Windows 10: Does Update delete $WINDOWS.~BT before downloading the new one?

Discus and support Does Update delete $WINDOWS.~BT before downloading the new one? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Does Update delete $WINDOWS.~BT before downloading the new one? Or does it just overwrite the existing files? 55846 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by fjk61011, Jul 9, 2016.

1. fjk61011 Win User

Does Update delete $WINDOWS.~BT before downloading the new one?

Does Update delete $WINDOWS.~BT before downloading the new one? Or does it just overwrite the existing files?

:)

fjk61011, Jul 9, 2016
  2. BunnyJ New Member

I'll venture a guess that it overwrites it when the new update is downloaded. Build 14385 would overlay/update build 14383 then the update would be performed. I normally clean up the drive to get rid of that.

BunnyJ, Jul 9, 2016
  3. fjk61011 Win User
    I usually transfer that folder to a directory on my NAS but didn't have time this time. Didn't know Dona worked weekends. *Smile

fjk61011, Jul 9, 2016
  4. BunnyJ New Member

I bet they have to with the anniversary update coming.

BunnyJ, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Does Update delete $WINDOWS.~BT before downloading the new one? - Similar Threads - Does Update delete

2. $Windows.~BT New OS directory - Can't delete

in Windows 10 Support
    $Windows.~BT New OS directory - Can't delete: My win 10, WinSider PC, seems to have downloaded Win 11 in the Windows.~BT folder. It takes about 15GB of space. I want it gone. My system hardware (currently) can't use win11, which I think this is. I have tried all the usual methods to remove/delete. None can do it. the...
  3. HELP! Cant delete $windows.~BT :(

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HELP! Cant delete $windows.~BT :(: I have tried everything I can find online. I have tried the disk cleanup method & tried swapping admin. When I try to delete the windows BT folder it tells me I don't have the permissions. It is taking up a substantial amount of disk space and I really need it gone. Any...
  4. Two instances of a BT device and one cannot be deleted.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Two instances of a BT device and one cannot be deleted.: Just R&Rd the M.2 PCIe card with a AX200 on a HP 590 P066 MOBO. Works perfect! Just can't delete the old instance of a BT mouse. Probably a Realtec issue. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YN27322/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1...
  5. Cannot delete $Windows,~bt.

Cannot delete $Windows,~bt.: I have this folder that won't delete for anything i do. I tried everything i could find on the internet but nothing. I tried to change ownership but it always says "you need permission from x to change" x=anything i change ownership to. Some tips would be welcome. Btw,the...
  6. how to delete Windows BT folder ??

how to delete Windows BT folder ??: I am trying to do a fresh windows install via Refresh Tool and cant because it says couldn't start please try after pc reboot.After quite a bit of google-ing i found out that i need to delete the Windows BT Folder, but i can't even in safe mode because it says that i need...
  7. Delete Windows BT file

in Windows 10 Support
    Delete Windows BT file: Hi so I'm thinking of this weekend finally updating my windows version from 1809, but I have an issue I have about 20 GB's of space taken from a previous failed installed 1903 update back in September and I'd like to get rid of it. Disk Cleanup won't show the file and I...
  8. I can't delete $Windows.~BT

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can't delete $Windows.~BT: I have been trying for most of the day to delete $Windows.~BT (it's at 20 GB on a 100 GB machine) I've tried disk cleanup two or three times, run scripts I found online, run some app to "take control". I keep getting the error "Login as an administrator to..." but I am, and...
  9. How to delete $Windows.~BT folder

in Windows 10 Support
    How to delete $Windows.~BT folder: I have spent a lot of time trying to reinstall Windows 10 on my three year old Dell Inspiron desktop, but cannot do so. I'm no techie, but it seems to me that it is a $Windows.~BT folder that is preventing me from doing so. From what I have read, Windows should have done so...
  10. Delete Windows~BT folder before upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    Delete Windows~BT folder before upgrade: Hi, I have downloaded the Windows 10 Pro ISO using Media Creation Tool and I wanted to know if it is safe to delete the Windows~BT folder before doing the upgrade. Will it cause some mess with the upgrade process if I delete it or just to leave it intact? Thanks,...