Windows 10: DOS vs. Windows10 copy memory

Discus and support DOS vs. Windows10 copy memory in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I miss greatly a feature of a DOS 3rd party utility. The paste keyboard shortcut was intercepted and altered to cause a popup screen listing the most... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by markg2, Oct 12, 2016.

1. markg2 Win User

DOS vs. Windows10 copy memory

I miss greatly a feature of a DOS 3rd party utility. The paste keyboard shortcut was intercepted and altered to cause a popup screen listing the most recent copies to choose from or ignore. I don't suppose there's some buried command/setup for this ability?

Mark

:)

markg2, Oct 12, 2016

2. Which is better Nokia C5-03 or 500?

What are you talking about the same? There very different:

N500 vs C5-03

capacitive touchscreen vs resistive touch screen

2gb phone memory vs 40mb phone memory

256mb RAM vs 128mb RAM

Symbian ANNA vs Symbian s60

1Ghz processor vs 600Mhz processor

500 is way better.

chanchan05, Oct 12, 2016
  3. Rebuild N97 Campaign

N97 vs N8

434Mhz proc vs 680Mhz proc (there goes your 3 homescreens)

128mb RAM vs 256mb RAM

60mb C drive vs 135mb C drive

no GPU vs with GPU

no NAND memory vs 512mb NAND memory

That spec sheet can handle dual boot WinMo+Android, what more simply Symbian.

chanchan05, Oct 12, 2016
  4. DOS vs. Windows10 copy memory

That sounds familiar but the memory is vague. Can you describe it in more detail? It would not be a clipboard utility since Dos did not have a clipboard. Or am I misunderstanding it completely? Exactly what gets copied and what "versions" are displayed in the menu?

IOW, it is not clear what exactly is being "pasted" where.

MilesAhead, Oct 12, 2016
  5. markg2,

Trying to understand the question...not sure I do.

Are you looking for a 'paste' keyboard shortcut?

Ctrl + V or Shift + Insert – Pastes text at the cursor.
    Ctrl + C or Ctrl + Insert – Copies the selected text to the clipboard.

cottonball, Oct 13, 2016
  6. I get the impression it was a Dos hotkey program. Probably a TSR that popped up a menu. But it is vague. A program name might clarify.

MilesAhead, Oct 13, 2016
  7. markg2 Win User
    The question I posted was sort of vague, but give me a break here, we're talking ~35 years ago and I can't remember what the h*ll happened yesterday ;-)!

Seriously, I have no idea what the program was called but it definitely was a TSR. The salient point that sticks with me was the 'popup' screen that was a numeric list of n last pastes or inserts of data that the TSR retained in some sort of memory buffer that you could use the cursor arrow keys to move up/down and select sing the enter key.

I'm thinking that I had gotten those text segments into memory using the applicable select/copy/etc Wordstar keyboard shortcuts.

For current applicability, I'm looking for a similar app that would keep prior copy actions in memory (you set the memory allocation/# of copy items for example) and that list of copies could be 'recalled' to the screen in a numeric list that you would then click on whichever prior copy you now wished to paste into the current document.

Mark

markg2, Oct 13, 2016
  8. DOS vs. Windows10 copy memory

It sounds like what you want is a clipboard manager. There are many free ones that save all or some of the text you copy or paste. Some allow you to create rules to avoid saving stuff you do not want. Some also save graphics. I would check the freeware sites such as Snapfiles.com Softpedia.com etc..

Also reviews like this one may help you choose the clipboard tool with the features you want.

Edit: I know what you mean about remembering. The most famous utility TSR was Borland Sidekick. And I had to google "Borland TSR" because I could not remember the name. Then there was DesqView that allowed you to switch to another program without closing the current one. It seems like another galaxy far away now. *Smile

MilesAhead, Oct 13, 2016
  9. markg2 Win User
    Thanks for the heads up on clipboard managers.

Geez, this is like old home week. I was a huge fan of Sidekick (and Borland's Quattro).

As someone said, 'thanks for the memory'!

Mark

markg2, Oct 13, 2016
  10. Superfly Win User
    .. talking about Borland memories...

