Windows 10: Does the *Take Ownership* program from howtogeek work?

Discus and support Does the *Take Ownership* program from howtogeek work? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Pretty self explanatory lol. I'm trying to completely rid myself of Adobe Flash, but I'm not important or smart enough to own my own mind or computer,... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by DeathStalker, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Does the *Take Ownership* program from howtogeek work?

Pretty self explanatory lol. I'm trying to completely rid myself of Adobe Flash, but I'm not important or smart enough to own my own mind or computer, I need Microsoft to mismanage it all for me. As such when I get to the first step of the uninstallation guide posted by Adobe:

choose “Run”, and paste the following directory path into the field and click “OK”:

C:\Windo
    ws\system32\Macromed\Flash

You then get 4 folders:
    Flash.ocx
    FlashInstall.log
    FlashUtil_ActivX.dll
    FlashUtil_ActiveX.exe

And when you TRY to delete them, you are told: You require permission from TrustedInstaller to make changes

So in short, I'm not competent enough (according to MS) to remove files that are and have been directly linked to hacks. Don't use Adobe, but we won't let you get rid of it......

Anyway, I found a cool little program from HOWTO GEEK that makes it easy to transfer ownership.

Anyone use it? Does it work?

:)

DeathStalker, Jun 9, 2016
  2. Taffy087 Win User

Does everyone realise that MS's Peer-to-Peer Updating is paid for by them? Win10

Thanks for that so is HowToGeek wrong?

Taffy087, Jun 9, 2016
  3. bplambert Win User
    how does shared experience work

Thank you didn't even think about howtogeek......I love that site........I have even referred customers to the site for help

thank you

bplambert, Jun 9, 2016
  4. Does the *Take Ownership* program from howtogeek work?

Nevermind. I did not realize there was a version here. I used it and it worked.

Is it the same program as over at HowToGeek?

DeathStalker, Jun 9, 2016
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jun 9, 2016
  6. Removing them might not be the best option, since Windows likes to restore mandatory files.
    Check, if those files get re-created after Windows Updates, especially updates related to flash.
    You could take ownership and then remove all users, that prevents re-write and run, like:

TairikuOkami, Jun 9, 2016
  7. Yeah, it's nice.

I appreciate your reg edit entries like that. I've used several, since I *trust* you lol. Don't usually like to run stuff from folks I don't personally know .

DeathStalker, Jun 11, 2016
  8. Does the *Take Ownership* program from howtogeek work?

Thanks TairikuOkami that's a great idea, I'll remember it.

In this instance, I wasn't worried so much about taking any files Windows may THINK they want since I was replacing everything once I took it out.

I didn't realize though that windows came with Adobe files imbedded in it............

DeathStalker, Jun 11, 2016
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I'm glad we could help. *Smile

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Does the *Take Ownership* program from howtogeek work?

1. Does the *Take Ownership* program from howtogeek work? - Similar Threads - Does *Take Ownership*

2. Taking over the ownership

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taking over the ownership: Hi there,I'm having an issue with files stores within C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Here's the problem:I would like to play Forza Horizon 5 using my steering wheel - Logitech G27.To make it work in the desired way, I would like to add this game to the Logitech Profiler - this...
  3. Taking over the ownership

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Taking over the ownership: Hi there,I'm having an issue with files stores within C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Here's the problem:I would like to play Forza Horizon 5 using my steering wheel - Logitech G27.To make it work in the desired way, I would like to add this game to the Logitech Profiler - this...
  4. Taking ownership of program file folder Access denied

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Taking ownership of program file folder Access denied: [ATTACH] I was having issue with ownership/permission while I am developing using new language. Currently, my program file's owner is Trustedinstaller. I would need to change ownership so I can modify controls... but kept getting access is denied. I changed my user folder...
  5. take ownership works "sort of"

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    take ownership works "sort of": When I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro ver 2004 my PC developed administration issues. I ran the takeownership reg file on a few of my folders and it seemed to help. However, there is one program that backs up the registry each day and creates an exe file that can be run if you...
  6. take ownership works "sort of"

in Windows 10 Support
    take ownership works "sort of": When I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro ver 2004 my PC developed administration issues. I ran the takeownership reg file on a few of my folders and it seemed to help. However, there is one program that backs up the registry each day and creates an exe file that can be run if you...
  7. Trouble running programs from search, possibly related to permissions/taking ownership

Trouble running programs from search, possibly related to permissions/taking ownership: Recently, I upgraded my computer motherboard and all, reactivated Windows on my old hard drive, then put in a new SSD and installed Windows fresh on that. When I tried to transfer my files over from my old hard drive, I found that the my user directory Users/Owner/ didn't...
  8. Take ownership

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Take ownership: Is there an easy way to take ownership of files or folders so they can be deleted. I want to delete Windows.old and some of the Wallpapers I have added to windows 10. Thanks 139644
  9. Take ownership

in Windows 10 Support
    Take ownership: Is there an easy way to take ownership of files or folders so they can be deleted. I want to delete Windows.old and some of the Wallpapers I have added to windows 10. Thanks 139644
  10. Cant take ownership

Cant take ownership: So my problem started when i was on my steam and i was downloading a game onto my (D:) drive, it gave me a error message saying folder not writable. I narrowed the problem down to making steam folder in my (D:) drive not read only, but every time i try to, i get an error...