Windows 10: Downgrade a new HP laptop from windows 10 to Windows 8 - Possible?

Discus and support Downgrade a new HP laptop from windows 10 to Windows 8 - Possible? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Good morning, I was not sure where to post this thread, so if I've broken any rules, please forgive. We purchased an HP laptop about a month ago and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BuffyKItty, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Downgrade a new HP laptop from windows 10 to Windows 8 - Possible?

Good morning,
    I was not sure where to post this thread, so if I've broken any rules, please forgive.
    We purchased an HP laptop about a month ago and it came preinstalled with Windows 10 - not the Pro version, I guess it is Home version.
    We HATE Windows 10!
    We tried but between hubby and I, we have a list of things that either don't like or don't work on new laptop.
    Is it possible to downgrade to Windows 8?
    I do have Windows 8.1 or 8 OS and key that has never been installed on a computer to use.
    Heck, I even have a Vista ultimate and key that I would rather use over Windows 10.
    Anyhow, yesterday I did a factory reinstall on the new laptop to set it back to factory settings. Have done nothing else to it this time around, no internet connections, updates, nothing.
    I did put the Windows 8 install in and it brings me to a screen where you have 2 options, regular and then the advanced.
    I was told that you had to use advanced install method but the screen wants to know where to install Windows and I think there were 4 different partitions.. 2 of them being reserved by either Windows or OEM, so I am pretty sure that I understand them to be the recovery partitions?
    Before I reset it, I ran the Belarc report and believe that does included product keys for windows and what type of hardware is on the laptop and have also created the recovery discs for Windows 10.
    Now comes the part where this amateur becomes afraid.
    I know I need to research drivers.
    I know the new install won't have a lot of the HP preloaded stuff BUT that is good, right? Less bloatware, I believe it is called.
    IF it works the laptop will only have the software and stuff that we want.
    Can anyone tell me in really simple terms what my next steps should be and how to proceed.
    If it doesn't work, I will be able to go back to Windows 10 with the recovery discs that I made, correct?
    Kind of afraid to do this but at this point it is really sad to think that a new laptop is setting there on the coffee table and neither one of us wants to use it. I gave up trying to install software that we did want on it, both of us hated Edge and discovered that we couldn't even sign in to our bank account with it and so on.
    I've never met an operating system that I disliked this much and have been using computers for work and home since 1986.
    Please help, if someone can? It would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks in advance!!

:)

BuffyKItty, Aug 27, 2016
  2. jimbra Win User

Can we downgrade a new HP Windows 10 Laptop to Windows 7/8 or should we return it to the store and buy a Mac PC?

We are very unhappy with the Windows 10 operating system that is bundled with our HP Pavilion laptop we purchased yesterday. Especially with Windows Edge and being forced to keep Edge as part of our operating system. Is there a way to downgrade the operating
    system to Windows 7 or 8 or should we return this laptop to the store and buy a Mac and just be done with Microsoft?

jimbra, Aug 27, 2016
  3. Can we downgrade a new HP Windows 10 Laptop to Windows 7/8 or should we return it to the store and buy a Mac PC?

If your computer came with win 10 installed you must first check to see if there are drivers for a previous OS> If there are not you cannot downgrade. If you want to spend an extra $1000 for a mac fee free. They have problems too.

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Aug 27, 2016
  4. Downgrade a new HP laptop from windows 10 to Windows 8 - Possible?

What's going to matter most is if there are drivers available for Windows 8x that are suited to your notebook PC. What model is your HP notebook?

I admit I'm also one of those who would prefer enduring stomach flu over coming within ten feet of Windows 10. HOWEVER, it's only from a features and cosmetics perspective that I dislike the OS. Truth is, Windows 10 is exceedingly stable. So I'm surprised that you had as much issues with it as you did; especially given that Windows 10 was preloaded.

Remember you will need to purchase an 8 or 8.1 license before installing the media, because you need to enter a key and you must activate Windows.

Jody Thornton, Aug 27, 2016
  5. cereberus Win User
    First - I would try and just clean install windows 10 - all the bloat will be gone and it will work fine.

Edge is irrelevant - you do not have to use it.

If you have to go back to 8.1, it will work fine - it's driver support is far better than windows 7 - I doubt you would have any issues.

What I would do is this.

a) make system image backup of current pc.

b) clean install windows 10 by creating a usb installation stick, booting from it, selecting custom install, deleting all partitions.

