Windows 10: Does Win8 Pro Retail licence carry over to Win10 Pro upgrade?

Discus and support Does Win8 Pro Retail licence carry over to Win10 Pro upgrade? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Gday all Trying to get my situation sorted. I have just upgraded my Win 8 Pro Retail version. Everything has gone smooth touch wood. Being a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by bobbavet, Jul 29, 2015.

1. bobbavet Win User

Does Win8 Pro Retail licence carry over to Win10 Pro upgrade?

Gday all

Trying to get my situation sorted.

I have just upgraded my Win 8 Pro Retail version. Everything has gone smooth touch wood.

Being a retail license, I can use this copy on one machine at any time. ie I build a new machine I still can use as long as my previous machine is made redundant.

I am planning a new build within 3 weeks. Does my Win8 Pro license still stand?
    Can I install Win 10 Pro on my new machine and activate upon logging in?

In the Win10 FAQ it states Win10 is connected to hardware and that you can do a fresh install on the same machine.

QUOTE:
    Can I reinstall Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading?

Yes. Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device. You won’t need a product key for re-activations on the same hardware. If you make a meaningful change to your hardware, you may need to contact customer support to help with activation. You’ll also be able to create your own installation media like a USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded.

/QUOTE

Has my previous licence been trumped?

I have checked my account products. Win10 Pro is listed with "To Be Filled By O.E.M."

Thankyou for any advice.

Cheers Bob

:)

bobbavet, Jul 29, 2015
  2. kjl1956 Win User

upgrade from win10 home to pro using a win8 product key

Is this possible ?

Win7 home on an OEM pc.

I have a win 8 pro ( not 8.1 upgrade retail product key.

If I upgrade win7 hp to win10 home,

can I use the win8 pro retail key to upgrade win10 to pro

edition ?

kjl1956, Jul 29, 2015
  3. Transferring Win 10 license to new machine.

Thanks for the info Andre.

Before I read your post, I had phoned Microsoft support and posed the question to them. Thet said that even though I had a full retail win8 Pro licence, that licence was consumed by the free upgrade to Win 10 pro. I pointed out that was not what was being
    posted on the support forum. Full retail licences were supposed to be transferrable. In any case, that was the position taken by the person I talked to. She said she had consulted with someone "higher up". I ended up purchasing a new retail win10 home licence
    for the new box. Don't know what the real answer is to the licence transferrability question. Lots of confusing info out there. Maybe that's what Microsoft wants.

Thanks anyway for your help

regards

Don

DonAnderson_12, Jul 29, 2015
  4. Does Win8 Pro Retail licence carry over to Win10 Pro upgrade?

As far as i understand once you have upgraded your Win8 retail version to Win10, a hardware hash is generated that ties your Windows license to the hardware in your pc. In your case your free upgrade to Win10 has been tied to your pc.

Therefore your current Win8 Pro license has been used and connected to your current PC, if you build a new pc you probably have to purchase a Win7 / Win8 license from which you can upgrade.

Like the MS Q & A states:

Building a new pc would fall under 'meaningful hardware change'. And as far as i know it has never been possible to transfer a license to a new or other pc.

NickyNails, Jul 29, 2015
  5. In theory it all works. In practice, I ended up having to do an upgrade from Windows 8.1 Pro since my clean install of Windows 10 Pro refused to activate with the infamous "blocked key" message - this, despite having completed the upgrade/successfully activated twice before (both Insider build 10240 and the final bits via the Media Creation Tool, both to Windows 10 Pro).

My advice: Keep your Windows 8 installation source handy since you might find yourself stuck having to do a clean install of that first, and activating it with your Windows 8.xx Pro key, before upgrading to Windows 10 Pro.

Of course, my experience could have just been an anomaly associated with the overloaded activation servers on the 29th. Or it could have been because my Windows 8 OEM key (which was linked to my system's BIOS/hardware when I first bought it and thus auto-activated from day one) was for the "Core" (i.e. Home) version of 8.xx and I was trying to clean install of Pro 10.xx.

Bottom Line: Your mileage may vary, and a clean install properly activating - even after a prior upgrade/activation - is far from a given at the moment.

RCK

rkennedy01, Jul 29, 2015
  6. Not true. It has been possible, in the past, to transfer a Retail license to another PC. OEM licenses could not be transferred.

Mark Phelps, Jul 29, 2015
  7. Mystere Win User
    Yes, read the EULA, it explicitly states that retail copies, even upgraded copies are eligible to be transferred, if you delete the copy of windows on the old PC.

However, that does not mean you can install Windows 10 Upgrade clean on a new PC. You will have to install your older OS, then re-upgrade on a new PC. The upgrade is tied to your Windows 7/8.1 product key, so the activation servers will know that you have a retail copy and will continue to activate even after the 1 year free upgrade period.

Mystere, Jul 29, 2015
  8. bobbavet Win User

Gday Mystere

Yeh I was pretty sure the license was mine to transfer. Was hoping this would have been made "seamless". The ability for OS transfer is part of what you are paying "premium" for retail.

It maybe yet as I haven't found anyone else who has gone through the procedure.

