Windows 10: dontdisplaylastusername not retaining value

Discus and support dontdisplaylastusername not retaining value in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Good morning, all. I am on a corporate domain with my install of Win10 Pro. I find it a pain to login again once I lock the PC as I have to enter my... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by brianp, Aug 31, 2015.

1. brianp Win User

dontdisplaylastusername not retaining value

Good morning, all.

I am on a corporate domain with my install of Win10 Pro. I find it a pain to login again once I lock the PC as I have to enter my full credentials (username and password). In Windows 7 when you locked the PC it stayed with that user until you unlocked it (or switched users).

I know there is a registry entry named "dontdisplaylastusername" that, when enabled, will show you the other accounts on the PC (as well as the last account logged in and pre-fills the username field). However, sometime throughout the day Windows 10 disables this entry and it means I need to go back in and enable it again.

Is there a way for Win10 to retain this value? I do not often log off completely from this PC, so nine times out of 10 I just lock it. Is this a Win10 "feature" or bug? Is there another value I should change instead of this reg entry to retain the current user who is logged in?

Thanks.

:)

brianp, Aug 31, 2015

2. Win 10 Home logout displays message that another user is logged on - how do I prevent this?

You can create the value manually. Right click in right pane, select New > DWORD Value. Rename it as dontdisplaylastusername and set it to 1.

Kapil Arya MVP, Aug 31, 2015
  3. Kapil Arya MVP, Aug 31, 2015
Thema:

dontdisplaylastusername not retaining value

1. dontdisplaylastusername not retaining value - Similar Threads - dontdisplaylastusername retaining value

2. Windows Explorer Not Retaining Settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer Not Retaining Settings: I have Windows 11 and am using a Lenovo Idea Pad. I use this computer mainly for designing, using lightburn laser software. Because of this, I have a large amount of SVG files saved, and I set my view to extra large in file explorer. When I attempt to open a file in my...
  3. Windows 11 not retaining settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 not retaining settings: When I am installing Windows 11 on my computer, which is compatible with Windows 11, my computer is undoing changes made to the computer. Please help me solve this issue ** original title: Computer **...
  4. Windows 11 not retaining settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 not retaining settings: When I am installing Windows 11 on my computer, which is compatible with Windows 11, my computer is undoing changes made to the computer. Please help me solve this issue ** original title: Computer **...
  5. Retaining old emails

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Retaining old emails: HiI have a PC less than a year old with windows version 21H1 build 19043.1052 and using Mail. Currently my emails are removed after about a month. I need to keep them until I decide to delete them. How do I do this?RegardsStuart...
  6. MSI Afterburner not retaining settings

in Windows 10 Support
    MSI Afterburner not retaining settings: My MSI AB settings are not being retained either at Windows startup or if I quit AB. I have applied the settings, saved them to profile 1 and the Windows Startup icon is green. Is there some addiotnal step I need to do? W10 64 bit 2004 163765
  7. Bluetooth drivers not retained

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bluetooth drivers not retained: Due to a malfunction, the wireless module of my Dell XPS 15 had to be replaced. Since the replacement, I'm unable to use the bluetooth which is included on the same module (Intell AC9260). I've tried the drivers suggested by Windows as well as the manufacturer specific driver...
  8. Will my product key be retained?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Will my product key be retained?: Hello, I'm currently preparing to reinstall Windows 10 on my PC because I just wanted to reboot. Of course I have looked at YouTube tutorials and with all videos I am told that I can use Windows normally again which is also true with another PC of mine but is it still true...
  9. Retain window sizes

in Windows 10 Customization
    Retain window sizes: When enlarging a window, next time I open the window it is small again. This happens in several applications. Is there a general parameter for this or.... It doesn't seems to be associated with a specific apps, but rather a more general issue. I've never had a problem...
  10. Email folders not retaining data

in Browsers and Email
    Email folders not retaining data: I discovered that dozens of email messages I had moved to special folders for safekeeping have all been deleted. Is there a setting to prevent this, or a better retention method if not? 63799