I started my development journey with Borland C++ back in the day... actually reading stuff, understanding then applying ... unlike now with the copy-paste MSDN stuff...

Hello world?! LOL.

... back to topic, clipboard memory is application dependant... but easy to implement...I think Clipboard clears with each copy so one has to set a memory stream to retain the copied data.

Superfly, Oct 13, 2016
  11. Yeah. Every month in PC Magazine there would be another TSR. I would type the code in and run it on my XT clone. Using theirs as a framework I wrote a couple of my own. Just to learn how to do it. No break-out switch. If I made a mistake and locked up the machine I had to cycle the power. *Smile

MilesAhead, Oct 13, 2016
  12. I bet like me you did some of the Herb Shildt books. Am I right?

MilesAhead, Oct 13, 2016
  13. Superfly Win User

Did a bit of 'Herbs' then...yeah. LOL.

Superfly, Oct 13, 2016
  14. *Roflmao2

MilesAhead, Oct 14, 2016
  15. markg2 Win User
    TSR's needed no 'help' to lockup a machine ;-)

markg2, Oct 14, 2016
Thema:

1. DOS vs. Windows10 copy memory - Similar Threads - DOS Windows10 copy

2. Memory Value vs Percentage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Memory Value vs Percentage: In Task Manager, it appears that I am using 1.5 gigabytes of RAM. My computer has 8 gigabytes of RAM, and I'm pretty sure 1.5 GB of RAM isn't 84% of 8 GB. Anybody know why this is or if some hidden programs are using a whole bunch of RAM? Thank you in advance!...
  3. Memory Value vs Percentage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Memory Value vs Percentage: In Task Manager, it appears that I am using 1.5 gigabytes of RAM. My computer has 8 gigabytes of RAM, and I'm pretty sure 1.5 GB of RAM isn't 84% of 8 GB. Anybody know why this is or if some hidden programs are using a whole bunch of RAM? Thank you in advance!...
  4. windows10 update high memory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows10 update high memory: , wuaueng . ?Even after all updates and troubleshooting, the wuaueng service continues to increase memory usage. Any solution? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows10-update-high-memory/753c604d-1b9b-47a4-9415-0ba919fb8862
  5. windows10 update high memory

windows10 update high memory: , wuaueng . ?Even after all updates and troubleshooting, the wuaueng service continues to increase memory usage. Any solution? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows10-update-high-memory/753c604d-1b9b-47a4-9415-0ba919fb8862
  6. NirCmd: Copy Path vs. Copy File Name

NirCmd: Copy Path vs. Copy File Name: Merging the following code in the Registry adds a "Copy File Path" context-menu in File Explorer and it works properly. Code: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\CopyFilePath] @="Copy File Path" [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\CopyFilePath\command]...
  7. Can you schedule a copy of files in DOS?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can you schedule a copy of files in DOS?: Hi. Is it possible, when in Windows10, to have Windows schedule a copy of files and folders in DOS? That is, schedule the PC to shut down, do copying of files and folders in DOS, then restart to Windows again. Thanks. Rich EDIT: I ask because I am in Windows10 doing a copy of...
  8. Should I buy a laptop with Windows10 or Free Dos?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Should I buy a laptop with Windows10 or Free Dos?: Hi! I am pretty clueless when it comes to technology:) I want to buy a laptop with Free Dos as operating system because I like its characteristics. It's a hp 15s-fq1036nq, Intel Core i7-1065G7, 512gb ssd. Could it not be compatible with Windows10? Should I buy one with...
  9. Shadow Copy Windows10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Shadow Copy Windows10: Hello, I update to 18860 Insider build, before that I was able to see my shadow copies in "Previous version" tab in every folder. But latest build loose my task schedules, can you help, what is right command to enable shadow copies again and show on "Previous version"?...
  10. Installed Memory vs Usable Memory

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Installed Memory vs Usable Memory: I am trying to work out why my installed memory and available memory are so far off in difference, 2.7 gig difference. Windows 10 Home Version The virtual memory shows the same difference, 2.23 gb Page file system is 1.25 gb Thank you C...