Windows 10: done w windows 10 until further notice

Discus and support done w windows 10 until further notice in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Matt, was it a clean install ? yes it was a clean install. i had originally done just a upgrade to 10 from the start of the insider preview versions... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Matt Siegel, Oct 10, 2015.

1. done w windows 10 until further notice

yes it was a clean install. i had originally done just a upgrade to 10 from the start of the insider preview versions but then at some point i had to wipe the drive and do a clean install. and for quite awhile things seemed fine until my power supply took a dump at which point i got it replaced under warranty. I am pretty sure i connected the power supply the right way as it powers on normally however as i said before it would not shut down properly under 10. now i will see once i get my new hd from wd and i reinstall windows 7 if it shuts down completely as it did before under 7 and if not then i will have to contact antec about it and see what they say because there were no connection instructions that came w the new power supply and it came w the power cables separately in a bag and i had to put them where i believed was the correct spot. now some were pretty obvious where they went but others not so much. with all this in mind i don't believe i have anything connected wrong as it would not power up most likely.

Matt Siegel, Oct 11, 2015

2. I doubt very much if you've got the cables wrong. Pretty foolproof.
    Have you tried turning off "fast startup" if it's enabled ?

done w windows 10 until further notice [​IMG]

Torquemada, Oct 11, 2015
  3. essenbe Win User
    essenbe, Oct 11, 2015
  4. done w windows 10 until further notice

• it definitely is not anything to do with those settings. in my mind it still is 10 itself that has become a issue because of all of what i have described etc. but if anything i suppose it could very well be the power supply itself. Im wondering if even though the new replacement power supply works that its not doing what the mb is telling it to do via windows as in not shutting down properly. which if that is the case then antec again will have to send me another replacement

Matt Siegel, Oct 12, 2015
  5. again i highly doubt that those settings had anything to do with this as I already had those things set up properly.

6. Tony K Win User
    Hi there. So to get this straight in my mind > Did you have this problem before you changed out the PSU or immediately after you changed it out?

Tony K, Oct 12, 2015
  7. the problem of not shutting down properly and having to do a hard shutdown and then in turn having my windows startup file get corrupted seemed to of happened after changing out the psu.

8. Tony K Win User

done w windows 10 until further notice

Thanks. I had a PSU go out last winter. Did the old PSU go out with a puff of smoke, an electrical smell, or just plain quit? Do you think there was any power surge? Do you use a protected surge strip?

Tony K, Oct 12, 2015
  9. spapakons Win User
    Well, when a computer cannot complete a shutdown it even tries to terminate an application which hanged and not responding, or some drivers do not work properly. So if you ever want to try again, I would advise updating all the drivers in Windows 7 before the upgrading to Windows 10. Then update again if any hardware has separate drivers for Windows 10 (usually chipset and graphics card). I recommend getting latest drivers directly from Intel, Realtek etc and avoid outdated versions in Asus's website. After all drivers are properly installed starting from the chipset and graphics, then the rest, you should have no problems with shutdown. Restart and shutdown your computer several times to make sure everything is OK before taking the time to install applications. If there is no Windows 10 driver for a specific hardware, try the Windows 8 driver. If there is no Windows 8 driver, try Windows 7 or even Vista for very old hardware. In some rare cases even a Windows XP driver would work (for 32-bit Windows 10 only), but this is better avoided. Thanks to the backwards compatibility even some strange Dell models some other poster mentioned should work with at least Vista drivers or XP drivers for 32-bit Windows 10.

Now to break the myth of minimum requirements:

Minimum requirements for acceptable performance:
    1GHz CPU, 1GB RAM NX/PAE support at motherboard and DirectX 9 compatible graphics card with at least Vista drivers (WDDM). This in practice means at least Intel Celeron 1.xGhz socket 775 or newer with 1GB DDR RAM or newer and at least nVidia Geforce FX 5200 or same era ATI model or at least Intel 945G.

Real minimum requirements with patched kernel to bypass NX/PAE compliance checks (32-bit version only) :
    500MHz or newer CPU, 512MB RAM (clean installation) or 1GB RAM (for upgrade), any VGA card. This means that after patching some certain system files to bypass NX/PAE compliance check you can install Windows 8 or 10 32-bit to any computer at least Pentium III but of course it will be too slow to be useful. I have done it with Windows 8 only for proof of concept.

So if you have at least an Intel chipset 945G or same era AMD motherboard, your system IS compatible with Windows 10. At least the 32-bit version. Of course it will not be magically faster than Windows XP, it might be a little slower, but it can be done and certainly it's worth the effort as you breath new life to your old system. The only real requirement is Vista drivers or newer (WDDM) for the graphics card, otherwise you are stuck with Microsoft Basic Display Adapter which has no hardware acceleration and makes using the interface very slow.

