Windows 10: Does Win10 secretly install updates during "Reset PC' ?

Discus and support Does Win10 secretly install updates during "Reset PC' ? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I just 'Reset' my tablet/laptop which has Win10 on it. It's an Asus T100-chi with 64gb main drive and 2gb of RAM. It's been at it for half an hour now... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TiredofWindows, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Does Win10 secretly install updates during "Reset PC' ?

I just 'Reset' my tablet/laptop which has Win10 on it. It's an Asus T100-chi with 64gb main drive and 2gb of RAM. It's been at it for half an hour now and only proceeds to about 55%

I opted to just reset and just remove my files. No HDD wiping. Surely this shouldn't take this long?

So I was thinking. Win10 is insanely aggressive with updates (which I don't like). Is Win10 now secretly downloading updates so my 'Reset PC' will have the latest updates "fresh out the box". Could this be a possibility?

:)

TiredofWindows, Jun 5, 2016

2. Windows 10 update (KB3176937/KB3176935/KB3189866) lost my personalized settings

Updates are not "secretly" installed in Win10 (Home), they're automatically
    installed.

Win10 Anniversary Update (Win10 1607) is a Feature update, not a normal Windows update. KB3193494 is a normal update which can be uninstalled. KB3176936 is a Servicing Stack update for Win10 1607 - it
    cannot be uninstalled.

You would go back to your previous version of Win10 via Settings |
    Update & security | Recovery.

If your PC is running Win10 1607, you can go back to Win10 1511 (or Win10 RTW) within ten (10) days of upgrading.

Cite:

PA Bear - MS MVP, Jun 5, 2016
  3. DvSchuetz Win User
    Windows 10 update (KB3176937/KB3176935/KB3189866) lost my personalized settings

Updates are not "secretly" installed in Win10 (Home), they're automatically
    installed.

Hi PA Bear,

thank you for your answer.

I am talking of Windows 10 professional, not Home. (But I saw the same problems on "Home" versions, too).

If an update, feature update or upgrade does not show up in the list of installed updates, I allow myself to call it "secretly installed" - no matter wether the installation had been done automatically, by an administrator, or by a software distribution routine.

And at least on the machines I saw the past 2 weeks, the Win10 Anniversary Update (Win10 1607) did not show in the list of Windows 10 pro, but changed a lot of settings.

Thanks for your information about the MS updates, MS support pages etc., but this is not new. My colleagues and I already read everything which was accessible on MS pages.

If there is some NEW information, how to handle the settings-back-to-default, destroyed menues and privacy-problems of the Windows 10 1067 update (and following ones), this could be helpful.

DvSchuetz, Jun 5, 2016
  4. Ztruker Win User

Does Win10 secretly install updates during "Reset PC' ?

It will download updates for the installer, but not for the installed OS, at least that's my understanding of how it works. This allows MS to fix install problems on the fly so to speak.

Ztruker, Jun 5, 2016
  5. I don't get what you're saying. I closed my wi-fi. And you're saying Win10 will still download updates during a PC-Reset ?

Second question, it finished resetting and was busy setting it up again for a few minutes. Restarted. And BOOM. It somehow got 3 updates from somewhere and installed them. Persistantly.
    Where did it get these updates from I thought I had a fresh install?.
    Did it store it somewhere from my previous use of this laptop. Where did it hid it? Because I did not setup wifi yet with this fresh startup !!

Third question; so, this doesn't bother you at all..?

6. Berton Win User
    Third: it doesn't bother me. I think the last 3 versions of Windows do better than the earlier versions in trying to keep the OS up to date. If I didn't like the way it's done I'd go fully to Linux, most of the more than 250 versions don't automatically do updates, have to go to Update Manager and do it manually. I do have Linux Mint on a Desktop and a Notebook but also have WinXP, Vista and Win7 on computers, just have to boot them up now and then to do the updates. The WinXP is not intended to be on the Internet, has 3.5" and 5.25" floppy drives and a 250MB Zip drive useful for data recovery from clients' old computers.

