Windows 10: Downgrade from 10 to 7

Discus and support Downgrade from 10 to 7 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello all ! Do you know how to downgrade a W10 ( as well as 8.1) pre-installed computer to Windows 7 ? Looks like it's not so easy as booting from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by josselin8, Feb 22, 2016.

1. josselin8 Win User

Downgrade from 10 to 7

Hello all !

Do you know how to downgrade a W10 ( as well as 8.1) pre-installed computer to Windows 7 ?
    Looks like it's not so easy as booting from a DVD or USB key and installing !

Thanks a lot !
    Joss

:)

josselin8, Feb 22, 2016

2. windows10 SL

You will have to furnish your own Windows 7 license if you want to downgrade from Windows 10.

Only computers that come preinstalled with Windows 10 Pro are entitled to free downgrade.

Learn more:

How to Downgrade Preinstalled Windows 10
    to Windows 7/8.1

Andre Da Costa, Feb 22, 2016
  3. Syedamon Win User
    Downgrade from Windows 10

I want to downgrade from windows 10 back to windows 8.1 but my computer offers a downgrade to windows 7. How can I downgrade back to windows 8.1 not windows 7? I never had windows 7. I only had windows 8.1

Syedamon, Feb 22, 2016
  4. WHS
    whs Win User

Downgrade from 10 to 7

The main problem will be your OS license. Check first whether you have a free downgrade option.

5. josselin8 Win User
    Do you mean about Pro or standard (home for W10) ? Because each time it's OEM pre-equipped versions.
    The problem is that we can't downgrade to W7 even after creating the bootable device. I don't have time to activate it.

josselin8, Feb 22, 2016
  6. josselin8 Win User
    When I say downgrading, of course I mean installing a fresh copy of the OS. It looks like we can't do this either *Sad

josselin8, Feb 22, 2016
  7. WHS
    whs Win User
    It should be easy to install Windows 7. But you may have to buy a new license.

8. josselin8 Win User

Downgrade from 10 to 7

Yes, the problem is, the BIOS is actually locked, as if they don't allow you to put W7...
    I'm trying to find a way to unlock it.

josselin8, Feb 22, 2016
  9. WHS
    whs Win User
    What does the BIOS actually do to you. That sounds very unusual.

10. sml156 Win User
    Actually I have an Acer Desktop that came with Windows 8 and the BIOS would only let me install Win 8 and above, The only way to install Windows 7 on it would be to downgrade the BIOS to an earlier version

sml156, Feb 22, 2016
  11. WHS
    whs Win User
    Hmm, they do all kinds of strange things these days. Why not use 8.1. That is pretty nice too. I like that a lot better than 10.

12. josselin8 Win User
    Bingo ! That's our problem ! Any other suggestions than downgrading the BIOS ?

Joss

josselin8, Feb 22, 2016
  13. cereberus Win User

Downgrade from 10 to 7

Why do you want to go back to 7 anyway?

You can pretty much configure Windows 8.1 to be same as Windows 7, it is smoother, better driver support, easy to reinstall etc., and it will not cost you anything.

Reverting bios to an older version is a bad plan.

If you need to run Windows 7 to run specific apps, then simply install it in a virtual machine. You still need a new licence.

cereberus, Feb 22, 2016
  14. josselin8 Win User
    Or can I simply create a new partition in my HDD and put the old 7? Will the BIOS let me do that ?

Joss

josselin8, Feb 22, 2016
  15. alphanumeric, Feb 22, 2016
Thema:

Downgrade from 10 to 7

1. Downgrade from 10 to 7 - Similar Threads - Downgrade

2. Will downgrading from Windows 11 to Windows 10 delete these pre-installed apps?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will downgrading from Windows 11 to Windows 10 delete these pre-installed apps?: Hi, i have this Acer gaming laptop which comes with Windows 10 and i upgraded it to Windows 11 before, but it has few problems such as the whole system yes including windows and everything lags or stutters, so i came to conclusion that downgrading to Windows 10 might be the...
  3. Will downgrading from Windows 11 to Windows 10 delete these pre-installed apps?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Will downgrading from Windows 11 to Windows 10 delete these pre-installed apps?: Hi, i have this Acer gaming laptop which comes with Windows 10 and i upgraded it to Windows 11 before, but it has few problems such as the whole system yes including windows and everything lags or stutters, so i came to conclusion that downgrading to Windows 10 might be the...
  4. can you downgrade Windows 10 Enterprise to Windows 10 Pro?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can you downgrade Windows 10 Enterprise to Windows 10 Pro?: can you downgrade Windows 10 Enterprise to Windows 10 Pro? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-you-downgrade-windows-10-enterprise-to-windows/3bb5f55c-60f1-4c33-9fbf-b4b4c9453116
  5. can you downgrade Windows 10 Enterprise to Windows 10 Pro?

can you downgrade Windows 10 Enterprise to Windows 10 Pro?: can you downgrade Windows 10 Enterprise to Windows 10 Pro? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-you-downgrade-windows-10-enterprise-to-windows/3bb5f55c-60f1-4c33-9fbf-b4b4c9453116
  6. can you downgrade Windows 10 Enterprise to Windows 10 Pro?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. How to Downgrade to WIN10 from WIN11 Officially

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Downgrade to WIN10 from WIN11 Officially: Hello, I have a Acer Laptop which I bought on June 2019 and it came preinstalled with Windows 10 but when Windows 11 was released I upgraded for free but now I want to downgrade it back to Windows 10 as I am having issues with some SW and performance .. Ques1. How I do it...
  8. How to Downgrade to WIN10 from WIN11 Officially

How to Downgrade to WIN10 from WIN11 Officially: Hello, I have a Acer Laptop which I bought on June 2019 and it came preinstalled with Windows 10 but when Windows 11 was released I upgraded for free but now I want to downgrade it back to Windows 10 as I am having issues with some SW and performance .. Ques1. How I do it...
  9. I need help getting out of BSOD after trying to downgrade Windows from 11 to 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need help getting out of BSOD after trying to downgrade Windows from 11 to 10: My MoBo: GIGABYTE H410M S2My CPU: Intel i5-10400fMy GPU: NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 1030Basically I tried enabling secure boot on win 11 but it did not work, so I thought of downgrading my system but of course something had to go wrong and i am stuck in a loop of BSODs....
  10. I need help getting out of BSOD after trying to downgrade Windows from 11 to 10

I need help getting out of BSOD after trying to downgrade Windows from 11 to 10: My MoBo: GIGABYTE H410M S2My CPU: Intel i5-10400fMy GPU: NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 1030Basically I tried enabling secure boot on win 11 but it did not work, so I thought of downgrading my system but of course something had to go wrong and i am stuck in a loop of BSODs....