Windows 10: done w windows 10 until further notice

Discus and support done w windows 10 until further notice in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Another cool utility that allows booting from USB even on unsupported motherboards is Plop Boot Manager. It is an ISO that you burn on CD-ROM (or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Matt Siegel, Oct 10, 2015.

1. spapakons Win User

done w windows 10 until further notice

Another cool utility that allows booting from USB even on unsupported motherboards is Plop Boot Manager. It is an ISO that you burn on CD-ROM (or DVD-ROM if you modify the compilation properties in Nero) and use it to boot the computer. It will then present a custom boot menu allowing you to boot from any device connected to your system including a USB DVD-ROM or USB hard disk and flash drive. This way I can boot old PCs with only CD-ROM boot support and install Windows without having to burn a disk first.

spapakons, Oct 12, 2015
  2. snoopy51 Win User

Matt:
    I read this thread twice before I decided to post!
    Sound like you have a hardware problem with PSU. Unfortunately PSU supplies power to your motherboard, USB, hard drive, etc.
    Consequently, you encountered more problems later.

Please replace your PSU, hook a tester and run stress tests such as CPU, Memtest, hard drive, graphic adapter, and others to ensure it is functional first.

Upon successful tests without Windows 7 or Windows 10, you have to rebuilt your Windows 7 environment unless you have a full system image backup.

Make sure you have Windows 7 fully working without issue and install the latest update before you upgrade Windows 10.

I have done over 40+ Windows 10 upgrade. I encountered only two problems and it was resolved within a day or two!

It is a long process but Rome is not build in one day!

Good luck!

snoopy51, Oct 12, 2015
  3. Same here just done one via skype for someone in Norway who forgot to put new drivers install had no sound, now happy as she has sound, also same make of laptop and model as mine, so easy to tell her what to do.

hTconeM9user, Oct 12, 2015
  4. done w windows 10 until further notice

well as i said before that is well sorta old news!. mainly because i already knew i had a issue with the psu when it popped and died the second time because it made that burning electrical smell as well. and yea i suppose when it popped it could have done something to the hard drive. I'm just thankful if that is the case that it didn't do any damage to anything else on the system like my ram, or even the heart of the system the mb.

Matt Siegel, Oct 12, 2015
  5. spapakons Win User
    Why you don't dual boot with Windows 10? You could test it, and once comfortable you delete the Windows 10 partition and upgrade your older Windows again. Alternatively you could install it in a virtual machine to experiment with.

spapakons, Oct 12, 2015
  6. well i was thinking about just that this morning. I was thinking once i get the new drive(which was suppose to get here today but thanks to the idiots at ups it didn't and won't get here until tomorrow because someone at ups dropped the ball big time and ups is gonna hear it from me tomorrow as it was shipped out monday via next day air which is suppose to mean next day but not in this case) well anyway once i get it tomorrow i will create a second volume on the drive on which to install 10. as for virtual machine well i would rather not go to any drastic lengths doing anything abnormal so to speak. I've been to h--- dealing with this crap and this doesn't include the other things going on that have caused problems.

Matt Siegel, Oct 13, 2015
  7. i also talked to the tech support at antec which is the mfr of my psu and they did some digging and some research and found that apparently for some reason the asus motherboards don't like antec psu's. the agent i dealt with emailed me a link to a article about just this the fact. that and also the fact that it apparently could be more of a windows 10 issue in terms of 10 not liking and not wanting to cooperate with asus boards. i am also going to contact asus about this issue tomorrow and see what they can make of it.

8. done w windows 10 until further notice

well i contacted asus last evening and they told me that more than likely it is a psu issue and that if i had it replaced and i still have the issue something could be up with my mb and that i would have to send it to them to have it rma'd.

9. Tony K Win User
    Making headway I see. That’s good. If I may inject and as some have stated or hinted > It had everything to with the PSU and perhaps damaging the MoBo and/or other peripherals and not with 10 other than not investigating whether 10 was fit for your rig, of which I and most believe that’s not the case. This is not intended to pound salt in your wound whatsoever. I’m quite sure you’re frustrated and disheartened by this event as much as we don’t like seeing sort of thing either.

We all make mistakes otherwise we wouldn’t be human. In fact, I’m glad you posted your problem here, for I learned and am reminded of a few things. I too heard my PSU pop and continued on instead of seeking help straightway. I was lucky not to do more damage continuing on. Simply changing out my PSU resolved the problem. Hopefully you have no more problems either.

