Windows 10: does WinMail work on windows 10 - latest builds- or not?

Discus and support does WinMail work on windows 10 - latest builds- or not? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; in the past, i was able to install WinMail on windows 10. lately, it does not work anymore my Q : does it still work on windows 10 - latest builds-... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by nobus, Aug 26, 2017.

1. nobus Win User

does WinMail work on windows 10 - latest builds- or not?

in the past, i was able to install WinMail on windows 10.
    lately, it does not work anymore
    my Q : does it still work on windows 10 - latest builds- or not
    if it does work, plse post the procedure to get it working

:)

nobus, Aug 26, 2017

2. cursor freezes in winmail

cursor freezes in winmail. oS Win 10

NicolasYamodis, Aug 26, 2017
  3. WINDOWS 10 media creation tool question

Hello everyone,

I have windows 10 x86 build 14393, my windows update is not working well, i tryed to fix it but nothing helps.

I want to update to the latest version, and here is my question:

If i download WINDOWS 10 from windows media creation tool, does it contain latest windows 10 build(creators update)?

Saldin Sale, Aug 26, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

This is really not a good idea and not possible with latest build.

See the long thread here and the last post #94.
    Windows Mail - Page 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Go third party and use a non-MS email client.
    I went through this around Win 7-> Win 8 - I moved to Thunderbird. There are others. And they are far more rational about where they store your data.

There are 3rd party email backup programs which can help you transfer email from one client to another. Just search for them.

dalchina, Aug 26, 2017
  5. nobus Win User
    tx for your info, but i don't see why it's not possible - he just says he has to move the msicdrl30.dll file

and if possible - i do NOT want another mail program - it has served me for 10 years well( very easy and simple)

nobus, Aug 26, 2017
  6. Berton Win User
    The Insider Preview Version 1703 Build 16393 is still in BETA or Test mode, hasn't become an RTM/Release to Market/Manufacturing yet. The deprecation notes seen can be taken as warnings that some things will change. The latest RTM Version is 1703 Build 15063.540.

As it has always been since the Technical Preview [now Insider Preview] became available a few years ago the whole premise has been for testing, determine what works or doesn't work. I have it on 2 older computers for that very reason and have never put it on my work/production machines.

Berton, Aug 26, 2017
  7. enigma101 Win User
    I'm still using WinMail in version 15063.540 which as far as i know is the latest stable release. Yes, it's true that you have to have a good copy of the original WinMail from Vista, but it still works.

enigma101, Aug 26, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

I quite understand- bear in mind I used Outlook Express for years, then was forced to move to Winmail, then they killed that off (yes I resurrected it for a bit in Win 8).

But I got totally fed up with the difficulty of using an MS product which was arbitrarily changing. And having to grovel around for ways of moving email, contacts, rules from one client to another.

Now I have a rational solution independent of MS, which lets me move my accounts, rules, contacts etc from machine to machine.

So I took the view- bye bye MS- I've had enough.

The Win 10 product is evolving rapidly. Relying on deprecated solutions will eventually leave you stuck.

dalchina, Aug 26, 2017
  9. Berton Win User
    Care to share what that solution is? Other folks will be interested as there's several choices 'out there'. One that works for some folks is OE Classic, quite similar to the old Outlook Express. Another is the E-Mail Client that comes with the SeaMonkey browser. All I mentioned are free.

Berton, Aug 26, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    As I said above- non-MS - Mozilla Thunderbird. Free of MS's vagaries and design decisions.

dalchina, Aug 27, 2017
  11. nobus Win User
    Berton, are you saying it works?

then post how you install it plse, or a link to the procedure

nobus, Aug 27, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    If you have followed the above, build numbers up to 1703 Build 15063.540 probably permit it to be hacked and resurrected; the Insider build quoted above and in my first post indicates it will not in future.

The decision, as they say, is yours.

dalchina, Aug 27, 2017
  13. nobus Win User

ok - i understand
    what i fail to grasp - is that now nobody seems to care to make it work again, as they did in the past

nobus, Aug 30, 2017
  14. gpstoloff Win User
    That's because, in MS's mind, the new visually-oriented programs supplied in W10 are technically superior -- because they "are technically safer".

AFAIK, there were possible exploits in some of the WinMail components that MS didn't want to perpetuate.

gpstoloff, Sep 1, 2017
  15. nobus Win User
    i meant with " is that now nobody seems to care to make it work again, as they did in the past " that no other people than MS tried to make it work

nobus, Sep 2, 2017
Thema:

1. does WinMail work on windows 10 - latest builds- or not? - Similar Threads - does WinMail latest

2. Windows 11 latest build's spotlight not working !

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 latest build's spotlight not working !: Hello windows spotlight is working on lockscreen but not on desktop. i am on the latest build of windows 11. i only see the default windows 11 wallpaper despite activating spotlight, have tried the troubleshooting found on the web but in vain. can someone help me please?...
  3. Windows 11 latest build's spotlight not working !

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 latest build's spotlight not working !: Hello windows spotlight is working on lockscreen but not on desktop. i am on the latest build of windows 11. i only see the default windows 11 wallpaper despite activating spotlight, have tried the troubleshooting found on the web but in vain. can someone help me please?...
  4. Latest windows 10 Build

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Latest windows 10 Build: 12-17-2020 my computer did a download of Windows 10 version 2004 and version 20H2 - KB4592438, Build andSCREWED MY COMPUTER UP. BEWARE!!!!!! It has taken me most of TODAY to finally get my system to go back to the last build 1909.WHY?? Because the download had me running so...
  5. Winmail on Win 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Winmail on Win 10: Running Winmail on Win 10. When reading some mail or deleting some I get a message saying "An error has occured can't perform opening or perform deleting". Would appreciate any help....
  6. WinMail Removal

in Browsers and Email
    WinMail Removal: Windows 10 1809 - 10.0.17763.195 If you use NTLite to reconfigure your Windows version and you remove the windows mail option, components, windows apps, apps, windows mail, then it breaks the ability to install windows mail. I am talking about the old Vista mail or WinMail....
  7. WinMail Removal

in Windows 10 Customization
    WinMail Removal: Windows 10 1809 - 10.0.17763.195 If you use NTLite to reconfigure your Windows version and you remove the windows mail option, components, windows apps, apps, windows mail, then it breaks the ability to install windows mail. I am talking about the old Vista mail or WinMail....
  8. Windows 10 1803 Latest Build

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 1803 Latest Build: Hi There: Where can i download the latest Media Creation Tool for the above subject? Thank You https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/windows-10-1803-latest-build/79e0b9e7-3d13-4b6c-8454-4b653df9805b
  9. Winmail will no longer work with 1709 version

in Browsers and Email
    Winmail will no longer work with 1709 version: The previous work around with windows did work however I'm seeing this error with 1709 version. Any ideas? Windows Mail could not be started because one of its libraries could not be found. 95699
  10. Wifi not working in latest build?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wifi not working in latest build?: I noticed a few comments that people were having trouble with wifi working in 14279. I just upgraded a computer to the latest, with wifi working on the previous build. What I found was that for some reason "Bridging" mode was enabled on the wifi adapter. I tried to remove...