Windows 10: done w windows 10 until further notice

Discus and support done w windows 10 until further notice in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Please read the post above mine. I wasn't addressing you. oh ok my bad then *Cool Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Matt Siegel, Oct 10, 2015.

1. done w windows 10 until further notice

oh ok my bad then *Cool

Matt Siegel, Oct 14, 2015

2. I have 3 options in my Gigabyte board: normal, fast, and ultra startup. I installed using ultra and Windows 8 secure bootup. I read that the secure bootup was not compatible with 10, but it was working till one day my computer freaked out and wouldn't boot to BIOS (scared me to death). It did a backup BIOS (UEFI) restore and auto-changed those settings to normal and other OS-NO secure boot.

I then changed from normal startup to fast startup (originally had ultra set), kept the secure boot off, and haven't had problems yet (fingers crossed).

In summary, I am not sure if it was the ultra fast startup or the secure boot that caused my computer to have problems, but it was one of them. Hopefully the fast startup holds out because the normal method takes forever. I noticed that after a few times of putting my computer into sleep mode is when the problem started.

Sorry for the off topic, but it might help someone *Wink

DustSailor, Oct 14, 2015
  3. essenbe Win User
    DustSailor, if you had problems of running check Disk when you booted into another OS on the same machine, it was not in BIOS. It is a setting in Windows 10.

essenbe, Oct 14, 2015
  4. done w windows 10 until further notice

Sorry, no, I didn't mean that. I didn't run check disk (my SSD is A-Ok), and I only have a single OS installed. I was only referring to the fast startup issues, and making note that my Motherboard also had an ultra fast startup option.

And also mentioning secure boot. Which now I'm confused if it works with 10 or not. Or if you can simply enable it in the BIOS or if that is not how it works.

DustSailor, Oct 14, 2015
  5. essenbe Win User
    If you have a UEFI Install, you can enable it. If you have a Legacy install, it is probably not a good idea. It depends on the settings in the CSM module (Compatibility Support Module). Your Boot option for the hard drive has to be set to Windows Boot Manager not just the hard drive.

essenbe, Oct 14, 2015
  6. It is, I noticed that. So I'm going to try to enable it again, and hope that the issues stemmed from fast startup only. Though it is strange that it wouldn't boot to UEFI (BIOS). Trial and error. What's the worst that can happen? *Biggrin

DustSailor, Oct 14, 2015
  7. Word Man Win User
    Slloooooowwww startup*Wink?

Word Man, Oct 14, 2015
  8. f14tomcat Win User

done w windows 10 until further notice

Just my IMO... seeing slow startup up also. MS is playing with memory compression. If you have a decent amount of mem and cpu, etc. why waste the time squeezing the bits and bytes? It should sense what you have and only do that when resources are low.

f14tomcat, Oct 14, 2015
  9. essenbe Win User
    Asus Motherboards seem to always have a slow POST, no matter how you set it. Other boards, I don't know about. I really don't know about memory compression. I have enough and fast enough ram that it shouldn't be a concern. Maybe it is. If you time the start up from the time you see the 'Starting Windows' I think you will get the true start up speed. The rest is Bios POST/UEFI post or whatever it's called now.

essenbe, Oct 14, 2015
  10. Word Man Win User
    Just in case - I wasn't advocating use of Fast Startup by any means - it was just a gentle tease to DustSailor.

My limited first hand reference cases are on my newish Dell Laptop, which I upgraded to an SSD before taking the Win10 upgrade, and my wife's laptop, a 3 year old Acer which appears to only run up to SATA 2.

I never experienced what I would judge as slow startup on my laptop but I didn't particularly like the hybrid sleep/Fast Startup behaviors and just disabled it early on. I don't feel like I'm missing anything having it off.

My wife's chief laptop complaint was "it's so slow" (WIn 7 Premium Home). I applied a Win 8 Pro upgrade to it that came with the laptop, updated to Win 8.1, and used GWX to upgrade to Win 10 Pro - still slow whether Fast Startup was off or on, opted to shut Fast Startup off for that one too. What did do the trick (not sure I can separate them) was upgrading her RAM from 4 to 8 GB, replacing the 500 GB 5400 rpm HDD with a Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, and then running a clean install, all over a weekend. Now it's MUCH faster in both startup and the things that matter to her. Yes, the SSD is limited (on benchmarks, but does that really matter?) by SATA 2 channel versus SATA 3 but tons faster than the old HDD. No incentive to re-enable Fast Startup on that I've seen yet.

