Windows 10: [Downgrade W10 to W7] Windows 7 won't boot

Discus and support [Downgrade W10 to W7] Windows 7 won't boot in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello Tenforum users, I have been trying to replace pre-installed Windows 10 to Windows 7 x64 in UEFI (Secure boot disabled) on my girlfriend lap... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Minjan, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Minjan Win User

[Downgrade W10 to W7] Windows 7 won't boot

Hello Tenforum users,

I have been trying to replace pre-installed Windows 10 to Windows 7 x64 in UEFI (Secure boot disabled) on my girlfriend lap Acer V15 V3-575G-50W2. Bios version is 1.10.
    I almost have lost my sanity with such a task (why should be so difficult to install another OS?)

As I wrote earlier, I wan't to install W7 in UEFI - so far I have successfully booted W7 x64 USB device, formatted Primary Partition (no other partitions were modified or formatted), the installation was almost made, just one restart was needed at the end of installation as usually. After the restart, the "Starting Windows" screen appeared, but it frozed almost immediately.

I'm running out of ideas now - I'm completely clueless and have no idea, what to search for...

Thanks for any usefull advice ^^

:)

Minjan, Jul 9, 2016

2. Upgrade and downgrade rights

I have a new Dell with Windows 7 64-bit Professional pre-installed "via downgrade rights to Windows 8". The recovery media that comes with the computer will re-install that OS (apparently -- it does boot up Windows 7 installation, and I haven't tried a complete
    re-set). The "Get Windows 10" icon is available on the machine, so I assume that I'm eligible for a free upgrade to W10 over the next 10 months.

When / if I upgrade, do I ever get recovery media that will re-install Windows 10? Suppose my drive crashes in 2 years and I have to replace it. Right now I have W7 media that will reinstall W7. But I presumably cannot restore a W10 installation (complete
    system image) to a machine with W7 installed, I would have to first re-install W10 in order to restore my system. At that future point, reinstalling W7 and selecting the free upgrade presumably would not work. So how does one recover W10 from a disk crash
    if one has W10 via upgrade from W7 (and does Dell's "thorough downgrade rights" change anything)?

DavidOdden, Jul 9, 2016
  3. Flavio.M Win User
    PCMCIA Not Working: in W10 it is not possible to access the COMPACT FLASH inserted in the PCMCIA slot

I've started a W7-64 clean install end everything was working fine

then

I've upgraded to W10-64 with the result that PCMCIA was no longer working

I won't search any longer, I just downgrade to W7-64 thats all

Flavio.M, Jul 9, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Why do you want to downgrade a laptop that came from the factory with Windows 10 and does not have factory support for Windows 7 down to Windows 7?

NavyLCDR, Jul 9, 2016
  5. Minjan Win User
    Hello NavyLCDR,
    thank you for your reply.

If it depends on me, I would buy new laptop without OS or with Win7, but at the time there was only this option.
    She needs to run some SW and stuff that currently don't work on Win 10.

I hope this thread will not gonna twist into W10 promo. We have decided to install W7 on it and maybe later, when the W10 grows up a bit, upgrade to W10.

At the moment, Im looking for a way, how to boot W7 correctly. (or reason, why isn't it booting correctly)

Minjan, Jul 9, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    What I would recommend is to run Windows 7 in a virtual machine hosted by Windows 10. It sounds like the laptop has hardware that is no longer compatible with Windows 7. The virtual machine "layer" will take care of the hardware compatibility. I love installing operating systems and making them work - that's why I am in the Windows 10 insider program and I have Beta tested Windows all the way back to Windows 95. For fun I tried installing Windows 7 on a desktop computer I built from scratch about 4 months ago. I got so frustrated trying to make the new hardware work with Windows 7 that even I gave up on that project and in my playing and testing I install Windows once/week on average.

Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Although it does require Windows 10 Pro.

Also, though, your question would better be asked at sevenforums.com since you are trying to install Windows 7.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. [Downgrade W10 to W7] Windows 7 won't boot - Similar Threads - Downgrade W10 won't

2. Triple boot W7 W10 W11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Triple boot W7 W10 W11: I have a dual boot Win 7/Win 10 system with both OS on different SSD. I intend to instal Win 11 on another separate SSD. I would like to retain some apps on W7 and W10 system so is it possible to triple boot when Win 11 is installed ? Data etc is on separate HDD....
  3. Triple boot W7 W10 W11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Triple boot W7 W10 W11: I have a dual boot Win 7/Win 10 system with both OS on different SSD. I intend to instal Win 11 on another separate SSD. I would like to retain some apps on W7 and W10 system so is it possible to triple boot when Win 11 is installed ? Data etc is on separate HDD....
  4. Broke raid, booted to W7 instead of w10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Broke raid, booted to W7 instead of w10: Ok, so, I got to W10 from W7 or, so I thought. It was super slow and doing 100% disk usage so, I thought, maybe it was due to my Raid disks not being synched. So, I looked for IRST, but it wasn't there so, I tried to install it, but I got a message saying something about...
  5. W7 or W10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    W7 or W10: Hi everyone, I have got W10 for a while. Now I have upgraded my PC. But, Lots of part of the motherboard / sound, graphic / can't work properly, because their drivers were writing for W7. Under W10 they just work on basic level. The issue about the compatibility makes lags...
  6. Clean install W10 on W7\W10 dual boot system.

Clean install W10 on W7\W10 dual boot system.: Just curious, is it possible to carry out a clean install of 10 on my hard drive which has 7 and 10 as a dual boot? obviously on the 10 partition. Thank you. 110034
  7. Upgraded to W10, downgraded to W7 unconventionally, won't activate

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgraded to W10, downgraded to W7 unconventionally, won't activate: This is kinda a Windows 7 question, but I think Windows 10 might have changed my product key and now it's incompatible with 7 or something. Basically, I 'upgraded' W7 to W10 a while back and exceeded my W7 rollback date (wanted a clean install anyway) so I looked around and...
  8. Dual Boot W10/W7 error message on boot

Dual Boot W10/W7 error message on boot: I have W10 and W7 on separate drives, and used the information on this thread Solved EasyBCD Dual Boot management for Win10 and Win7 on separate drives - Windows 10 Forums to enable dual booting without using the F8. The dual boot was followed from the W10 installation, and...
  9. Dual boot w7 + w10

Dual boot w7 + w10: You are welcome. Glad we could help. Hi guys! Please help! So I have 2 ssd drive. Each of it has a working operating system (w7, w10). How to make the w10 dual boot menu? You had written, that we have to use the bcdboot command... From which operating system? I like...
  10. Downgrade W10 to W7 on a New System

Downgrade W10 to W7 on a New System: I need to have W7 or 8 for my system for compatibility with equipment at work. I want to buy a new computer but they all run on W10 now. Is it possible to downgrade from a W10 to a 7 on a brand new system? Everything I have searched seems to be if the system already had...