Berton, Jun 5, 2016
  7. Edwin New Member
    These are all defaults:

Does Win10 secretly install updates during "Reset PC' ? [​IMG]

Edwin, Jun 5, 2016
  8. Kyhi Win User

When you reset windows - it rebuilds itself from the windows database already on your PC...

So yes, it will install the update, if they where already present on the old OS... without an internet connection...

Kyhi, Jun 5, 2016
  9. I guess the new updates will be stored on the recovery partition?
    And no way to get rid if it ?

10. Ztruker Win User
    If you want to get rid of things, the best bet is to do a Clean Install, removing all partitions during the process. Then you have the option of getting updates for the install process or not and no other updates will be installed until after you have a internet connection.

Ztruker, Jun 5, 2016
  11. Kyhi Win User
    Windows 10 only uses a small 450MB Recovery Partition - and rebuilds itself from winsxs...
    So, No the updates are not stored on the recovery partition..

Windows 8/8.1 had a second recovery partition 10-20GB that held the factory Recovery Image..
    But that partition was only created by the OEM Mfg...

Have not seen your disk/partition layout. so can not say if you or if you do not have an OEM Recovery Image Partition...

Thema:

1. Does Win10 secretly install updates during "Reset PC' ? - Similar Threads - Does Win10 secretly

2. Probem during win10 installation

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Probem during win10 installation: [ATTACH] Hello everyone, I was installing windows10 on my computer, at the beginning everything was fine, language choice, keyboard, wifi, outlook, cortana.. But suddenly the screen flickers and turns grey. Here is a video of what happened. Have you any ideas? Thank...
  3. Pc froze during reset

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Pc froze during reset: Hi I need help my pc froze during a reset and is now stuck at 76% what should I do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-froze-during-reset/d20ac668-32dd-4e62-af7d-1cd76bd7e2c7
  4. Does The Secretive Invention By Microsoft Exist?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does The Secretive Invention By Microsoft Exist?: Dear Sir/Madam, How's things?,I explored in further websites and in one random website I found ?, somebody mentioned that Microsoft already has a secretive invention not declared to the public, and also mentioned Microsoft are planning to invest in other secretive invention/s...
  5. Does The Secretive Invention By Microsoft Exist?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does The Secretive Invention By Microsoft Exist?: Dear Sir/Madam, How's things?,I explored in further websites and in one random website I found ?, somebody mentioned that Microsoft already has a secretive invention not declared to the public, and also mentioned Microsoft are planning to invest in other secretive invention/s...
  6. Win10 Freezes during install

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win10 Freezes during install: New build. Install of Win10 the first time went through and worked for 3 months then crashed continously. Formatted drive and reinstalled Win10 and seconds after signing in the system would just freeze. New hard drive try loading Win10 freezes during installation. Have...
  7. Can't Install Harry Potter & The Chamber of Secrets on PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Install Harry Potter & The Chamber of Secrets on PC: Hi there As the title says I can't install CoS on my PC. I've got windows 10. Whenever I put in the disc to install the game, the installation guide won't even come up, so I can install it. Why's that? What can I do? Thanks in advance...
  8. New PC crashing during Win10 PRO install

New PC crashing during Win10 PRO install: Hi, Created a bootable USB with the media creation tool and windows is either showing errors or crashing during any % on install. On the hard drive I used from my old PC, one of the errors i got was, "Windows installation encountered and unexpected error. Verify that the...
  9. PC reset during possible Win10 install, and now PC won't boot

PC reset during possible Win10 install, and now PC won't boot: Hi all, Hoping somebody can help. I think my PC was trying to install Windows 10 when I did some Windows Updates recently. I use the word "think" because I never signed up for the free upgrade and I never agreed for Windows 10 to be installed on my PC and I don't recall...
  10. reset pc vs clean install win10

reset pc vs clean install win10: The reason I'm asking is because clicking the update and security in the windows settings brings up a page with different options where there is one for recovery. Clicking that recovery option opens another page with 3 options on the right - reset this pc; advanced start-up;...