Word Man, Oct 14, 2015
  11. well i still think that I'm better off just keeping only 7 on my system now until further notice due to all the issues I've encountered so far. but if i decide to put 10 on it as well would i be better off creating a totally separate volume or just creating a separate partition on the replacement hard drive i just received?

12. If you're having driver issues, I agree with you, keep the old one (you're really not missing out on much). You've upgraded and activated, so you should have a valid license to upgrade in the future whenever you need. <- I don't know how long this lasts or if it has an expiration, would be curious to find out for sure. But you have at LEAST till the free upgrade offer is taken down.

DustSailor, Oct 14, 2015
  13. badrobot Win User

Did you get your problem sorted out? Did you do an upgrade or clean install? If you haven't tried it yet maybe a clean install will treat you nice. (If you already tried the clean install sorry. I haven't gone through the entire thread *Wink ).

badrobot, Oct 14, 2015
  14. i don't think it was so much driver issues as possibly psu issues which is why I'm sending the current psu back to antec so it can get replaced a second time even though this one is technically brand new and if once i get my second replacement the issues still exist then sadly I'm gonna have to have asus rma my board or at least I'm sure gonna try and get them to do it for me because i just do not have the funds to shell out for a new system board right now.

15. sadly; i had to get a replacement drive sent to me under warranty due to the fact that the previous one is shot due to what could be a psu issue because i also had a issue where i encountered a bad startup file which i believe was attributed to the new psu not wanting to shutdown my system completely. so with that said I'm sending the new psu back to replaced a second time and if the issue still exists i sadly will have to have my mb rma'd through asus. and yes with this new drive i obviously had to do a clean install because my files sadly are stuck on my partially bad western digital my book backup drive.

Matt Siegel, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. done w windows 10 until further notice - Similar Threads - done until further

2. Wired Network stops working until Troubleshoot by Windows is done.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wired Network stops working until Troubleshoot by Windows is done.: I am having an issue and cant seem to find anyone else with this problem. Currently running Windows 11 on 2 PCs and Windows 10 on a 3rd. My set up is ISP provided Modem - ISP provided Eero - Network Switch GS605 - 3 PCs. Randomly at a point in the day my wired internet...
  3. Wired Network stops working until Troubleshoot by Windows is done.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wired Network stops working until Troubleshoot by Windows is done.: I am having an issue and cant seem to find anyone else with this problem. Currently running Windows 11 on 2 PCs and Windows 10 on a 3rd. My set up is ISP provided Modem - ISP provided Eero - Network Switch GS605 - 3 PCs. Randomly at a point in the day my wired internet...
  4. Windows 10 Black Screen + Recovery Mode after Clean Reinstall W/O further actions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Black Screen + Recovery Mode after Clean Reinstall W/O further actions: Greetings,Recently I moved apartments and after booting up my PC with Windows 10 I noticed that after I would get the typical Windows start-up screen the monitor would go into Power Save mode. I have had this issue once before and I was able to overcome it because I think...
  5. Windows 10 Black Screen + Recovery Mode after Clean Reinstall W/O further actions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Black Screen + Recovery Mode after Clean Reinstall W/O further actions: Greetings,Recently I moved apartments and after booting up my PC with Windows 10 I noticed that after I would get the typical Windows start-up screen the monitor would go into Power Save mode. I have had this issue once before and I was able to overcome it because I think...
  6. Windows 10 Black Screen + Recovery Mode after Clean Reinstall W/O further actions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Microsoft takes down PC Health Check Tool until further notice

in Windows 10 Support
    Microsoft takes down PC Health Check Tool until further notice: Microsoft takes down PC Health Check Tool until further notice 181919
  8. windows 10 expiry notice

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    windows 10 expiry notice: Hi, My client is running windows 10 pro, but one of the pc last week suddenly display dialog windows about to expire at random time. I just check control panel->system, it say windows is activated. Is there a reason why all the sudden this one pc displaying windows...
  9. Windows 10 Restarts with no notice

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Restarts with no notice: This week my laptop with Windows 10 has restarted without any notice. It has happened at least one time each day for the last 4 days. I will be at my computer and all of a sudden it restarts and I see a black screen with the Dell logo. Is there something I can do to stop my...
  10. Windows 10 Anniversary Update rollout may not be done until November

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Anniversary Update rollout may not be done until November: Microsoft is notifying Windows 10 users that the Anniversary Update may take three months to roll out. If you still haven't gotten the Windows 10 Anniversary Update pushed to your device yet, there may be some valid reasons why. Microsoft began rolling out the latest...