Windows 10: Does VMware Bridged networking work?

Discus and support Does VMware Bridged networking work? in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I'm just wondering if it works to connect to the internet in VMs, if yes I might aswell just try it out. 4385 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by Kesto, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Kesto Win User

Does VMware Bridged networking work?

I'm just wondering if it works to connect to the internet in VMs, if yes I might aswell just try it out.

:)

Kesto, Feb 26, 2015

2. Ping General Failure with bridged Adaptors in Win10

Hello,

I have encountered a strange problem in Windows 10.

After creating a Network Bridge between two a network adapters I can not use ping or tracert. I get a General Failure error returned.

The adapters are a physical Network Adaptor and a VMWare virtual Adaptor. I can not use the bridging built into VMware version 10 as it doesn't work in Windows 10.

All other networking seems to work Ok on the host. nslookup, internet file sharing etc. I have tried disabling / reconfiguring the firewall but that doesn't seem to be the problem. I have tried removing protocols I don't use but that has not made any difference.

I can ping from the VM Guest Ok over the bridged connection.

As soon as I remove the bridge ping works again.

Any ideas as to a solution would be good.

Regards,

Brian.

Brian Beaumont, Feb 26, 2015
  3. Windows 10-connecting to my work network

Thank you for your help! I actually needed to make an adjustment on my VMware, virtual machine, bridging the ethernet, then I was finally able to see all of my work network.

helpiamfrustrated, Feb 26, 2015
  4. strollin Win User

I've connected to the internet from VMs using either bridged or NAT. The difference is that using NAT your VM shares the host's IP address while in bridged the VM gets it's own IP address. Either gets you a connection to the internet.

strollin, Feb 27, 2015
  5. dtong22 Win User
    By default and via expressed setting, both host and guest os are connected.

dtong22, Feb 27, 2015
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

To avoid confusion -- even if you use NAT your VM to the outside world has its own address and is seen as a complete separate computer.

NAT is useful if say you want to run VM's on a Laptop say in a College Dorm where there might only be a restricted number of IP's available on a Wifi network. So your Host and VM will share the same Wifi IP address but to the outside the VM will still be seen as a separate machine.

Bridged means the VM has both physically and internally a totally separate IP address (so a HOST and a VM will use 2 IP addresses on a Wifi network for example).

While testing I tend to prefer using Bridged Networking but in places like college dorms etc where the number of IP addresses on a Wifi network might be limited then I'd go for NAT.

Note also that NAT / Bridged Networking is supported by other VM systems - not just VMWARE.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Does VMware Bridged networking work? - Similar Threads - Does VMware Bridged

2. Bridging networks in VMware Pro 16

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Bridging networks in VMware Pro 16: So basically what I want to do is to have 2 internet connections available, 1st one being for example my mobile network connection, and second one my cable network connection that is connected to my router. I want the mobile network to be connected on the PC, and cable...
  3. NETWORK BRIDGED MODE

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    NETWORK BRIDGED MODE: MY MODEM HAS NO IPV6 ADDRESS DUE TO BRIDGED MODE. WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF I RESET IT? WHAT IS THE BEST OPTION TO FIX IT? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-bridged-mode/7cb9e208-c131-403f-baaa-0d0fc29d125a
  4. Vmware / VBOX Linux guests anyone got bridged networking

Vmware / VBOX Linux guests anyone got bridged networking: Hi folks on WINDOWS 10 Hosts - current 1903 or later builds has anyone got a Linux VM with any kernel > 4.15 to run in Bridged mode with either VBOX or VMWARE. NAT works fine but I need Bridged as these VM's need to be acessible from the whole network Pity it's Bridged...
  5. VMware Bridged network not working or detecting in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    VMware Bridged network not working or detecting in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]If you are trying to connect your virtual machine to a local area network computer, but it is not working, or the Bridged network is not working in VMware, here are some solutions you can use to fix this problem. [...] This post VMware Bridged network not...
  6. VPN and Network Bridge

VPN and Network Bridge: Hello, I have been having an issue with NAT type on my Nintendo switch. If I plug into the ethernet directly It has a NAT type error. This could be fixed on the router, but I do not have access. I then tried to use my computer as a hotspot, running the hotspot through a...
  7. Network Bridge not working correctly

Network Bridge not working correctly: Recently moved my PC to a new place, but forgot my wireless adapter (hence the use of a network bridge). The bridge is from a Windows 8.1 laptop to a Windows 10 desktop. (Wifi -> Ethernet) This worked for a few days, but suddenly I am unable to connect. I've tried doing...
  8. Windows network bridge

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows network bridge: I have an issue with my laptop, usually i use an IPO phone in my profession, and would like to make a bridge between WLAN and LAN network so i could connect my phone to internet via Ethernet. But when i starting a bridge the Wi-Fi just stops working, it still can see the...
  9. vmware release 12.5.0 fails on Bridged networking from Wifi host

vmware release 12.5.0 fails on Bridged networking from Wifi host: Hi there not a big problem but if my HOST has a wifi connection to the internet then a VM (or at least Networking) )doesn't work when enabling BRIDGED networking (NAT works OK but I need Bridged !!)) If I connect the host to my internet via Ethernet or to a...
  10. Network bridge no longer working

Network bridge no longer working: Hi, I'm having major problems bridging 2 network connections.... I usually run a bridge between the 2 onboard lan ports on my pc which connect to a second pc to give it internet and it has worked perfectly fine since I moved to windows 10 however the other week I did a...