Windows 10: Don't open picture with MS Paint

Discus and support Don't open picture with MS Paint in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; OK, uninstalled and reinstalled IV (newer version). This time .jpg opened with Photos app. Apparently Windows thinks .jpg is a photo. Changed photo... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by tcebob, Apr 5, 2018.

1. tcebob Win User

Don't open picture with MS Paint

OK, uninstalled and reinstalled IV (newer version). This time .jpg opened with Photos app. Apparently Windows thinks .jpg is a photo. Changed photo default to IV. Works fine.

Thanks for your response. I'll mark this as Solved.

tcebob, Apr 5, 2018
  2. tcebob Win User

I have image default set to IrfanView. Yet, when I dbl click on one (.jpg) on the desktop or in File Explorer, it opens in Paint. They open correctly in Total Commander.

While writing this it occurred to me that I recently installed Snagit. Could that have hijacked my default?

:)

tcebob, Apr 16, 2018
  3. Techgig Win User
    duplicating pictures

You can use MS paint for duplicating pictures. Just open picture using paint copy and paste it on same canvas

Techgig, Apr 16, 2018
  4. wlpatte Win User

Pictures opening in MS Paint in Windows 10

How do I get my pictures to open in the picture folder but not in MS Paint

wlpatte, Apr 16, 2018
  5. Make sure the .JPG protocol is correctly set to open with the application you desire. Click on the Start and type Default to select Default App Settings. Scroll down to adjust a default app based on file type.

Masterchiefxx17, Apr 17, 2018
  6. tcebob Win User
    I had checked both the program default and the .jpg protocol. I removed Snagit as best I could, using their complete removal option within Revo Uninstaller. Rebooted and the problem persists. When I hover the mouse over a desktop image icon a popup informs me that it is an IrfanView JPG file but it still opens with Paint.

. . . also removed Ashampoo Photo Commander, which I had as a trial. No change. I will uninstall and reinstall IrfanView and see whether that helps.

tcebob, Apr 17, 2018
Thema:

1. Don't open picture with MS Paint - Similar Threads - Don't open picture

2. Unable to open Notepad or MS Paint

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to open Notepad or MS Paint: I have a desktop PC with Windows 10. I use both Notepad and MS Paint frequently and they both recently stopped opening. Clicking the taskbar shortcuts to open them doesn't cause them to open; the mouse switches to the "loading" throbber, but reverts back after about a second...
  3. Unable to open Notepad or MS Paint

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to open Notepad or MS Paint: I have a desktop PC with Windows 10. I use both Notepad and MS Paint frequently and they both recently stopped opening. Clicking the taskbar shortcuts to open them doesn't cause them to open; the mouse switches to the "loading" throbber, but reverts back after about a second...
  4. Opening MS Paint using Run function it does not open MS Paint

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Opening MS Paint using Run function it does not open MS Paint: Hi so for i while now I am suffering from this problem when I try to open MS Paint with the Run function it does not open,there is nothing like the program not found this is the log in the event viewer:Faulting application name: mspaint.exe, version: 11.2110.0.0, time stamp:...
  5. Opening MS Paint using Run function it does not open MS Paint

Opening MS Paint using Run function it does not open MS Paint: Hi so for i while now I am suffering from this problem when I try to open MS Paint with the Run function it does not open,there is nothing like the program not found this is the log in the event viewer:Faulting application name: mspaint.exe, version: 11.2110.0.0, time stamp:...
  6. MS Paint not opening

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    MS Paint not opening: Hello all,I'm using Windows 10 but MS Paint won't open when clicked in the taskbar, double-clicked from desktop, exec command, Windows search bar, etc. I tried opening the shortcut file as Administrator but nothing happened. There weren't any error messages appearing and...
  7. MS Paint not opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MS Paint not opening: Hello all,I'm using Windows 10 but MS Paint won't open when clicked in the taskbar, double-clicked from desktop, exec command, Windows search bar, etc. I tried opening the shortcut file as Administrator but nothing happened. There weren't any error messages appearing and...
  8. MS Paint not opening

9. MS Paint won't open?!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    MS Paint won't open?!: A day or two ago I discovered that MS Paint (not Paint 3D) will no longer open. I've tried double-clicking on images, on the shortcut in the Taskbar, on the icon under WINDOWS > system32 -- you name it. I've tried editing the registry as per the page below, and looking under...
  10. Paint : Remove "open paint 3d" within MS Paint

Paint : Remove "open paint 3d" within MS Paint: Hi, I have completely removed Paint 3D In MS Paint their is a option at the top that says "Open Paint 3D" how can i remove that? [img] 111166