Windows 10

c) then if unhappy, either install 8.1 in same way, or install as a dual boot option to test it works ok.

cereberus, Aug 27, 2016
  6. Wow!
    I didn't think I'd get replies back so soon! Awesome!
    So, after reading replies, I have a question.
    Since we just did a factory reset on the new laptop and have done nothing to it, would I need to make a system image?
    Everything we do computer-wise has originally been done on our other HP envy and all files are backed up on several different external drives.
    I had not gone through the process of setting up the files on new laptop.

Additionally:

I can get the model number of the laptop and post in a bit.

I do have Windows 8 and product key to install. Had purchased not all that long ago so it is a legitimate product.
    I also have a Vista premium and key too, not that I was thinking of going back that far as an OS, at least not on the new laptop but hey, I guess this girl is ready for almost anything? *Smile

I am not even sure how to do a clean install of Windows 10 on the new laptop. It came preloaded with it.

Now, given, there a few things that came preloaded that I would keep.

McAfee and all of the Microsoft Office 2016 stuff could be tossed out the window for all I care. I do have virus and office software of my own.

I think it also came with Avast preloaded. have actually never used it, have heard of it. not sure if I spelled it right *Smile I think it is a trial version? Since I did not open it or start to use it, not sure.

There are also others that we didn't even explore because we just got too fed up with the thing.

Any other system information that anyone would need to answer/assist, please let me know and I will get it posted. Thanks again!!!

BuffyKItty, Aug 27, 2016
  7. cereberus Win User
    An image backup is not essential as you have recovery drives and your data is backed up.

Do not go back to vista - you will get driver issues.

I gave you the link to do a clean install of windows 10. I would persevere before giving up - it really is easier to use than windows 8.

By definition, you cannot keep software and do clean install. You would have to buy expensive tools to do this. YOu would have to download and reinstall as appropriate,

Forget avast - defender is fine these days. I would install malwarebytes free as a backup tool.

cereberus, Aug 27, 2016
  8. Downgrade a new HP laptop from windows 10 to Windows 8 - Possible?

BuffyKItty, Aug 27, 2016
  9. Hello,
    I think I understand most of this.
    ok with not doing an image backup.
    I was just teasing about going to Vista. Actually have an older desktop that am thinking of experimenting with for that one.
    Debate is still on over keeping 10 or not but will keep in mind the clean install.

Not entirely sure what this below means.

By definition, you cannot keep software and do clean install. You would have to buy expensive tools to do this. YOu would have to download and reinstall as appropriate,

Since I have purchased a legit copy of windows 8 install and the new laptop came preinstalled with Windows 10, I am confused. Any additional software that we would want to install on the laptop, which isn't much, is for our printer, office, digital camera and a few other creative picture/scrapbook type of things.

Yes, I know and have Defender! This I understand! *Smile
    Malwarebytes I know too!!!

LOL, I don't know much but those 2 things I understand. Alas, I will never be as smart as you folks on the forum *Sad

BuffyKItty, Aug 27, 2016
  10. Driver research - I have found win 8.1 64 bit for the intel Pentium.
    That's good news!

Do I have to find driver for the hard drive?

I know, my questions may sound stupid to those of you who are so much more intelligent in this than I am.

If so, how do I find out exactly what I need to search for?

BuffyKItty, Aug 27, 2016
  11. cereberus Win User
    If you want to install windows 8 - just create a usb installation stick using this official ms link.

Windows 8

You will not need to worry about drivers unless really unlucky,

cereberus, Aug 27, 2016
  12. sn00ker Win User
    I'm curious to know your list that you don't like or doesn't work on 10 . You really haven't said what your problems are with 10 except not being able to log into your bank accounts with Edge which has nothing to do with the operating system, use a different browsers like Firefox, Chrome or even IE 11 which is also installed on Windows 10 . I could be wrong but I believe your problem with 10 is all the software HP loads on your system and I believe your processor is 1.6 GHz which probably can't handle to many open programs running . If this is the case I would do a factory reset and afterwards make a total back up image of your system. Once that is done I would uninstall lots of the HP crap software, ones that you will never use .

sn00ker, Aug 27, 2016
  13. Downgrade a new HP laptop from windows 10 to Windows 8 - Possible?

