Windows 10: Does Windows defragment your SSD?

Discus and support Does Windows defragment your SSD? in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; The real and complete story - Does Windows defragment your SSD? Storage Optimizer will defrag an SSD once a month if volume snapshots are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by A Guy, Dec 14, 2014.

1. A Guy Win User

Does Windows defragment your SSD?

The real and complete story - Does Windows defragment your SSD?

Source

A Guy, Dec 14, 2014
  2. LEE
    Lee Win User

No, it hasn't attempted to do so as of yet. . .

:)

3. SarahKong Win User
    Stop windows from defragmenting my SSD!!!

Hi Bob I get this all the time when I teach the Windows 10 course and I will tell you what I tell my students.

Yes, Windows does put all your drives even if they are SSD in the Weekly defrag schedule.

However, Windows will NOT defrag an SSD weekly, at the most it does this once a month. And you are right that SSD drives don't get fragmented as often but they still can get fragmented. So the defrag utility will first check to see if if requires a defrag before
    defraging. It actually does that on all types of drives.

And for SSD drives it doesn't do the same "traditional defrag" as with HDD drives.

It actually uses a TRIM feature to defrag SSD drives.

So you don't need to disable it all. I have a laptop that has a SSD drive and it has been running Windows 10 for 2 years with defrag enabled it is absolutely fine.

I hope this helps. Take care.

SarahKong, Dec 14, 2014
  4. BulldogXX Win User

W10 Cannot defrag hard drive volumes which are defined as SSDs.

Windows 10 does not defrag an SSD because an SSD should not be defragged.

BulldogXX, Dec 14, 2014
  5. swarfega Win User
    swarfega, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Does Windows defragment your SSD? - Similar Threads - Does defragment SSD

2. Defrag a SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Defrag a SSD: I have been told by Norton it is safe to use the defrag tool that is built into Windows even on a SSD. I was very worried about it because I have damaged a SSD before by defragmenting it. I used a third party tool then though. Has Norton lied to me about this. I had paid for...
  3. Defrag a SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Defrag a SSD: I have been told by Norton it is safe to use the defrag tool that is built into Windows even on a SSD. I was very worried about it because I have damaged a SSD before by defragmenting it. I used a third party tool then though. Has Norton lied to me about this. I had paid for...
  4. Defrag SSD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Defrag SSD: I have read defragging a SSD (Solid State drive) can greatly shorten its life so i have turned off scheduled maintenance for C & D discs however it seems to turn itself back on again over time (i am not sure when) is there a way of uninstalling windows 10 defrag or a...
  5. SSD defrag issue?

SSD defrag issue?: I'm using Auslogic Disk Defrag 9 I have an M2 SSD and have set 'Use only SSD defragmentation' and 'Use the TRIM feature' The analysis shows the drive as 17% defragmented but when I run the optimisation it finishes OK but the still shows 17% defragmented Am I missing...
  6. SSD optimize and defrag

SSD optimize and defrag: There is a place to set optimize and defrag on or off and to schedule if you wish. However, I have read that Windows does this itself in its own way. So should I turn mine off or leave it set to a month? 130044
  7. Defragmenting SSD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Defragmenting SSD: Hello everyone! Should I use the Windows 10 built-in Disk Defragmentation to defragment my SSD? Some internet sources suggest that SSDs should never be defragmented. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defragmenting-ssd/a3aac7a1-64d5-4c2d-a1eb-7b62401e340d
  8. To defrag or not to defrag? (non-SSD)

To defrag or not to defrag? (non-SSD): My secondary drive in my system is a 2TB standard hard drive. Windows 10 defrag (both UI and the command line) tells me that I do not need to defrag the disk, as it is "0% fragmented" but upon delving a little further (adding the /V switch) I notice that it doesn't include...
  9. Should SSD's be defragmented

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Should SSD's be defragmented: Here's a question that hasn't been asked before I'm sure. Should an SSD be defragmented. Seriously, I know there are a multitude of opinions on this but was wondering what the experts on this forum would suggest. 52802
  10. NO !! Do NOT Defrag SSD's !!

NO !! Do NOT Defrag SSD's !!: Should You Defrag an SSD? 77319