My advice is: If your system meets minimum requirements (1GHz CPU, 1GB RAM) but there are no WDDM drivers for your graphics card, then keep using Windows XP or upgrade to Windows 7 Maximum. Windows 7 allow installing Windows XP graphics drivers (XPDM) so you at least have some 3D acceleration. If there are WDDM drivers (at least Vista) for your graphics card and also your motherboard supports NX/PAE, then you can install Windows 8 or 10. They will have similar performance to Windows 7. Been there, done that.

spapakons, Oct 12, 2015
  10. well the first time; i heard a pop sound and the system shut off and yes i did smell a slight burning or electrical smell. But odd thing is my system still powered up and was fine for quite some time after that. Then one evening the same thing happened again only this time the psu went totally dead as in all i heard was a faint whining like sound but there was no power going to the system and the only thing i saw was the power and reset lights on the motherboard were on but the system would not power up so i knew at that point the psu was toast. so i called antec at that point and they replaced the psu under warranty. but i don't believe the psu could be the bugger at the heart of these issues unless even though the new psu powers the system on completely that it also could still be partially bad out of the box.no power surge and yes i have always used a high end surge strip.

11. news flash! this is way old news! I've known about all of the above for far too long. been there done this! i am still very very reluctant at this point to go back to 10 at all because of the glitches etc that still exist in 10 and no one can tell me that there arent still glitches in 10 because it is still new to the tech world as it stands. and due to that there can still be issues. especially because they are still issuing insider previews.

12. CountMike New Member
    I have been saying all along, HW problems are 90% of time cause of SW problems and more so for OS.

CountMike, Oct 12, 2015
  13. spapakons Win User

Yes, the PSU caused damage to your hard disk. When a PSU dies it sometimes kills something else, like your hard disk or motherboard. When you saw the first symptoms of your hard disk being very slow, you should have backup or clone it and replace it.

spapakons, Oct 12, 2015
  14. spapakons Win User
    Yes, a newer system will have some glitches but updates will eventually fix them. Do you think Windows 8 or even 7 are bug-free? If they were, there would be no more critical updates, only optional adding new features. So glitches should not be a stopping factor as long as you can fix them.

spapakons, Oct 12, 2015
  15. Get out of the windows environment and test it. Grab a flash drive, download a linux distro Ubuntu, Mint, Puppy , whatever. Download
    Rufus Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way Create the bootable linux flash drive using Rufus F8 at start up to get in the boot menu.Select the flash drive. Let it load and have a play in there, see if it'll shutdown normally. That'll tell you something. Then you can return to Windows.

How to create a UEFI live linux usb using Rufus. https://www.vanstechelman.eu/content...inux-usb-stick

Torquemada, Oct 12, 2015
Thema:

1. done w windows 10 until further notice - Similar Threads - done until further

2. Wired Network stops working until Troubleshoot by Windows is done.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wired Network stops working until Troubleshoot by Windows is done.: I am having an issue and cant seem to find anyone else with this problem. Currently running Windows 11 on 2 PCs and Windows 10 on a 3rd. My set up is ISP provided Modem - ISP provided Eero - Network Switch GS605 - 3 PCs. Randomly at a point in the day my wired internet...
  3. Wired Network stops working until Troubleshoot by Windows is done.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wired Network stops working until Troubleshoot by Windows is done.: I am having an issue and cant seem to find anyone else with this problem. Currently running Windows 11 on 2 PCs and Windows 10 on a 3rd. My set up is ISP provided Modem - ISP provided Eero - Network Switch GS605 - 3 PCs. Randomly at a point in the day my wired internet...
  4. Windows 10 Black Screen + Recovery Mode after Clean Reinstall W/O further actions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Black Screen + Recovery Mode after Clean Reinstall W/O further actions: Greetings,Recently I moved apartments and after booting up my PC with Windows 10 I noticed that after I would get the typical Windows start-up screen the monitor would go into Power Save mode. I have had this issue once before and I was able to overcome it because I think...
  5. Windows 10 Black Screen + Recovery Mode after Clean Reinstall W/O further actions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Black Screen + Recovery Mode after Clean Reinstall W/O further actions: Greetings,Recently I moved apartments and after booting up my PC with Windows 10 I noticed that after I would get the typical Windows start-up screen the monitor would go into Power Save mode. I have had this issue once before and I was able to overcome it because I think...
  6. Windows 10 Black Screen + Recovery Mode after Clean Reinstall W/O further actions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Microsoft takes down PC Health Check Tool until further notice

in Windows 10 Support
    Microsoft takes down PC Health Check Tool until further notice: Microsoft takes down PC Health Check Tool until further notice 181919
  8. windows 10 expiry notice

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    windows 10 expiry notice: Hi, My client is running windows 10 pro, but one of the pc last week suddenly display dialog windows about to expire at random time. I just check control panel->system, it say windows is activated. Is there a reason why all the sudden this one pc displaying windows...
  9. Windows 10 Restarts with no notice

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Restarts with no notice: This week my laptop with Windows 10 has restarted without any notice. It has happened at least one time each day for the last 4 days. I will be at my computer and all of a sudden it restarts and I see a black screen with the Dell logo. Is there something I can do to stop my...
  10. Windows 10 Anniversary Update rollout may not be done until November

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Anniversary Update rollout may not be done until November: Microsoft is notifying Windows 10 users that the Anniversary Update may take three months to roll out. If you still haven't gotten the Windows 10 Anniversary Update pushed to your device yet, there may be some valid reasons why. Microsoft began rolling out the latest...