Windows 10: Downgrade from Windows 10 to 8.1

Discus and support Downgrade from Windows 10 to 8.1 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Unless you have very few programs and no backup image, I would stay with Windows 10 unless you are prepared for a clean install and a re install of all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by avada, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Gary Win User

Downgrade from Windows 10 to 8.1

Unless you have very few programs and no backup image, I would stay with Windows 10 unless you are prepared for a clean install and a re install of all of your programs.

2. avada Win User

I constantly updated...

avada, Sep 3, 2015
  3. avada Win User
    Hello!
    I'm about to downgrade. Can I move my user account somehow? I hate having to suffer with NTFS rights with a new account.

avada, Sep 8, 2015
  4. Joergi Win User

Just like with the upgrade, after a downgrade you will continue using your same Windows user account.

Joergi, Sep 8, 2015
  5. avada Win User
    Not how it looks like.
    Apparently a clean install is the only way to downgrade.
    At first it seemeffd I could fool the installer, by starting it in 8.1 compatibility mode. But it failed when it tried to install.

avada, Sep 9, 2015
  6. nkomp18 Win User
    I am trying to downgrade too.

My experience with 10 has been a total nightmare!

nkomp18, Sep 9, 2015
  7. Joergi Win User
    Settings > Updates & Security > Restore > Back to Windows 8.1 is the way, which Microsoft recommends to downgrade.

Since this might for one reason or the other not work as expected and since I am not 100% sure that it will leave you with exactly what you had before the upgrade, my way to go back would be to take my system image of Windows 8.1 (the wise man makes provision for the future) and to play it back onto my C:\ drive.

Joergi, Sep 9, 2015
  8. avada Win User

Well, you didn't read previous posts. That's not possible anymore for me.

avada, Sep 9, 2015
  9. nkomp18 Win User
    Yeah not possible for me either. I formatted my drive before and did a clean install of Windows 10 (only to realise that it doesn't work).

Where can I download the official ISO for 8.1 Home x64 from?

nkomp18, Sep 9, 2015
  10. avada Win User
    For heaven's sake...
    If I boot the 8.1 disc I get an empty purples screen and nothing more.
    If I start the installer from windows 10 I get: "Can't determine supported installation options" (translated by me)
    If I run it in win8 compatibility mode the installation fails with a very informative " windows installation failed" message.
    F*cking MS. Can't do anything right since Win 7.

avada, Sep 9, 2015
  11. lx07 Win User
    You've got to persevere with the first option. You can't run the 8.1 installer from within 10 - it will not work as you can't upgrade backwards. You want to boot from your 8.1 media, wipe the disk and clean install.

Did you make a bootable DVD or USB?

12. avada Win User
    I can't even clean install from win 10 even though I should be able to.

Anyway I made a DVD.

avada, Sep 9, 2015
  13. lx07 Win User

If you are booting from the DVD and you only get a purple screen then something is wrong with the DVD - you'll have to make it again.

If the DVD was good you could remove your hard drive completely and it would still get to step 8 here Clean Install - Windows 8 as the installer doesn't look at what disks you have connected until then.

Do you see any of the screens in this link at all? If not are you sure you are booting from the DVD?

14. Joergi Win User
    I have read your previous posts. Let me quote what I myself wrote five days ago:

Basically there is not much to add:
    • First you did something critical like an OS upgrade, obviously without even thinking about that it could go awry.
    • Then you have not created a backup as creating backups only is a waste of time.
    • And finally you even got active yourself by deleting the downgrade files - just to make sure there really is no way to downgrade to your old installation anymore.

I can only congratulate you.

Joergi, Sep 9, 2015
  15. avada Win User
    Then why did you bring up again something that is already out of the question...

Anyway. I didn't come here for a sermon, but for advice on an issue I'm acually having.

avada, Sep 9, 2015
Thema:

1. Downgrade from Windows 10 to 8.1 - Similar Threads - Downgrade

2. Windows Pro downgraded to Home on OEM License of Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Pro downgraded to Home on OEM License of Pro: Dell OEM license for Windows 8 pro was upgraded to 11 pro a few years ago, now It's on 11 Home. I upgraded to Win 11 Pro some years ago and it's been fine. How do I go back to 11 Pro without having to reinstall? I used ShowKeyPlus and it shows installed key as Win 10 RTM Core...
  3. Windows Pro downgraded to Home on OEM License of Pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Pro downgraded to Home on OEM License of Pro: Dell OEM license for Windows 8 pro was upgraded to 11 pro a few years ago, now It's on 11 Home. I upgraded to Win 11 Pro some years ago and it's been fine. How do I go back to 11 Pro without having to reinstall? I used ShowKeyPlus and it shows installed key as Win 10 RTM Core...
  4. Does Media Creation Tool require USB to downgrade from 11?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Does Media Creation Tool require USB to downgrade from 11?: I saw one article that claims you can just download the Media Creation Tool to install directly on the computer that downloaded it by clicking "upgrade this pc" if you got a new laptop that came with 11 and want to downgrade it to 10, has anyone done that successfully or do...
  5. Problem with downgrading to Windows 10 from 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with downgrading to Windows 10 from 11: I have a dell vostro 7500. I upgraded to windows 11 yesterday. And i didnt like the way windows 11 runs on my laptop, so i wanted to downgrade. Iam within the 10 day period to downgrade, buy everytime i try to do so, instead of downgrading, it boots me into troubleshoot menu....
  6. Problem with downgrading to Windows 10 from 11

Problem with downgrading to Windows 10 from 11: I have a dell vostro 7500. I upgraded to windows 11 yesterday. And i didnt like the way windows 11 runs on my laptop, so i wanted to downgrade. Iam within the 10 day period to downgrade, buy everytime i try to do so, instead of downgrading, it boots me into troubleshoot menu....
  7. Is it possible to downgrade Windows Vista 64-bit to Windows XP 32-bit?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it possible to downgrade Windows Vista 64-bit to Windows XP 32-bit?: And if I can't just downgrade, is it possible to do it some other way? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-possible-to-downgrade-windows-vista-64-bit/db58e592-acb0-452a-826b-9369cb51a9fa
  8. Is it possible to downgrade Windows Vista 64-bit to Windows XP 32-bit?

Is it possible to downgrade Windows Vista 64-bit to Windows XP 32-bit?: And if I can't just downgrade, is it possible to do it some other way? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-possible-to-downgrade-windows-vista-64-bit/db58e592-acb0-452a-826b-9369cb51a9fa
  9. How do I downgrade from DX12 to DX11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I downgrade from DX12 to DX11?: I want to run Project Nova but apon opening I get a white box that tells me I need DX11 Level 10 to run it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-downgrade-from-dx12-to-dx11/bc3068a9-ba71-4201-96ae-b4b894e5ff1f
  10. How do I downgrade from DX12 to DX11?

How do I downgrade from DX12 to DX11?: I want to run Project Nova but apon opening I get a white box that tells me I need DX11 Level 10 to run it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-downgrade-from-dx12-to-dx11/bc3068a9-ba71-4201-96ae-b4b894e5ff1f