Windows 10: Double user folders after moving to location on other drive

Discus and support Double user folders after moving to location on other drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; On my wife's PC with Windows 10 home most of the location of the user folders such as Documents, Downloads, etc. had to be moved to folders on another... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sliding, Aug 3, 2018.

1. sliding Win User

Double user folders after moving to location on other drive

On my wife's PC with Windows 10 home most of the location of the user folders such as Documents, Downloads, etc. had to be moved to folders on another drive since the SSD C:\ drive filled up too much.

I used the option available in Windows by opening the folder properties windows and then from the "location" tab, the folders locations were changed from e.g. C:\users\her-name\downloads to D:\Her-Name-folder\downloads.
    Just the standaard procedure. Windows 10 is up to date to the latest version.

It happened some months ago, after her PC freezed for some reason and a hard reboot was the only option. It's a normal user account.

The strange thing is that one of the double folders that show up in Explorer contaains the data, while the other is empty. The problem is user specific.
    On another account (Admin) everything is normal.
    I can see all of her data in D:\Her-Name-folder\the-moved-folders....
    When I look into C:\users\her-name I see all standard user folders, but of course all are empty except for the hidden one ..\Appdata that has not been moved.

Now that I have to help her cleaning up her PC, I also want to solve this double folder problem.
    Is there a solution to solve it e.g. by changes in the register and if so, where to look

Thank in advance for any help,

Cesar

:)

sliding, Aug 3, 2018
  2. Nicrite Win User

Vista Ultimate - 'User' Folder Location

No tried that.

Can copy the entire folder to D; but Windows still points to C as the location. Can change personal folders location to a folder on D;, but this still leaves hidden files etc on C;. Thus meaning there are 2 Users folders. Have managed to change the Public folder location to D;, with some registry tweaks, but this doesnt seem to work for the entire folder.

any more suggestions

Nicrite, Aug 3, 2018
  3. Ageeb Win User
    User Folder - Move Location drive replacement

I used the tutorial to move my user folders to a spare, second drive in my laptop. Now I'm thinking about changing it from a spinner to an SSD and I'm wondering what steps I should be considering, before I make that swap, to preserve my user folders and migrate it to a second drive.

Could someone describe the process to replace that drive or point me to a guide? What's tripping me up is if I don't move it back to C: what will windows do when I remove the drive that contains the user folders, and put in the new one upon first boot.

Thanks for any direction everyone!

Ageeb, Aug 3, 2018
  4. Kari Win User

Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10  

If not the best way to do that but at least the way I recommend:

• "Empty" your user profile folders as much as you can, copying documents, pics, videos, music and all other personal data from all user profiles to external HDD. As following steps require you to relocate Users folder two times, the less data is left in user profile folders, the faster the relocation process. Important: Leave system folder AppData for each profile intact, do not empty / move its content!
    • Reverse the relocating, doing exactly as told in tutorial Method Two but this time relocating Users folder back to C: drive
    • Shut down the PC, replace the disk where you had Users relocated
    • Mount the new disk, boot to Windows, assign new disk the same drive ID letter than the old one had
    • Again, do as told in Method Two, now relocating Users to new disk
    • Restore the backed up personal user data from external drive to respective folders under each user profile

Kari, Aug 3, 2018
Thema:

1. Double user folders after moving to location on other drive - Similar Threads - Double user folders

2. There is no "Location" tab, after known folder is moved to other path by...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    There is no "Location" tab, after known folder is moved to other path by...: Hi, I used the API SHSetKnownFolderPathshell32.dll to move the known folder "Documents" from c:\Users\username to other drive, for example d:\.Before move: C:\Users\username\DocumentsAfter move: D:\DocumentsIn windows 10, after "Documents" is moved, I right click the...
  3. There is no "Location" tab, after known folder is moved to other path by...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    There is no "Location" tab, after known folder is moved to other path by...: Hi, I used the API SHSetKnownFolderPathshell32.dll to move the known folder "Documents" from c:\Users\username to other drive, for example d:\.Before move: C:\Users\username\DocumentsAfter move: D:\DocumentsIn windows 10, after "Documents" is moved, I right click the...
  4. Moving user folder to new Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving user folder to new Drive: Hi I have just bought a new PC that has 2 drives never had this before. The C Drive is the SSD which is small and then it has a D Drive which is 2 TB. I wanted to move my User folders to the D drive . I thought I had done it but it hasnt worked properly. On the C drive my...
  5. Duplicated User Folder located in User Documents Folder is doubling the Size of My C Drive...

Duplicated User Folder located in User Documents Folder is doubling the Size of My C Drive...: Duplicated User Folder located in User Documents Folder is doubling the Size of My C Drive since upgrading to Win 10 . How cab be this solved as Im running out of space every week for almost 2 years....
  6. Finding and Moving multiple folders from one location to other location in the drive

Finding and Moving multiple folders from one location to other location in the drive: I have 1000s of sub-folders in a main folder, from which I have to select some 100s of sub-folders not in sequence- random copy and paste them to another location in my system. I am using windows 2010. Presently, I am selecting individual sub-folders manually and creating...
  7. How to move User Folder and Restrict Access to other Drives/Partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to move User Folder and Restrict Access to other Drives/Partition: Hi, everyone. I just recently joined this forum with the intent of getting help in setting up a new computer. I've done a fair share of research in this (and other) forum, but the variety of solutions I found left me confused more than ever. I hope someone can point me in...
  8. User Folder - Move Location drive replacement

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    User Folder - Move Location drive replacement: I used the tutorial to move my user folders to a spare, second drive in my laptop. Now I'm thinking about changing it from a spinner to an SSD and I'm wondering what steps I should be considering, before I make that swap, to preserve my user folders and migrate it to a second...
  9. Double Users Folders after 10061

in Windows 10 Support
    Double Users Folders after 10061: Very odd. These look like bogus junction points (symbolic links) in my user directory. Got this after 10049 to 10061 update. Reverted back to 10049 and tried again, same. Clean install 10061 from ISO, same. Did not have this before on any builds. Have included a screenshot...
  10. Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10: How to: Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10 How to Move Users Folder to another Location in Windows 10 [img] Information The method described in this tutorial allows relocating Windows 10 main profile folder Users including all present and future user profiles...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 1903 mount c:\users second disk