Windows 10: Does Win 10 Have the 10 MIDI Port limitation?

Discus and support Does Win 10 Have the 10 MIDI Port limitation? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; In older OS' there was a limitation of 10 MIDI ports. Does Win 10 have the same limitation? I have a utility to list the ports but it does not work... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by fireberd, Jun 21, 2017.

1. fireberd Win User

Does Win 10 Have the 10 MIDI Port limitation?

In older OS' there was a limitation of 10 MIDI ports. Does Win 10 have the same limitation?

I have a utility to list the ports but it does not work in Win 10. It only shows the Device Manager.

The utility is only a two line batch file.

set devmgr\_show\_nonpresent\_devices=1
    start Devmgmt.msc

:)

fireberd, Jun 21, 2017
  2. lankyHX Win User

Carbon 49 midi input windows 10

Having just installed new firmware on above midi keyboard, it is detected by windows 10 (is shown in devices, no errors) and is detected by Mixcraft 6.

It appears I am missing a MIDI in port, because Midi monitor says "Can not create Midi In Port from Device"

Does anyone have a solution for this because I do not have any idea how to solve it.

Thanks

lankyHX, Jun 21, 2017
  3. phajd Win User
    can't get sounds from a program when I run it in windows 10

I recently upgraded to win 10. Now my music program won't emit sounds. I contacted the author, here's what he had to say:

I’m afraid this is a bug in Windows 10 or in the upgrade procedure.

Windows presents to the world a ‘default MIDI out port’ (called the MIDI Mapper) and MIDI signals (such as are generated by Mozart’s play-back) which are sent to this virtual port are supposed to be redirected to the default
    MIDI output device defined in Windows. What seems to have happened (I’m basing this on other Mozart users’ experience) is that the upgrade to Windows 10 does not always set this mechanism up correctly, with the result you have seen.

You used to be able to define the default port in the Audio settings of he control panel, but I believe this is no longer possible in recent versions of Windows. Early versions of Mozart (including Mozart 5 – released
    in the year 2000) could only send MIDI output to the default port, and relied on your ability to set that up in Windows’ control panel. So I know of no way round the problem for Mozart 5.

More recent versions of Mozart, let you select the MIDI port through which to play (see attached image). People using the recent versions, who have experienced this problem, have simply selected an explicit MIDI-out port, instead of relying on the ‘MIDI
    mapper mechanism’ and then all has been well. But this is only available from Mozart 9 onwards.

When (if?) will MS windows remedy this situation???

phajd, Jun 21, 2017
  4. spunk Win User

spunk, Jun 23, 2017
  5. fireberd Win User
    That is referencing XP. There is a later post on the Sonar forum about this and Win 10 (not resolved) however the old Craig Anderton utility that worked in earlier OS' to list the MIDI devices no longer works (doesn't work for me) in Win 10. That is why I posted the question here.

(I use Cakewalk Sonar Platinum in my home recording studio).

Jack

fireberd, Jun 23, 2017
  6. I did a little code diving, and it appears that a MIDI program natively coded for Windows 10, using the new application interface, has at least 64 MIDI ports available to it, using 64 bit Windows.

I could be wrong on this, but it looks like the MIDI interface in WIN 10 will enumerate these ports. However, the code must use the new libraries. Older DAWs and software that hasn't been coded to use the new APIs won't access (probably) more than 10 ports, though Vista had a theoretical limit of 32, and I assume 7 did as well.

I looked at both the driver code, and the API for the MIDI interface, and it appears to have unlimited ports, though this is not possible realistically. Hence my limit of 64, which is my best educated guess, based on Microsoft's documentation of the driver and API.

If anyone has more information on this, please post and correct me if I'm wrong.

Gurn Blanston, Jun 24, 2017
  7. fireberd Win User
    The new UWP (Universal Windows Platform), which Cakewalk Sonar is suggesting for interfaces (in Sonar) works, BUT, devices such as my USB MIDI "Behringer X-Touch" does not work. I have an older USB wireless controller, a Frontier Tranzport, and it too will not work with the new UWP. I'm using the Windows "plug and play" drivers for the X-Touch. The X-Touch is a current device and if Behringer issued updated drivers that may work. The old (discontinued years ago) Frontier Tranzport only has a Vista driver and has to be installed in a compatibility mode in Win 10 (but is fully functional).

There are other USB connected devices, reported on the Cakewalk Sonar Forum, that do not work with UWP, in its current forum.

fireberd, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Does Win 10 Have the 10 MIDI Port limitation? - Similar Threads - Does MIDI Port

2. USB Midi problem in WIN 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Midi problem in WIN 10: Hello, I have a problem when using multiple identical generic USB-MIDI adapters where WIN10 does not differentiate them by Device Name. This causes my DAW cakewalk to have problems using them because it does not realize they are separate devices. I have changed their Friendly...
  3. USB Midi problem in WIN 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB Midi problem in WIN 10: Hello, I have a problem when using multiple identical generic USB-MIDI adapters where WIN10 does not differentiate them by Device Name. This causes my DAW cakewalk to have problems using them because it does not realize they are separate devices. I have changed their Friendly...
  4. USB Midi problem in WIN 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Ports in Win 10

Ports in Win 10: I need to download/upload data from/to a device that requires the available ports. I've checked this site and the only other reference to this type of problem was described and answered in Jan 2019. It did not help me at all. I added the legacy devices but there were still no...
  6. Korg Kronos is still not recognized in any midi port in Windows 10

Korg Kronos is still not recognized in any midi port in Windows 10: I have uninstalled, reinstalled the latest drivers from Korg for my Kronos. All the Windows drivers are apparently in check and up to date as well. The "Korg uninstall tool" reflects, that the Kronos is in "midi 1". So it should be fine, right? Also I use Waves Soundgrid....
  7. Win 10 limited access

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win 10 limited access: Desktop photo gone, replaced with blue windows image. Desktop icons different than from day before. No personal files on desktop. "Type here to search" does not work. Left click on bottom left windows icon does not work. Right click on this icon does work. No response...
  8. win 10 does not detect external hard drive on usb port

win 10 does not detect external hard drive on usb port: I recently set up a new computer with Windows 10. I have a hard drive that I removed from my old (Windows XP) PC, and have connected it as an external drive to the new Win 10 PC using a Unitek USB 3.0 to IDE adapter. The adapter has its own power supply so it does not need...
  9. Strange MIDI-port problem (10-port-limitation-related)

Strange MIDI-port problem (10-port-limitation-related): I have a VOX AMP that has a USB connection uses a KORG USB midi driver. The connection has to be made within the old 10-MIDI-port-limitation, otherwise the AMP is not seen by the KORG Tone Room software. Now strange things (?) happen on my Windows 10 system. The driver...
  10. Does windows(10/server-2016) have privileged ports ?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Does windows(10/server-2016) have privileged ports ?: I can bind to any un-used privileged ports with out admin credentials. Is this expected ? Is there no concept of privileged ports in new versions of windows ? Below are the steps I followed: Logged in as non-admin user in Windows-server 2016. Installed python and started...