Windows 10: does windows 10 still force users to use a new password

Discus and support does windows 10 still force users to use a new password in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Windows demands and forces us to use anew password, and can never go back to a previous password, even if we were forced to change it by Windows! have... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by retiredat44, Oct 1, 2016.

1. does windows 10 still force users to use a new password

Windows demands and forces us to use anew password, and can never go back to a previous password, even if we were forced to change it by Windows! have they reversed this crazy insane worthless policy? A long while back it said it demanded I use a new password, and can no longer use the password I chose and used. Then it always said you cannot use a previously used password. I thought a bunch of sane people found and way to tell M.s. to butt out, and leave us alone. or are we still being screwed? *Mad*Mad

:)

retiredat44, Oct 1, 2016
  2. Vlasto77 Win User

"User must change password at next logon" does not work

Hi,

I want to force Windows 10 Pro user to change his password at next logon. I wanted to do it using Computer Management -> Local Users and Groups -> Users. I clicked on user and opened Properties dialog, then I click on 'User must change password at next logon'
    and OK. I tried it several times, but without success. User can still login with his old password and he is not asked to change password at logon. How can I force user to change his password at next logon?

Mentioned user account is linked with Microsoft account. Could this be reason why it does not work? If yes, is there a way how to to do it for Microsoft account?

Thanks,

Vlasto

Vlasto77, Oct 1, 2016
  3. T2016TS Win User
    Default password if not set with "net user /add"

I have a problem unlocking a windows 10 machine.

When I first got the machine, there was only a standard user local account.

There did seem to be an administrator account in Windows 10, but there was no way to switch to it.

The login screen did not offer other users down the left hand bottom corner - I'm not sure why.

To activate the administrator account, I went into safe mode and was offered to login as "administrator" - the built-in administrator account.

This worked okay - it had no password.

Next step was to try to create an administrator account.

I used command prompt (admin) to create a new account like this:

net user fred /add

net localgroup administrators /add fred

net user fred passwordreq:no

Then I rebooted.

My problem:

* There is now an administrator account that is not the built-in one

* The password required bit doesn't seem to work - it still prompts for a password and will not accept an empty one or a blank one

* I still can't select a user on the login screen - only the new "fred" user is a candidate

* When I boot to safe mode it offers the "fred" user to login ... but I don't have a password that works

So my question is:

What is the default password if you don't assign one in net user /add?

Is there any way to force safe mode to use the in-built administrator?

Is there any way to force switch of the login to let me login as the old standard user?

(This doesn't fix the problem, but would let me get back into the machine at least).

I can't even do a system restore point or reinstall windows 10 from the repair menu without the administrator password

Is there anyway to force a windows 10 reinstall?

Help appreciated

T2016TS, Oct 1, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

does windows 10 still force users to use a new password

Windows never forces you to use a new password. If you change it on an MS account, sure you cannot revert to an old password and quite rightly so for security reasons. MS are not going to make their system insecure just because you want to use bad practice.

Change to a local account and you can use whatever password you like!

cereberus, Oct 1, 2016
  5. That will only happen if it has been set via a group policy etc. Companies will set that policy, but your stock Retail install will not prompt you to change your password. You don't even have t use a password if you don't want to. It's an option that has to be set manually, its not mandatory. I'm guessing you were using a company PC when that occurred?

alphanumeric, Oct 1, 2016
  6. TairikuOkami, Oct 1, 2016
  7. None of those, as far as I know though, are enabled by default? The default is to let you use your password for as long as you want and only change it if you want too. Good info non the less though.

alphanumeric, Oct 1, 2016
  8. does windows 10 still force users to use a new password

you guys are overthinking it, it's my computer, the password is also used on other computers I own, one day it told me I could no longer use that password... and can never use a password used in the past. if it isn't allowed why can I use it on other MS computers I own with Win10 ? Why does MS care what password I use? it is no illegal words, it meets the computer's and Windows requirements, for amount of characters, why does every here make it harder? it is my frakkin computer in my house... and that password is ok on other computers in my home, using Win10. What else is confusing everyone? You would think you would be on my side instead of making things up...

retiredat44, Oct 3, 2016
  9. Winuser Win User
    Who's making things up? I know that I never had Windows force me to change my password. I still use my original password on all my devices and I have been on Windows 10 since it was first released to the Insider program.

Winuser, Oct 3, 2016
  10. Im' not making anything up. The only Windows PC I have ever been prompted to change my password on, was my company supplied PC. And then that was only because the IT person set a group policy for it to do that. That same group policy has settings so you can't reuse your password, password length, etc.
    On my own personal PC's that I setup, that never ever happens. I can use no password or the same password forever and a day. My choice.

