Windows 10: Does Windows 7 Backup & Restore work in Windows 10?

Discus and support Does Windows 7 Backup & Restore work in Windows 10? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I've noticed after upgrading Windows 7 to 10 that Backup and Restore (from 7) remains available in the Control Panel. The app appears to work, but I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Victek, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Victek Win User

Does Windows 7 Backup & Restore work in Windows 10?

I've noticed after upgrading Windows 7 to 10 that Backup and Restore (from 7) remains available in the Control Panel. The app appears to work, but I tried running a backup, including system image, on a friend's system and heard that it failed. I haven't looked at it yet, but wondered if perhaps this app doesn't work properly in Windows 10? TIA for help with this.

:)

Victek, Nov 22, 2015
  2. dar501 Win User

Windows Backup Image Restore in Windows 10

Oct 12, 2015

Dear Microsoft:

I upgraded my computer from Windows 8 to Windows 10. I have never had Windows 7 on this machine.

Your Backup & Restore labeling is confusing. Why??

QUESTION: Does or does not the Windows 7 Backup & Restore program work for Windows 10 systems? Can or can I not make an image of my Windows 10 machine with the (Windows 7) Backup & Restore Program and then restore that image onto a new hard drive when
    my current hard drive inevitably crashes. The (Windows 7) program SEEMS to have created a bona fide image, but I have not tried to restore that Windows 10 system image to a new hard drive using the (Windows 7) Backup & Restore program.

PLEASE may someone from Microsoft answer this, and then please update your knowledge base articles. It is SUCH a basic concern.

The following is background for my question:

1. My understanding is that only an IMAGE will restore everything including OS, programs, settings, & data. So this is what I want to create. Am I wrong?

2. All queries I make within Microsoft websites regarding "restoring from an image file" leads to the following, which says it is for Windows 7.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/restore-computer-from-system-image-backup#1TC=windows-7

3. From Control panel in Windows 10 -> the backup & restore option goes to this: "Control Panel\System and Security\Backup and Restore (Windows 7)."

* There does not seem to be anything for Windows 10

4. Upon querying "Backup & Recovery Options for Windows 10," I find this, which does not mention image files but rather describes something called a recovery drive and some other options I find confusing.

"http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options"

5. The options listed for "Recovery Options in Windows 10" are the following. None of these options relate to Image files saved to external media, and therefore NONE OF THEM (as I understand it) can restore a computer to a new hard drive.... the
    key number one thing we users need in a backup.

* Restore from a system restore point

* Reset your PC

* Go back to your previous version of Windows

* Use a recovery drive to reinstall Windows

* Use installation media to reinstall Windows

I mean, really. So, so, so much information and capability, yet no simple mention as to whether the Windows 7 Backup & Restore program (which is what you get from within Windows 10 Control Panel) works to create & restore Windows 10 system images.

It seems it might but you do not say so & users cannot take chances with such an important issue.

Thank you.

dar501, Nov 22, 2015
  3. Backup & Restore (windows7)

I don't understand why the control panel shows Backup & Restore (windows 7) Doesn't this work in 8.1 and 10?? Why does it put windows 7 in parenthesis as if it's only for that version.

Jim K of MD, Nov 22, 2015
  4. davidhk Win User

Use the File History instead. You can find it in Control Panel.
    Open File History and you will see options to do file backup as well as System Image Backup.

davidhk, Nov 22, 2015
  5. OldMike65 Win User
    Lots of folks on here use other backup methods / programs. I would suggest trying a program called Macrium Reflect for all your image backs. Works much better than Windows backup.

OldMike65, Nov 22, 2015
  6. davidhk Win User
    Pretty soon, someone is going to suggest using Macrium Reflect v6.1.936.
    I never use it and Windows' own built-in System Image backup has yet to fail me since the days of Windows 7.

That said, you can investigate that option. You might end up using it after all.

Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free

davidhk, Nov 22, 2015
  7. OldMike65 Win User
    Excellent choice... *Wink

OldMike65, Nov 22, 2015
  8. Does Windows 7 Backup & Restore work in Windows 10?

To answer your question Yes It does work, already tried it and restored using it, one thing the drive used to backup the image might need to be scanned for hard drive errors prior to running the system image. A client of mine tried to backup up his system and failed three times, told him to check his external hard drive. He scanned it and what you do know errors were fixed and backup ran smoothly afterwards.

rsedgarroman, Nov 22, 2015
  9. Victek Win User
    Thanks for confirming that the old program still works. I'll try error-checking the external drive and then run the backup again.

Victek, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Does Windows 7 Backup & Restore work in Windows 10? - Similar Threads - Does Backup Restore

2. Backup and Restore Windows 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backup and Restore Windows 7: HiMy Windows is 11 x64 latest version, When I want use Backup and Restore Windows 7, my Drive F: is also selected by default to backup and I can not deselect it why this happed?! I want just backup my drive C: because the backup size is too large with drivce F:...
  3. Backup and Restore Windows 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backup and Restore Windows 7: Why does Control Panel Backup and Restore show Windows 7?. I have a desktop with Windows 11 and Microsoft. Am I going to have a problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-and-restore-windows-7/ffb8d8b9-02e6-40fa-9373-25dd94f803bb
  4. Windows 7 Backup and Restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 7 Backup and Restore: It is my understanding that the Windows 7 Backup and Restore is no longer supported, in Windows 10. It's a shame because this was a simple yet robust backup of a Windows 7 then Windows 10 system.Can anyone recommend a 3rd party app that will feature backups to an external...
  5. Windows 7 Backup and Restore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 7 Backup and Restore: It is my understanding that the Windows 7 Backup and Restore is no longer supported, in Windows 10. It's a shame because this was a simple yet robust backup of a Windows 7 then Windows 10 system.Can anyone recommend a 3rd party app that will feature backups to an external...
  6. Windows 7 Backup and Restore

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Windows 7 backup & restore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 7 backup & restore: Why do you use Windows 7 for backup & restore? 7 seems so out of date and I'm having a problem with it reading the Flash drive in it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-7-backup-restore/188f750b-188d-435d-af8f-159f500286db
  8. Windows 10 - Backup and Restore Windows 7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 - Backup and Restore Windows 7: Just a simple question to save me some work... LOLIf you take a W10 computer, and then create a dual boot with a Linux install, will the Backup and Restore system image include the Linux partitions, or ignore them?...
  9. Windows 7 backup/restore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 7 backup/restore: I use this backup option on weekdays. Unfortunately the app does not allow skipping weekend days. Is there a way to automatically limit backups to weekdays? Thanks for any help....
  10. Backup and Restore (Windows 7)

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup and Restore (Windows 7): My PC originally came with XP (OEM). My upgrade procedure was to install an SSD and load 8.1 on that. When booting for the first time, I was surprised but pleased to see that I had the choice of 8.1 or XP. Subsequently, I opted to upgrade to Win 10 and that worked in the same...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. can a windows 7 backup work on a windows 10 pro machine?

2. how does backup restore work

3. how does win7 backup work

4. does windows restore work,
  5. does windows 7 backup work on windows 10,
  6. does windows 10 backup and restore work