Any which way, good luck to you, Matt. *Smile

Tony K, Oct 13, 2015
  10. upcoast Win User
    Dual booting opens up another can of worms if things aren't right as it did with mine, anytime I switched boot drive win 10 would say there were errors and the drives needed to be scanned but this is with a board that has definite compatibility issues with win 10 old amd 790x ddr2 mobo it works but has gpu/sound support problems. I'm very close to dumping win 10 from this tower after 7 clean installs 2 video cards if I can't get a new mobo I'll have to concede and just put win 7 back on.

Ps, I believe your mobo chipset should be compatible though if you do rma the mobo.

upcoast, Oct 13, 2015
  11. essenbe Win User
    Your issue with checkdisk was caused by Fast Startup in Windows 10. If you disable fast startup, you will not have that issue. It did the same with me. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html

[youtube]hmDmaKLbi4Y[/youtube]

essenbe, Oct 13, 2015
  12. Word Man Win User
    It's amazing the number and variety of problems Fast Startup has caused. With benefit of others' experiences posted here at TF much earlier, I decided to just cut it off at the knees as soon as possible after the 6 upgrades/installs I've sat through.

Word Man, Oct 13, 2015
  13. essenbe Win User

It seems to help it be a little faster on bootup. But if you have another OS installed, it messes things up.

essenbe, Oct 13, 2015
  14. how do u figure that my issues have been caused by fast startup being enabled? that wasn't really part of the equation i don't believe.

Matt Siegel, Oct 14, 2015
  15. essenbe Win User
    Please read the post above mine. I wasn't addressing you.

essenbe, Oct 14, 2015
Thema:

1. done w windows 10 until further notice - Similar Threads - done until further

2. Wired Network stops working until Troubleshoot by Windows is done.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wired Network stops working until Troubleshoot by Windows is done.: I am having an issue and cant seem to find anyone else with this problem. Currently running Windows 11 on 2 PCs and Windows 10 on a 3rd. My set up is ISP provided Modem - ISP provided Eero - Network Switch GS605 - 3 PCs. Randomly at a point in the day my wired internet...
  3. Wired Network stops working until Troubleshoot by Windows is done.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wired Network stops working until Troubleshoot by Windows is done.: I am having an issue and cant seem to find anyone else with this problem. Currently running Windows 11 on 2 PCs and Windows 10 on a 3rd. My set up is ISP provided Modem - ISP provided Eero - Network Switch GS605 - 3 PCs. Randomly at a point in the day my wired internet...
  4. Windows 10 Black Screen + Recovery Mode after Clean Reinstall W/O further actions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Black Screen + Recovery Mode after Clean Reinstall W/O further actions: Greetings,Recently I moved apartments and after booting up my PC with Windows 10 I noticed that after I would get the typical Windows start-up screen the monitor would go into Power Save mode. I have had this issue once before and I was able to overcome it because I think...
  5. Windows 10 Black Screen + Recovery Mode after Clean Reinstall W/O further actions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Black Screen + Recovery Mode after Clean Reinstall W/O further actions: Greetings,Recently I moved apartments and after booting up my PC with Windows 10 I noticed that after I would get the typical Windows start-up screen the monitor would go into Power Save mode. I have had this issue once before and I was able to overcome it because I think...
  6. Windows 10 Black Screen + Recovery Mode after Clean Reinstall W/O further actions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Microsoft takes down PC Health Check Tool until further notice

in Windows 10 Support
    Microsoft takes down PC Health Check Tool until further notice: Microsoft takes down PC Health Check Tool until further notice 181919
  8. windows 10 expiry notice

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    windows 10 expiry notice: Hi, My client is running windows 10 pro, but one of the pc last week suddenly display dialog windows about to expire at random time. I just check control panel->system, it say windows is activated. Is there a reason why all the sudden this one pc displaying windows...
  9. Windows 10 Restarts with no notice

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Restarts with no notice: This week my laptop with Windows 10 has restarted without any notice. It has happened at least one time each day for the last 4 days. I will be at my computer and all of a sudden it restarts and I see a black screen with the Dell logo. Is there something I can do to stop my...
  10. Windows 10 Anniversary Update rollout may not be done until November

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Anniversary Update rollout may not be done until November: Microsoft is notifying Windows 10 users that the Anniversary Update may take three months to roll out. If you still haven't gotten the Windows 10 Anniversary Update pushed to your device yet, there may be some valid reasons why. Microsoft began rolling out the latest...