Windows 10: Does Windows 10 Deserve a More Powerful Anti-Virus...

Discus and support Does Windows 10 Deserve a More Powerful Anti-Virus... in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Windows Defender is the built-in Windows 8.1 anti-virus and anti-spyware solution, and chances are that it’s going to be the default security app in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, Dec 21, 2014.

1. labeeman Win User

Does Windows 10 Deserve a More Powerful Anti-Virus...

More

:)

labeeman, Dec 21, 2014
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Creator's Update

If you are running a third party Anti Virus, this error is more than likely caused by your Anti-virus, best option is to uninstall the Anti Virus, upgrade Windows 10 and re-install your Anti Virus.

DaveM121, Dec 21, 2014
  3. Appenge Win User
    [Windows 10] Can't update pc or clean my pc.

What does the virus do? Like, all that it does is disable Windows Defender and prevent you from updating or does it do something more?

If the answer is yes (or no, doesn't matter) I would suggest installing a third-party anti-virus, performing a full-system scan, have it quarantine or delete you're virus, then uninstall it. Of course, if you are satisfied with this anti-virus, then don't
    uninstall it, but if you prefer Windows Defender then uninstall it.

-

Appenge, Dec 21, 2014
  4. LittleJay Win User

Defender is all I've ever used on W8.1, along with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware, but it helps that I'm the only one who uses this PC.

LittleJay, Dec 21, 2014
  5. Winuser Win User
    I think MS should continue to improve Windows Defender. If MS wants users to stay with Defender it needs to stay equal to, or better than third-party software.

Winuser, Dec 22, 2014
  6. LEE
    Lee Win User
    . . ."WHY. . .*What

7. Winuser Win User
    Why not? *Smile

Winuser, Dec 22, 2014
  8. LEE
    Lee Win User

Why not? *Smile Typical answer from someone who has no ideas. . .*Wink

9. WHS
    whs Win User
    I guess everybody has their own AV strategies. I used to be a big Norton fan and I still have a license for 3 systems on the shelf - it is from 2012 but it could still be used. Since 2012 I depended on MSE/Defender but I have changed my ways.

1. I make frequent images so that I can always bail myself out.

2. Most of my internet work I do from a Linux virtual system. There it is unlikely to get infected. In addition, Linux is fun - Mint Mate in my case.

10. Winuser Win User
    Why not? *Smile Typical answer from someone who had not ideas. . .*Wink I had a idea once. Or so I thought I did. *Smile

Winuser, Dec 22, 2014
  11. Edwin New Member
    I'm sure MS could improve upon it as long as they don't implement all kinds of frustrating hidden restrictions, having UAC going berserk, for example.

Edwin, Dec 22, 2014
  12. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Most AV software (note for INDIVIDUALS -- not CORPORATES) is a TOTAL WASTE OF TIME these days. Anything on top of the latest Windows defender just isn't worth it.

Virus attacks are not a mega problem any more --people have turned their attention to much more damaging stuff which cannot be protected against by Software --typical examples are email from a "cloned" web site - say a Tax office saying you are entitled to a refund - click on the link for details of how to apply etc.

People's Bank accounts get EMPTIED by very simple ruses like that. There's loads of other online scams that can't be stopped by Software. YOU have to surf and use the internet wisely.

Even a lot of "Malware" - usually the stuff that pops up zillions of web site links isn't really "Malware" - annoying though the effects are the program might actually be a perfectly legitimate Windows application obeying all the rules and hence won't be recognized as "Malware".

The other way people get taken in is by clicking the wrong download button when downloading software or failing to go through ALL the steps and UNCLICK all the toolbars / offers.

A lot of sites DELIBERATELY confuse the poor downloader with a multitude of green arrows etc hoping that the user clicks the wrong arrow rather than the well hidden REAL DOWNLOAD LINK.

Computer security is about 99% YOU and 1% for AV stuff. It's not worth installing 3rd party stuff and above all certainly not worth PAYING for any.

Note these remarks apply to INDIVIDUAL users rather than large corporate networks where other forms of defence need to be employed.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 22, 2014
  13. BunnyJ New Member

From my experience the best A/V is the one found between your ears.

YMMV *Wink

BunnyJ, Dec 22, 2014
  14. wptski Win User
    Defender allowed me to download malware infected software so what does that tell you?

wptski, Dec 22, 2014
  15. LEE
    Lee Win User
    Tells me you shouldn't be downloading pirated software. . .

Thema:

1. Does Windows 10 Deserve a More Powerful Anti-Virus... - Similar Threads - Does Deserve More

2. Anti virus

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Anti virus: You taken money from my account twice. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/anti-virus/dc66fc03-d9e9-4073-a253-4907e5c5e6ec
  3. anti virus

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    anti virus: I BOUGHT A ACER ASPIRER 3 LAPTOP ON EBAY , I AM HAPPY WITH IT WAS NEW ONE OPENED BUT NOT USED ,I BOUGHT IT ON THE 09/2O21 BUT IT PREINSTALLED ANTIVRUS ON NORTON AND McAfee ? not sure if they are same company , but i am getting pestered by emails , and pop-ups when I TRY TO...
  4. Anti-Virus

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Anti-Virus: Does Microsoft family features have anti-virus protection? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/anti-virus/ce4ea72a-e824-464f-9934-4d58e990b41c
  5. anti virus

anti virus: Can I run AVG anti virus along with Windows Defender https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/anti-virus/934f8e1b-28d3-4e6c-9bad-d2a36c616128
  6. windows 10 Anti- virus

windows 10 Anti- virus: I am trying to install and run the Windows 10 Anti Virus /Malware module but I can't figure out how to get it on my computer and turn it on. Can someone give me some direction on this issue.? I am not a programmer so coding instructions fail me....
  7. Anti-virus

Anti-virus: I turned off windows anti-virus temporarily. And after that, it says my antivirus is managed by my organization. Do you have any ideas on how to fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/anti-virus/e4ee73b4-9a3b-49bf-a111-30b138c063d6
  8. anti virus

anti virus: McAfee tidak bekerja dengan baik di windowa 10 pro https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/anti-virus/cd328de3-b9e6-4672-a146-d2cd17298a50
  9. Anti-Virus

Anti-Virus: Which is the best anti-virus for Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/anti-virus/1db9fa74-6a73-43c0-9d79-6d1eda9c0749
  10. anti virus

in Windows 10 Customization
    anti virus: Hi my anti virus is not activated and i don't have anyother anti virus program installed in my computer any soulotion ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/anti-virus/ee86beff-02f1-4265-854d-d048ab2a5b04