I have just found the realtek driver for the rtl8188ee for the windows 8 group as well!

So, I now have bookmarked the links on our other HP laptop for the intel Pentium and the realtek drivers.
    I have the windows 8 OS disc and key.

There is something called DTS sound on the laptop which I am guessing is like the BING audio controls on our HP envy.
    Is this software that is needed?

On our Envy, we hardly ever open the Bing control and use it to adjust the sound.. maybe a handful of times in the 2 years that we've had it.

If it isn't an essential thing to have, would I need to worry about it?

There is software for the cyberlink dvd, webcam and such but I believe I would be able to redownload that either from the laptop's HP page or from cyberlink site? The license codes are printed on the Belarc report.

If memory serves right, we had an issue with the Envy one time after windows updates and I redownloaded that set from cyberlink site, not HP and we haven't had any issues since. It has also updated from the HP site since then, so I would guess that it wasn't an issue or we would have known about. That was about a year ago.

Am I missing anything else in consideration of drivers?

I am going down through the Belarc now:

Adobe shockwave, if needed, will probably prompt us to download whatever version, correct?

Following that, amazon, kindle and apple apps are listed. Again, this, if needed or wanted can be obtained later?
    Following the list down: I have a list of apps from the windows store for my Microsoft account - no big deal here.

Dropbox is next.

Since we back up to externals, probably not an issue?

A bunch of HP stuff is listed next...support assistant, recovery, network check.

Now, if I do the downgrade to Windows 8.1, I could probably load HP assistant but I am wondering since the laptop is set up with Windows 10, will the HP assistant even be able to give us updates?

I would think that a manual check for drivers for the hardware and software would be the way to go?

There are a bunch of Microsoft things listed next but with the install of 8, all of that would load and then update as needed with windows updates?

There are some Intel items listed next, these would come from the intel driver/site correct?

Then there are more Microsoft items listed...some are windows store apps and then there is the get office, groove music and cortana and edge.

These either aren't needed for Win 8 or will install as required for 8, I think.

Skype is on there but if it isn't with the Windows 8 and if I want to install on new laptop, I can download myself. Not even sure if I want or will use it on the new laptop. Rarely use, except at Christmas time, lol.

The rest of the stuff listed downward on Belarc are more windows store apps, a bunch of windows 10 things like phone companion and onedrive and my security software, twitter and wild tangent games.

Sorry to make such a long post here but I know if I am going to do the Windows 8 downgrade, it would be best not to overlook anything, right?

Again, thanks to all of you who have responded. You all are awesome!

BuffyKItty, Aug 27, 2016
  14. Yes, I have already created the Win 8 usb when I purchased the OS.

BuffyKItty, Aug 27, 2016
  15. Thanks everyone!

The last remaining question that I Have is, if we decide to do the 8 downgrade, once the screen comes up to install and there are the 2 options,

should I choose the custom/advance one?

If I do understand correctly, this option wipes our all of the windows 10 and recovery portions?

Since there are several partitions listed and I think 2 of them were reserved, what exactly do I need to do here?

Do I delete partitions so that there is only 1 left and then install windows 8?

I am not certain but do you not want only 1 partition to begin with and then, once it installs, will it create a recovery partition for Windows 8 and then leave a 2nd partition for the remainder of the hard drive to be used by everything else?

This is the only part of the process that is unclear to me.

I understand getting the correct drivers and having a nice, unbloated crap ware 8 install.
    Anything else?

Oh and to answer sn00ker,

I guess the reasons why we want to dump Windows 10:
    hate Cortana
    hate edge

took awhile to discover ie 11 was actually in there but had several instances where we would clink on a link for things and edge automatically opened instead of 11. Never could understand fully how to tell it we didn't want to use Edge, ever.

hate the fact that there is no control over windows updates or very little as far as putting it off until later.

in fact, we had severe storms with lightning moving into our area one night and I found out that instead of being able to just shut down the computer, it only had a restart and install option available. Apparently it had windows updates ready to install.
    Suppose I could have tried pulling the battery, telling it to restart and than in the few quick moments of powered off, pulling out the AC cord might have worked.

The anniversary update totally screwed things up.

Our printer would not work (Brand new printer, only have had since May), updates for it wouldn't complete after that anniversary update, we kept losing wireless internet capability and had to go completely cable for that and our security software suddenly became unworkable. Tried to turn defender on at that point and it wouldn't stay turned on either.

kept getting these little fly in message screens from the lower right hand side of the screen but they flew in and out so fast, couldn't even begin to fathom what they were for. Assume they might have been related to action center??