I am hoping now Win10 Pro product is linked to my account with no OEM spec, it is enough for me to load a full Win 10 Pro install and hook up to my account.

Though as you say I might have to go through the Win 8 pro Install again to gain the upgrade again.

Will come and report back but may be some time.

Thankyou to everyone for the input.

Cheers Bob

bobbavet, Jul 30, 2015
  9. Maggelan Win User
    I'll be doing this very thing at the weekend with a new mobo and cpu as the install goosed my old mobo.

So I'll be reinstalling windows 8.1 pro clean and clear then upgrading to windows 10 again....Hope it does ruin anything else.

Maggelan, Jul 30, 2015
  10. The problem is that the Win10 "upgrade" is tied to the specific machine - irrespective of the original Win7/8/8.1 license. You can't transfer that Win 10 license to another machine.

Mark Phelps, Jul 30, 2015
  11. Mystere Win User
    Yes, you can. You can't transfer the *ACTIVATION* to a new machine. The license explicitly states you can transfer your upgrade license.

Mystere, Jul 30, 2015
  12. groze Win User
    I never read where it actually says that in the EULA. It say's it retains the transferable right when upgraded. How will that work with activation? If you put windows 7 or 8.1 retail on another machine, the activation will see that windows 7 or 8.1 retail version has been upgraded to 10 and it may not activate.

groze, Jul 30, 2015
  13. Mystere Win User

That's simply not the case. Your old keys do not get invalidated.

Mystere, Jul 30, 2015
  14. Maggelan Win User
    So as I stated the other day I would be doing this.

Went from a gigabyte g1 sniper board running a 3770k...borked bios*Sad

Reinstalled windows 8 pro onto a new mobo today Gigabyte z97 and new cpu I5 4690k, So a completely different board.

Activated windows which required the phone in validation and Installed windows 10 straight from there without bothering with updates or any other driver changes, Used a USB which I preloaded it on.

Installed windows 10 in about 20 min and updated drivers and software and no issues with Licencing at all.

So yeah it will work just fine.

Maggelan, Jul 31, 2015
  15. bobbavet Win User
    Thanks for that.

Was hoping you would try the full install of Win10 straight up and bypass Win8 installation to see what would happen.

So a reinstall win8 at worse then.

Cheers

bobbavet, Aug 1, 2015
Thema:

1. Does Win8 Pro Retail licence carry over to Win10 Pro upgrade? - Similar Threads - Does Win8 Pro

2. Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?: Same as the question. 1 Do I need a new Win10 product key ? 2 Do I need to enter the old Win8 product key ? I don't know my Win8 key as it was bought many years ago. Thank you for answering....
  3. Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?: Same as the question. 1 Do I need a new Win10 product key ? 2 Do I need to enter the old Win8 product key ? I don't know my Win8 key as it was bought many years ago. Thank you for answering....
  4. Upgrade from win10 OEM Home to Retail Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade from win10 OEM Home to Retail Pro: Hello there,I got a new lenovo laptop with windows 10 oem home installed, and I want to upgrade it to retail pro through key I've purchased.Which is better: To just apply the upgrade or do clean install? Or it doesn't matter?Thank you...
  5. windows 10 Pro retail licence

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    windows 10 Pro retail licence: Hi, I wanted to use windows 10 Pro retail license for my business but one of the reseller told me that business can only use volume licensing and using a retail license will be a non compliance. i tried looking up couldn't find any information. can anyone please guide...
  6. Windows 10 Pro full retail licence

Windows 10 Pro full retail licence: I have a PC running with a full Windows 10 Pro retail licence. I need to replace this PC it is failing with a new build and I understand I can use the same licence on the new PC if I uninstall the licence from my current PC. It is on a USB with a product key. I have two...
  7. Win10 pro key from win 7 upgrade licence

Win10 pro key from win 7 upgrade licence: Hi Guys I just replace mobo and cpu. I need to reactivate I purchased win10 pro upgrade from win7 back in 2017, I still have the Order and is its in my purchase history but I can not find the key anywhere to reactivate. Logged in with my account but still wont...
  8. Can I upgrade OEM Win10 Home to Retail Win10 Pro?

Can I upgrade OEM Win10 Home to Retail Win10 Pro?: Moving to a new PC that I'm building myself. Currently running Dell OEM Win10 Home. New PC will have Win10 Pro, MSDN (multi-activation or retail keys) version. My backup software can do a "system transfer" that will allow me to transfer everything (OS and applications) to...
  9. Retail Win8 upgraded to Win10: Use the license on a new machine in the

Retail Win8 upgraded to Win10: Use the license on a new machine in the: I'm wondering how to use my migrated Win8 Retail license on my next machine. It will be a few years from now and well past the free upgrade offer. I've used Showkey and I'm not sure if what it returns will be usable. If memory serves me (don't trust it myself) I think it's...
  10. Win10 upgrade and a retail purchase of Win10 Pro- not the same.

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 upgrade and a retail purchase of Win10 Pro- not the same.: MAJOR EDIT 2015-08-02 I am grateful for the folks that have posted here to correct my outdated views of how Win10 is activated and stored. My age is showing and what used to be the way I remembered how MS protected its OS from being misused and how it can remember that my...