Windows 10: Don't overlook the obvious when troubleshooting: PCI Express Card

Discus and support Don't overlook the obvious when troubleshooting: PCI Express Card in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I've got two Lenovo laptops: an X220 Tablet and a T420. Both are the same age, and both include PCI Express slots for adapters. Because the units are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by EdTittel, Dec 23, 2016.

1. EdTittel Win User

Don't overlook the obvious when troubleshooting: PCI Express Card

I've got two Lenovo laptops: an X220 Tablet and a T420. Both are the same age, and both include PCI Express slots for adapters. Because the units are old enough to lack USB 3.0, I added a 34mm Startech USB 3.0 adapter to my widgets collection 3-4 years ago. Just recently, the adapter quit working in my X220T though it has kept on working just fine in the T420. It wasn't until I checked the BIOS earlier today and found out that somehow PCI Express had been disabled there -- that I was able to get it working again on the X220T. I'd been messing around with drivers for two weeks, trying various strategies to fix the apparently non-functional drivers. But you can't use a device in an OS unless the BIOS permits you to access it. Indeed it was the most obvious cause, but it took me way too long to chase that one down. I swear I hadn't made any BIOS level changes since upgrading the BIOS last March, but the evidence says something changed it. Sigh, readers: please learn from my mistake. Whenever a device disappears completely from a PC, ALWAYS check for related BIOS settings, and make sure they're enabled.
    Happy holidays!
    --Ed--

Don't overlook the obvious when troubleshooting: PCI Express Card [​IMG]

And here they are, back again and working after being re-enabled in the BIOS.

:)

EdTittel, Dec 23, 2016
  2. MikeS_878 Win User

Windows 10 & LPT Parallel Printer Port.

You're welcome! My parallel port is a PCI card with an LPT port. When I originally purchased it I was running Windows 7.

The card is a Parallel PCI Express Card, One Port, x1 Lane manufactured by Manhattan, Model Number 158176. It was $29.99 when I purchased it.

• Adds One Parallel Port to a Desktop Computer
    • Supports SPP, EPP and ECP Ports
    • Fits PCI Express x1, x2, x4, x8 and x16 Lane Buses
    • Fits Regular and Low-Profile slots
    • Plug and Play Installation
    • Windows 7 Compatible
    I hope this helps.

MikeS_878, Dec 23, 2016
  3. Installation of Windows 10

When installing windows 10 I get a failure to create RAMDISK error on reboot.

The ASUS motherboard has an unsupported NVIDIA chip, but I am using a supported NVIDIA PCI-Express card.

Is there a way to install windows 10 as the Bios doesn't remove the unsupported Chip only selects to use the PCI-Express?

RichardBauerAFG, Dec 23, 2016
  4. TV2
    TV2 Win User

Thanks for sharing that Ed. No matter how long we have been playing with these things there is always something new to learn - or re-learn! That's what makes it so fun.

While I do not pine for the good-ol-days of fixed BIOS installations (on real CMOS chips!) I think we need to get used to the fact that the new UEFI BIOS is highly configurable, and with that convenience comes the unfortunate possibility that settings can change inadvertently, from normal boot errata to OS updates and driver installations or anything else that can easily access the UEFI.

Now excuse me while I go and take a peek into my BIOS (which I probably haven't done in many months!)

Thema:

1. Don't overlook the obvious when troubleshooting: PCI Express Card - Similar Threads - Don't overlook obvious

2. PCI Express Root Complex

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PCI Express Root Complex: After I downloaded the "PCI Express Root Complex" update, my computer really got screwed up. Is it really necessary to update this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pci-express-root-complex/ae358f62-c96c-4f7f-afc2-6d604fb5aa78
  3. PCI express on windows

PCI express on windows: I have tested 15 different PCI-Express display cards on a i3 Gigabyte/intel motherboard with windows 7/8/10 . Windows 7 is the last windows that was capable to handle two or more displays. from windows 8 upwards windows are unable to handle pci-express displays no matter if...
  4. PCI Express Root Port

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PCI Express Root Port: Hi, I built my windows desktop a few months ago and have never been able to get it to sleep or hibernate. I ran the powercfg -lastwake command and received this back: C:\Windows\system32>powercfg -lastwake Wake History Count - 1 Wake History [0] Wake Source Count...
  5. PCI-Express To SATA III 6Gbps Cards

PCI-Express To SATA III 6Gbps Cards: I have tried using two different models of these cards, and both were hopeless. Red screens of death were common, even before getting into Windows. They both used a Marvell chipset. Maybe that was the problem. Even booting with with rescue media produced RSODs. Has anyone...
  6. PCI Express card stops working

PCI Express card stops working: I have a desktop Dell XPS 8300 running Window 10 pro. Since a couple of years it has been equiped with a 2+1port SATA III + IDE-PCI Express card. The combination worked perfectly untill a few weeks ago, the computer gets blue screens and restarted. Now I can no longer see...
  7. 4 k graphic card for pci slot--not express

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    4 k graphic card for pci slot--not express: Hello I have a Hewlett-Packard HP Compaq Pro 4300 SFF PC Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) 8 gig DDR3 SDRAM 799MHz Intel Core i3-3220. 240 watts PS. i'm using my pci express slot for my SSD. i'm looking for a 4K graphics card, low profile, cheap of course. if you need more...
  8. 4 k graphic card for pci slot--not express

in Windows 10 Support
    4 k graphic card for pci slot--not express: Hello I have a Hewlett-Packard HP Compaq Pro 4300 SFF PC Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) 8 gig DDR3 SDRAM 799MHz Intel Core i3-3220. 240 watts PS. i'm using my pci express slot for my SSD. i'm looking for a 4K graphics card, low profile, cheap of course. if you need more...
  9. drivers for old graphics card radeon HD3650 pci express

drivers for old graphics card radeon HD3650 pci express: I got the drivers from windows update automatically but it still says that some components are not installed in properties the graphics card is working fine with HYDRAVISION in Windows 7 but i cant install catalyst control center and hydravision in windows 10 it works...
  10. PCI Express Root Complex Troubleshooting.

PCI Express Root Complex Troubleshooting.: After getting a couple of blue screen, and looking at it Online I ended up having a bad driver. I'm on a new built computer so I have no idea how to install the new driver for the title above I tried updating via device manager but it says it's up to date and I don't what...