Customizing the darn thing! Appearance, text size, icon size.

Had loaded a few software discs and then, a day later, the icons on the desktop had changed to this little whitelike papersheet instead of the picture that was there when I initially loaded.

Could never figure out how to get the pic back for those 3 program icons.

Chose a purple background for the desktop screen on the new laptop and next thing I knew, our other HP envy suddenly had a purple background screen. Then I discovered 10 has this feature about installing updates for PCs connected to your network and we were like, what?

Just because they are on the network doesn't mean I want them both to look alike and I certainly do not want 10 mucking up our Envy laptop.

We have it set up exactly the way we want it to stay.

Then found out that the next 3 days, that option had changed from off, nope to a yes, on state. I hadn't changed the setting either. Don't know why but it kept turning itself on.

In fact, the settings for several things that I had turned off, kept turning on when I had them to off.

Edge and explorer, neither one would let us sign on to our bank.

facebook took forever to load on both edge and explorer.

keyboard went wonky after the anniversary update as well.

And hubby had his own list of dislikes.

Me, I prefer Windows 7 and then 8.1. Hubby prefers 8.1 and then 7, if given preference.
    While I enjoy using some of the apps from the Windows store, some picture editing things and the Microsoft solitaire suite, I really prefer the setup of Windows 7 when I am using computer.
    Hubby prefers 8.1 over 7.
    We both hate the new outlook update that recently hit for our email but oh well, that is what it is.

So, overall, I want to actually use the computer as a tool. I don't want to have to spend every minute that I actually have it on looking over settings and trying to figure out how to use it and checking to see what went wonky. I would like to know my wireless is going to work, a laptop is supposed to be portable and not deskbound/cable bound.

Neither of us wants to say, hey, I want the Envy, you use this Windows 10 crap system. Or get up and go use the old Windows 7 desktop.

So, that last part was my windows 10 rant, please forgive me for not liking it.

Thanks everyone, you all have been a tremendous help this morning. I am so honored to learn from each of you.

BuffyKItty, Aug 27, 2016
Thema:

Downgrade a new HP laptop from windows 10 to Windows 8 - Possible?

1. Downgrade a new HP laptop from windows 10 to Windows 8 - Possible? - Similar Threads - Downgrade laptop Possible

2. how to downgrade from windows 10 to windows 8?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to downgrade from windows 10 to windows 8?: how to downgrade from windows 10 to windows 8? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-downgrade-from-windows-10-to-windows-8/509d677e-b88a-408c-813b-13ccd4530b59
  3. how to downgrade from windows 10 to windows 8?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to downgrade from windows 10 to windows 8?: how to downgrade from windows 10 to windows 8? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-downgrade-from-windows-10-to-windows-8/509d677e-b88a-408c-813b-13ccd4530b59
  4. how to downgrade from windows 10 to windows 8?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How to downgrade from windows 10 to 8?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to downgrade from windows 10 to 8?: I have Toshiba laptop windows 7 core i3.So like years ago I upgraded it to windows 8 and it was ok, after that months ago i also updated to windows 10 and now its really slow and not responding as actual.So I downloaded the source of windows 8.1 from the website and tried to...
  6. How to downgrade from windows 10 to 8?

How to downgrade from windows 10 to 8?: I have Toshiba laptop windows 7 core i3.So like years ago I upgraded it to windows 8 and it was ok, after that months ago i also updated to windows 10 and now its really slow and not responding as actual.So I downloaded the source of windows 8.1 from the website and tried to...
  7. How to downgrade from windows 10 to 8?

8. Is it possible to downgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 7?

Is it possible to downgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 7?: Hi, I am working at an engineering firm and they had written a code that communicated with motor controllers via a USB to serial port. Recently windows had forced an update, as the computer had been on Windows 7 until then. The code is no longer able to communicate via the...
  9. Is it possible to downgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 7?

Is it possible to downgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 7?: Hi, I am working at an engineering firm and they had written a code that communicated with motor controllers via a USB to serial port. Recently windows had forced an update, as the computer had been on Windows 7 until then. The code is no longer able to communicate via the...
  10. Is it possible to downgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 7?

in Windows 10 Gaming