Windows 10: Dont run thumbdrive on boot up or sleep?

Discus and support Dont run thumbdrive on boot up or sleep? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, Currently, I am manually ejecting the usb each time I start the pc or wake from sleep to save battery. I felt its also hurtful to auto run the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by techi, Jun 8, 2016.

1. techi Win User

Dont run thumbdrive on boot up or sleep?

Hi,

Currently, I am manually ejecting the usb each time I start the pc or wake from sleep to save battery. I felt its also hurtful to auto run the usb after each wake from sleep.

I am intending to leave my usb plug in my pc, however I do not wish my pc to run/read it upon first boot or wake from sleep/hibernate. When I wish the use the usb, then I would manually run/read the usb.

How is the best solution for this?

:)

techi, Jun 8, 2016

2. Windows 10 got long stuck on terminal screen boot before logo

My PC got strange long boot on internal windows 10 pro 64 bit

when I try to boot on thumbdrive (windows 10 installer) using UEFI Boot it has no problem

but when I try to boot my thumbdrive on Legacy boot it shows the same symptom like my windows 10 long terminal blank screen boot

ラウレンシウス ケヴィンセチアヂ, Jun 8, 2016
  3. Bootloader for Thumbdrive ?

Hi, I want to put multiple boot discs for multiple computers on one thumb drive. I assume I need to create a multiple bootloader on the thumbdrive so I can select which boot loader I want for each computer when the computer boots into the thumbdrive, correct
    ?

StraightWorld, Jun 8, 2016
  4. Dont run thumbdrive on boot up or sleep?

Assuming the USB drive doesn't interfere with the boot process, there isn't any harm in just leaving it plugged in.

DeaconFrost, Jun 8, 2016
  5. techi Win User
    Hi, how to make sure the usb drive doesn't interfere with the boot process?
    Leaving it plugged in, when I on the pc or wake from sleep each time, the thumbdrive is run/read where I can access it. I feel battery would also drain.

techi, Jun 9, 2016
  6. I'm not sure what you mean by drain the battery. It shouldn't have any effect.

The easiest way to see if it interferes with the boot is to try and boot up with the USB drive connected. If it boots, you are fine. If not, you need to change the BIOS boot settings to boot from the hard drive first.

DeaconFrost, Jun 9, 2016
  7. Kyhi Win User
    when the PC is awake - the USB is readable, yes that is normal..
    The USB has no battery drain - to even be concerned with.. it's Not like a spinning drive or anything

Kyhi, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Dont run thumbdrive on boot up or sleep?

1. Dont run thumbdrive on boot up or sleep? - Similar Threads - Dont run thumbdrive

2. Window dont boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Window dont boot: Yesterday,Window was working fine until window started to install updates2023 cumulative update for windows 10.so i restarted Window and showed window is installing update..but at 30% it stopped and restarted by itself..When window boot,it suddenly showed blue screen...
  3. Empty Folders on Thumbdrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Empty Folders on Thumbdrive: On a thumb drive, a folder shows “This folder is empty,” yet the properties show 182GB 215,233 files and counting. I have disconnected OneDrive because it was causing problems with folders and files....
  4. How do I open up a thumbdrive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I open up a thumbdrive?: I cannot open up my thumbdrive to make sure files are there https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-open-up-a-thumbdrive/4e4a071b-5300-42b9-9f83-19e0cebf9b40
  5. How do I open up a thumbdrive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I open up a thumbdrive?: I cannot open up my thumbdrive to make sure files are there https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-open-up-a-thumbdrive/4e4a071b-5300-42b9-9f83-19e0cebf9b40
  6. How do I open up a thumbdrive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Sleep mode booting up normally.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sleep mode booting up normally.: So I keep putting my computer on sleep mode and it keeps booting up normally. My tabs are gone all the windows I had open gone. It basically boots up normally as if I just shut it down....
  8. USD thumbdrive

in Windows 10 Customization
    USD thumbdrive: How do I show a connected USB drive on the desktop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usd-thumbdrive/b54c8a33-fb59-48b5-af63-1032122b64f4
  9. Sleep Mode Booting Up Incorrectly

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sleep Mode Booting Up Incorrectly: Something is wrong with my pc when I sleep it. I will walk you through what happens in order 1. I sleep my pc and it turns of correctly, my screen turns off and so does my pc. 2. I use my keyboard to wake it up from sleep and when I do my monitor gives me a screen with no...
  10. downloading to a thumbdrive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    downloading to a thumbdrive: I am trying to download an update for my Garmin onto a thumbdrive to transfer to my car. It begins the process but stops at 4.5%. Any thoughts on why I cannot complete the download?...