Windows 10: Does W10 upgrade delete windows.old files afer 30 day rollback period?

Discus and support Does W10 upgrade delete windows.old files afer 30 day rollback period? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I did an upgrade (not a clean install) to Win 10 Pro on an older laptop running Win 7 Pro. This was just over 30 days ago. All seemed to go fine and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by YC4719, Jul 25, 2016.

1. YC4719 Win User

Does W10 upgrade delete windows.old files afer 30 day rollback period?

I did an upgrade (not a clean install) to Win 10 Pro on an older laptop running Win 7 Pro. This was just over 30 days ago. All seemed to go fine and the system is working fine, with a few minor hiccups.

I have no intentions to rollback to Win 7 so have decided to remove the windows.old folder and regain disk space. Looked at the properties of the windows.old folder and discovered it was empty. I then opened the Disk Cleanup tool>Clean up system files and could not find any Previous Windows installation option.

Does the Windows 10 upgrade process automatically remove the windows.old files and the Disk Cleanup>Previous Windows installation option after the 30 day rollback period expires? I'm not really low on disk space (more than half is free) but would like to clean this up if possible or get an idea what happened to the windows.old files.

TIA for replies

:)

YC4719, Jul 25, 2016
  2. denmarfl Win User

Why can't you roll back to Win7/Win8.1 after 30 Days from Win10 Upgeade?

To start off to be silly.....at midnight of the 30th day does the rollback files/feature turn into a Pumpkin?

Obviously there is saved files to achieve a Rollback...taking up space of your HDD. Will those files automatically delete?

I do see Windows.old in the C:\ root....I take it this is the rollback Folder that activates if you decide to rollback? Will that Folder just automatically delete...and the reason you cannot roll back on day 31?

Or is it a key within this Folder that counts down to 30 days and simply Locks out any roll back from being preformed...and all the Files in the Folder just remain...taking up space..and of no value?

Lastly Why? Why should it matter if you want to roll back in 2 days 30 days....or 6 months.....If you can do it within 30 days that same process should be available and present to do it any time after 30 days....you want.

denmarfl, Jul 25, 2016
  3. Where is Windows10Upgrade folder

To answer your question, yes, it will automatically delete after 30 days.

NOTE: Please be aware the
    Windows.old
    folder located at the root of the local disk where Windows 10 is installed will be deleted after 31 days automatically. The
    Windows.old folder is used to facilitate the rollback. So please perform any rollback within 31 days or this option will no longer be available. Otherwise, create a backup before upgrading to Windows 10.

Johann Eva, Jul 25, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jul 26, 2016
  5. YC4719 Win User
    Thanks for the quick response! I suspected that was the case but good to have confirmation that it was not some issue with the upgrade process for my system. Would it be OK to delete the empty windows.old folder? It just has 5 empty folders.

YC4719, Jul 26, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Sure, it'll be safe to delete.

Brink, Jul 26, 2016
  7. YC4719 Win User
    Thanks again for the info. Topic is solved.

YC4719, Jul 26, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Jul 26, 2016
  9. Maggidon Win User
    One still wonders why, though Windows removes "most" of the content in this Windows.old Folder, why it can't be fully removed with Disk Cleanup. There are times when the Folder is not removed either and I'm one of those fortunate ones who knows. Microsoft Support created a new Account on my system, moved that Folder over into that, deleted the new Account and informed me Windows.old would disappear within 30 days. That was well over a year ago and the TEST Folder they created and the Windows.old File they moved over into that still remains. It did not remove itself or self destruct. Most interesting.

Maggidon, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Does W10 upgrade delete windows.old files afer 30 day rollback period? - Similar Threads - Does W10 upgrade

2. security 30 day period ends today still not accessible.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    security 30 day period ends today still not accessible.: My 30 day waiting period for security access ends today and it still says not accessible. Is it a full 30 days from the minute to minute I changed my security info, or do I have a problem?...
  3. security 30 day period ends today still not accessible.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    security 30 day period ends today still not accessible.: My 30 day waiting period for security access ends today and it still says not accessible. Is it a full 30 days from the minute to minute I changed my security info, or do I have a problem?...
  4. security 30 day period ends today still not accessible.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. 30 day wait period for number change

30 day wait period for number change: I desperately need to login to my PC. We were attempting to problem solve the printer not communicating to the computer and we did a windows upgrade and restart. After the restart microsoft was asking for a verification pin that was going to an old number. When we attempted...
  6. 30 day period

30 day period: Hii, my partner had to reset his computer and now cant log in because of the 30 day pending period for changing his phone number. he really needs access to his computer is there any way to work around this as he doesnt have his old number anymore!...
  7. Rollback days for Windows 10 feature upgrades?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Rollback days for Windows 10 feature upgrades?: I thought this article was interesting and wanted to implement it: https://www.ghacks.net/2018/06/21/ch...ture-upgrades/ However it failed for me. Anyone know why it might not have worked and I got an error message? TIA. [img] 112894
  8. Change the number of rollback days for Windows 10 feature upgrades?

in Windows 10 Support
    Change the number of rollback days for Windows 10 feature upgrades?: I thought this article was interesting and wanted to implement it: https://www.ghacks.net/2018/06/21/ch...ture-upgrades/ However it failed for me. Anyone know why it might not have worked and I got an error message? TIA. [img] 112894
  9. 30 days / 10 days period re: anniversary update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    30 days / 10 days period re: anniversary update: As I understand it, with the new anniversary update after 10 days one will get disk space back relating to Windows.old being deleted automatically (if PC is left idle for a while). i also believe that if a PC upgrades to Windows 10 then the new anniversary update wouldn't...
  10. Manual downgrade from W10 to W7 AFTER 30 days? (.old folder exists)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Manual downgrade from W10 to W7 AFTER 30 days? (.old folder exists): Hi, I'm trying to downgrade to Windows 7 from Windows 10 and I have gone past the 30 days grace period so I can't do it via the usual Update & security -> Recovery -method as I'm getting the "Unfortunately you can't go back..." -message. HOWEVER, I'm seeing that the...