Windows 10: Downgrade from 10 to 7

Discus and support Downgrade from 10 to 7 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello all ! Do you know how to downgrade a W10 ( as well as 8.1) pre-installed computer to Windows 7 ? Looks like it's not so easy as booting from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by josselin8, Feb 22, 2016.

1. josselin8 Win User

Downgrade from 10 to 7

Hello all !

Do you know how to downgrade a W10 ( as well as 8.1) pre-installed computer to Windows 7 ?
    Looks like it's not so easy as booting from a DVD or USB key and installing !

Thanks a lot !
    Joss

:)

josselin8, Feb 22, 2016

2. windows10 SL

You will have to furnish your own Windows 7 license if you want to downgrade from Windows 10.

Only computers that come preinstalled with Windows 10 Pro are entitled to free downgrade.

Learn more:

How to Downgrade Preinstalled Windows 10
    to Windows 7/8.1

Andre Da Costa, Feb 22, 2016
  3. Syedamon Win User
    Downgrade from Windows 10

I want to downgrade from windows 10 back to windows 8.1 but my computer offers a downgrade to windows 7. How can I downgrade back to windows 8.1 not windows 7? I never had windows 7. I only had windows 8.1

Syedamon, Feb 22, 2016
  4. WHS
    whs Win User

Downgrade from 10 to 7

The main problem will be your OS license. Check first whether you have a free downgrade option.

5. josselin8 Win User
    Do you mean about Pro or standard (home for W10) ? Because each time it's OEM pre-equipped versions.
    The problem is that we can't downgrade to W7 even after creating the bootable device. I don't have time to activate it.

josselin8, Feb 22, 2016
  6. josselin8 Win User
    When I say downgrading, of course I mean installing a fresh copy of the OS. It looks like we can't do this either *Sad

josselin8, Feb 22, 2016
  7. WHS
    whs Win User
    It should be easy to install Windows 7. But you may have to buy a new license.

8. josselin8 Win User

Downgrade from 10 to 7

Yes, the problem is, the BIOS is actually locked, as if they don't allow you to put W7...
    I'm trying to find a way to unlock it.

josselin8, Feb 22, 2016
  9. WHS
    whs Win User
    What does the BIOS actually do to you. That sounds very unusual.

10. sml156 Win User
    Actually I have an Acer Desktop that came with Windows 8 and the BIOS would only let me install Win 8 and above, The only way to install Windows 7 on it would be to downgrade the BIOS to an earlier version

sml156, Feb 22, 2016
  11. WHS
    whs Win User
    Hmm, they do all kinds of strange things these days. Why not use 8.1. That is pretty nice too. I like that a lot better than 10.

12. josselin8 Win User
    Bingo ! That's our problem ! Any other suggestions than downgrading the BIOS ?

Joss

josselin8, Feb 22, 2016
  13. cereberus Win User

Downgrade from 10 to 7

Why do you want to go back to 7 anyway?

You can pretty much configure Windows 8.1 to be same as Windows 7, it is smoother, better driver support, easy to reinstall etc., and it will not cost you anything.

Reverting bios to an older version is a bad plan.

If you need to run Windows 7 to run specific apps, then simply install it in a virtual machine. You still need a new licence.

cereberus, Feb 22, 2016
  14. josselin8 Win User
    Or can I simply create a new partition in my HDD and put the old 7? Will the BIOS let me do that ?

Joss

josselin8, Feb 22, 2016
  15. alphanumeric, Feb 22, 2016
Thema:

Downgrade from 10 to 7

1. Downgrade from 10 to 7 - Similar Threads - Downgrade

2. Watermark showing on desktop screen; downgraded W10 Enterprise Retail, back to W10 Home...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Watermark showing on desktop screen; downgraded W10 Enterprise Retail, back to W10 Home...: I have -2- persistent problems that are difficult to find specific information on: 1)Expired windows store token certificate (2018), reappears continually (after shutdown) with full-rights access (all check-boxes) for certificate purpose. A replacement token certificate...
  3. Intel Hd Graphics downgraded to Regular Intel Graphics

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Intel Hd Graphics downgraded to Regular Intel Graphics: Hello, I formated my computer and before that under (DeviceManager>Display Adapter) i had Intel HD Graphics with that I was able to play 3D rendered games like Minecart but When I formatted my Laptop the Display adapter changed to "Intel Family Chipset" I can't play...
  4. Win10 Insider Build 1903; downgrade issues?

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 Insider Build 1903; downgrade issues?: Normally when I need to quickly reset windows I run the iso of the build I have, and after being given a choice, i select keep nothing* *but this actually moves my files to a windows.old folder! Recently I've decided to test out windows insider builds again, and am...
  5. How to downgrade Windows from Windows 10 PRO to Windows 10 Home Edition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to downgrade Windows from Windows 10 PRO to Windows 10 Home Edition: I bought a new laptop which came with Windows 10 Home edition. My son somehow installed Windows 10 Pro on it. Now the windows's activation status shows "Windows is not activated" and the Troubleshooting tool displays the following message; "We found a Windows 10 Home...
  6. Downgrade from Windows 10 Enterprise to Home

Downgrade from Windows 10 Enterprise to Home: I have a licence to activate Windows using a Windows 10 Home copy on a computer, but the computer I want it on will not let me downgrade from Enterprise, which my friend had put on it and it was an invalid Key, and I want Home put on it, but I can't activate it with Home...
  7. Windows 10 Pro Key Downgraded to Home

Windows 10 Pro Key Downgraded to Home: Yes, the title looks dumb but it really happened, I reinstalled my Windows using the .iso, everything ran smoothly no activation prompt just a fresh install of Windows 10 I thought, but It wasn't. I found out that my Windows 10 Pro license got downgraded to a Home Single...
  8. "Downgrade" to "lower" Win10 version by System Restore possible?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    "Downgrade" to "lower" Win10 version by System Restore possible?: Assume I created a SRP on a Win10 v1803 system. Later I was upgraded by automatic updates to Win10 v1903, Then after some problems in the following weeks I decided to do a System restore to the SRP I created in the past. Is this possible? Or are (in general) only SRP...
  9. "Downgrade" to "lower" Win10 version by System Restore possible?

in Windows 10 Support
    "Downgrade" to "lower" Win10 version by System Restore possible?: Assume I created a SRP on a Win10 v1803 system. Later I was upgraded by automatic updates to Win10 v1903, Then after some problems in the following weeks I decided to do a System restore to the SRP I created in the past. Is this possible? Or are (in general) only SRP...
  10. Downgrade to Windows 10 Home from Windows 10 Pro

Downgrade to Windows 10 Home from Windows 10 Pro: So, I recently checked my activation tab and it shows I have Windows 10 Pro activated, but it's for 6 months only, counterfeit windows has been put on my laptop. I have a retail Windows 10 Home key, I want to downgrade to Home edition, any steps?...