Where did you buy the PC that prompted you to change passwords? What version of Windows was it running and who installed/setup Windows on that PC?

alphanumeric, Oct 3, 2016
  11. please, no questions that have nothing to do with anything,,, I built the computer a few years ago... I have been building computers since 1980, one of my degrees is in computer engineering....

retiredat44, Oct 4, 2016
  12. btw, unless someone didn't understand,, it is the Sign in to your Microsoft account account, my Hotmail, the login to my computer, not as local but my ms login. The main login, the logs me into my computer, it check the ms server and says, you cannot use that password. Even though I had used it many years, and stil use it on other computers I own with win10. When it starts and boots, you go the login....

why the hell does it care what my password is, and why does it care that I want to use the password of my choice, why does it tell me, I can never use the password again, even though it was the one who forced me to change it, years after I had been suing that password. Every few years if I change a component, MS pokes their nose in and says we must confirm it is your computer, if you change a component, maybe I changed a video card, I don't know because I have been a zillion computers... maybe it demanded me to confirm my computer is my computer, that was a few years ago, but it made me change my password against my will. I had no choice, or else it would have locked me out of my computer. That's the only thing that might have ms stick it's nose in my business.

retiredat44, Oct 4, 2016
  13. does windows 10 still force users to use a new password

Must have something to do with Hot Mail? I use my Microsoft ID on all my PC's, even my XBOX, and have been using the same password since day one. The e-mail I use for my Microsoft ID is my ISP supplied e-mail account. And a unique password I only ever use to log into my Microsoft ID. My actual e-mail account password is a totally different password.

alphanumeric, Oct 4, 2016
  14. It's not always easy to judge somebodies skill set, or their PC background from a few posts, so you ask questions to get more info. If that had been a second hand PC from a company, it all would have made sense. Now that I know you built it yourself, that's not the deal. I can try another avenue of approach to sort it out. I can't remember anybody having this sort of issue recently. Not on a home built PC.

I too have been building my own PC's, since about Windows 3.1 and DOS. My Work PC is the only one I was ever prompted to change my logon password on. If that's been changed on the Windows 10 Retail version, it hasn't caught up to me yet?

alphanumeric, Oct 4, 2016
  15. I see the solution! Set a BIOS password on all your computers and have Windows sign you in automatically. That way the only way they can take your password away is to prise it from your cold dead hand.

markweatherill, Oct 4, 2016
Thema:

does windows 10 still force users to use a new password

1. does windows 10 still force users to use a new password - Similar Threads - does still force

2. Old user still exists on C drive, new user does not exist on C drive but still exists...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old user still exists on C drive, new user does not exist on C drive but still exists...: I recently turned in my laptop for repair after I got a blue screen error. The error led to the laptop not being able to boot since no boot service was being detected. The repair comments state that Windows was restored to original factory settings. I set up the laptop and...
  3. Old user still exists on C drive, new user does not exist on C drive but still exists...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Old user still exists on C drive, new user does not exist on C drive but still exists...: I recently turned in my laptop for repair after I got a blue screen error. The error led to the laptop not being able to boot since no boot service was being detected. The repair comments state that Windows was restored to original factory settings. I set up the laptop and...
  4. Why does windows force me to have a password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Why does windows force me to have a password: I have already tried stuff online and switched to a local account and did the netplwiz and it still doesn't work. WHY DOES MICROSOFT WANT ME TO HAVE A PASSWORD ON MY LAPTOP THIS BADLY I DON'T WANT IT. Just a side note to, this all started because of a recent reset I did on my...
  5. Why does windows force me to have a password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does windows force me to have a password: I have already tried stuff online and switched to a local account and did the netplwiz and it still doesn't work. WHY DOES MICROSOFT WANT ME TO HAVE A PASSWORD ON MY LAPTOP THIS BADLY I DON'T WANT IT. Just a side note to, this all started because of a recent reset I did on my...
  6. Why does windows force me to have a password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Does the "utilman.exe" password bypass still work on windows 10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Does the "utilman.exe" password bypass still work on windows 10?: Hey everyone, So I tried the method of password recovery where you go into system image recovery and change the names of utilman.exe and cmd.exe to get an admin shell and change the user password. But when trying it on my pc it didn't allow me to go into the system image...
  8. safe mode with networking but still no internet, cannot use new passwords.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    safe mode with networking but still no internet, cannot use new passwords.: windows 10 desktop I booted in safe mode because of Bluetooth issues but windows is asking for a password insteadof usual PIN. Saved password doesn't work so I change it on my Microsoft account page using my phone. Computer never connects to the internet even when booting...
  9. Recover user Password for Windows 10 while still being logged in

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Recover user Password for Windows 10 while still being logged in: Hello, I for some weird reasons lost the Windows 10 user password on my computer. I am however still logged in to the computer and can launch applications with admins right. I am a bit scared to use most recovery tools which needs you to close your computer in order to get...
  10. Windows made me a new user and forces me to log in with password.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows made me a new user and forces me to log in with password.: When I first installed windows I made a single user and I didnt want to log in with password home computer. Out of thin air, suddenly one day Windows made a copy of my user and asks me to log in with this user very time I start the computer. Asks for a password which I dont...