Windows 10: does w10 disk cleanup remove windows updates?

Discus and support does w10 disk cleanup remove windows updates? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi does windows 10 disk cleanup remove windows updates? i updated windows 10 , i reboot and i run disk cleanup as administrator but in the list... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by drugo, Aug 16, 2015.

1. drugo Win User

does w10 disk cleanup remove windows updates?

Hi
    does windows 10 disk cleanup remove windows updates?

i updated windows 10 , i reboot and i run disk cleanup as administrator
    but in the list there is no entry about windows updates

thanks

:)

drugo, Aug 16, 2015
  2. slance310 Win User

Temporary Windows 10 Installation Folder/Files

Hi,

After Disk Cleanup does it's first scan, click "System Files" at the lower left of the window...

Disk Cleanup will scan again and list additional files\folders to remove...

slance310, Aug 16, 2015
  3. tasser33 Win User
    remove

windows old does not remove in disk cleanup how do I delete this please

tasser33, Aug 16, 2015
  4. sn00ker Win User

Windows Updates don't get deleted you have to uninstall them instead but you only uninstall an update if your having issues with your computer from installing that update, other wise if there no problems you leave the updates installed

sn00ker, Aug 17, 2015
  5. Joergi Win User
    That is not completely true.

Disk Cleanup has a button "Clean up system files" (or similar). After you press that button, it will scan the drive again and then the list will contain additional entries, with which you will be able to remove some system files: This includes files of old Windows installations. It also includes files, which have before been used to upgrade Windows to Windows 10 (temporary Windows installation files). And it includes an option to remove the backup files for uninstalling Windows updates. If you remove those files, you will no longer be able to go back to the old Windows version or to uninstall these updates.

However, if what you want to do is to actually uninstall a Windows Update, then this can be done in the Windows Update function of Windows 10. Note however that uninstalling updates in many cases opens security holes and often it also excludes you from getting following updates (as these may very well depend on what you have uninstalled). So if you have a problem with a Windows Update, you should not uninstall the update, but you should in fact solve that problem.

Joergi, Aug 18, 2015
  6. sn00ker Win User
    My statement was referring to the OS one is using at the moment not for the old versions.. That old version will get deleted after 30 days any ways if you don't roll back but I have to agree with your statement for the prior version

sn00ker, Aug 18, 2015
  7. drugo Win User
    hi
    i guess i was not clear ,sorry for my poor english
    i wanted to know if w10 disk cleanup is like w8
    i mean after an update , i was used under w8 to run disk cleanup and clean windows updates

does w10 disk cleanup remove windows updates? [​IMG]

drugo, Aug 18, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello drugo, *Smile

Windows Update Cleanup is an option in Disk Cleanup that you can use to have Windows automatically delete Windows updates that you no longer need to free up hard drive space.

The tutorial below can give you more details about this. It's the same in Windows 10.

Windows Update Cleanup in Windows 8

Brink, Aug 18, 2015
  9. drugo Win User
    hi Brink
    but under w10 i can not see the windows update cleanup in disk cleanup
    i do like the link/tutorial , but nothing , the option is not present in my w10 pro 64bit although i have updated it

drugo, Aug 18, 2015
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Usually when it's not available, there's nothing to clean.

Brink, Aug 18, 2015
  11. Kyhi Win User
    the windows updates that are part of the cleanup process are 30-45 days old...
    Meaning the old file backups are removed after 30-45days and only the Updated files remain..

to perform a disk cleanup Now and bypass the 45days waiting period >

EDIT - Mod inserted Link removed

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase

12. drugo Win User
    hi
    do you mean that after 30-45 days i can run disk cleanup and i can find Windows Update Cleanup?

and Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBas does not perform the same task of windows update cleanup
    thanks

drugo, Aug 18, 2015
  13. Kyhi Win User

Yes after the waiting period, it will clean-up old windows updated files..

/resetbase will remove ALL old windows updated files - regardless of when updated = no waiting period

Both methods do the same thing as far as clean-up - Except the waiting period

14. drugo Win User
    hi Kyhi

do you mean i have to run disk cleanup or there is a built in schedule that perform automatically the clean up?
    and may i know where did you find such information
    thansks

drugo, Aug 18, 2015
  15. Kyhi Win User
    you can add (create) it as a Scheduled task
    or you can run it as you have been

Thema:

1. does w10 disk cleanup remove windows updates? - Similar Threads - does w10 disk

2. Windows Server 2019 Disk Cleanup does not remove files from Windows Update Cleanup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Server 2019 Disk Cleanup does not remove files from Windows Update Cleanup: Hi AllI have a problem where I am unable to delete 16Gb of the really needed space on my VPS from the Windows Update Cleanup. System is running under Windows Server 2019 Standard; Version 1809; OS build 17763.4499.I spent hours trying to fing a solution on the internet but...
  3. Windows Server 2019 Disk Cleanup does not remove files from Windows Update Cleanup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Server 2019 Disk Cleanup does not remove files from Windows Update Cleanup: Hi AllI have a problem where I am unable to delete 16Gb of the really needed space on my VPS from the Windows Update Cleanup. System is running under Windows Server 2019 Standard; Version 1809; OS build 17763.4499.I spent hours trying to fing a solution on the internet but...
  4. Delete in disk cleanup windows update cleanup

Delete in disk cleanup windows update cleanup: Hello all!I''ve a question, in pratically i do all the possible for trying to delete the "Windows Update cleanup" from my disk, but anything resolve the issue and still display that there are 1GB of cache of WUC, some fix to this mess? The last thing that i could do is do the...
  5. Windows 11 Disk Cleanup will not Remove Windows Update Cleanup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Disk Cleanup will not Remove Windows Update Cleanup: I recently ran disk cleanup on Windows 11 Pro to clear about 2 gig of Windows Update files. This has always worked in the past, but, now, it acts like it's working except that the process moves much too quickly compared to how it used to work. If I run it again, it says that...
  6. Windows 11 Disk Cleanup will not Remove Windows Update Cleanup

Windows 11 Disk Cleanup will not Remove Windows Update Cleanup: I recently ran disk cleanup on Windows 11 Pro to clear about 2 gig of Windows Update files. This has always worked in the past, but, now, it acts like it's working except that the process moves much too quickly compared to how it used to work. If I run it again, it says that...
  7. Disk cleanup does not remove Windows Update Cleanup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk cleanup does not remove Windows Update Cleanup: Trying to remove Windows Update Cleanup files either using Settings windows or Disk Cleanup, it displays 4 GB of occupied space by Windows Update Cleanup but I cannot remove it either way. I tried:Running Disk Cleanup as administrator,Running Disk Cleanup in SafeMode,Manual...
  8. Disk Cleanup: Windows Update Cleanup Files

Disk Cleanup: Windows Update Cleanup Files: Usually, whenever I clear system files in the disk cleanup utility, all of the Windows Update Cleanup stuff goes away. However, recently is has been persistently coming back, which is very annoying, The size of the files is consistently around 54 MB. See screenshot below....
  9. Disk Cleanup not clearing Windows Update Cleanup

Disk Cleanup not clearing Windows Update Cleanup: I have been trying to clear my windows update cleanup for a bit now. I followed this answer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-cleanup-dont-cleans-windows-update-cleanup/1ef71d60-64d5-4de0-ac98-fcb6834bcffa on this post. But it did not work for me. I...
  10. disk cleanup does not work

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    disk cleanup does not work: disk cleanup not working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-cleanup-does-not-work/9ebff663-64b7-4d3d-ad73-a41c60b2e47b