Windows 10: Download a WIndows 10 theme using a Local account

Discus and support Download a WIndows 10 theme using a Local account in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; At one time you could download and install desktop themes from a local account. At some point they moved the themes into the store so not you have to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Ztruker, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Ztruker Win User

Download a WIndows 10 theme using a Local account

At one time you could download and install desktop themes from a local account. At some point they moved the themes into the store so not you have to login with a Microsoft Account to download a theme.

Anyone know of a work around for this?

:)

Ztruker, Jan 1, 2018
  2. JFDRV Win User

Themes not showing up in personalization with a professional account on Windows 10

I downloaded themes from Microsoft Store on Windows 10 but I can apply them because they don't show up in the personalization settings when I'm logged in to Windows with an AzureAD account. I created a local account and the themes are showing up. Is the
    a bug or a "feature"? Any help would be appreciated.

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows settings

JFDRV, Jan 1, 2018
  3. A-V Carl Win User
    Win-10 themes keep changing

I am using a Microsoft account I really don't want to go local, I can't believe there would be no way to save and have the theme you want all the time. Most of the themes it changes to are quite annoying. Is there a way I can edit the registry to stop the
    the themes from changing?

A-V Carl, Jan 1, 2018
  4. Bree New Member

Bree, Jan 1, 2018
  5. Ztruker Win User
    Does the other way still work for you (the first link you posted)? I'll tryt it in a few minutes.

Ztruker, Jan 2, 2018
  6. Bree New Member
    Yes, I've downloaded a few, they have a .themepack extension and will install by double-clicking on them - just using a local account.

Bree, Jan 2, 2018
  7. Ztruker Win User
    Thanks. I just tried it too and it worked fine. Thanks again.

Ztruker, Jan 2, 2018
  8. Bree New Member

Glad that worked for you.

It makes very little sense that a 'free' theme in the Store can only be downloaded after signing in. What little sense there may be could be related to copyright - the example one I gave a link for does say...
    ...so perhaps MS want you to sign in so they are legally covered in the event you misuse the images - they can disclaim responsibility saying you agreed to their T&Cs by signing in.

The sign-in requirement certainly isn't Store-wide, there are other Microsoft apps I've installed without being asked to sign in, the very useful 'MPEG2 Video Extension' being one example.
    Store - MPEG2 Video Extension

Bree, Jan 2, 2018
  9. Ztruker Win User
    I think they are just trying to make the store more important and thus the use of a Microsoft Account more important.

Ztruker, Jan 2, 2018
  10. Edwin New Member
    Naw, it's so they can add Apps you try out to your 'Library' list; then when you find out the App sucks, you're unable to delete it from your List!

Edwin, Jan 2, 2018
  11. Bree New Member
    It's odd. The only free items in the Store I've found so far that insist on you signing in are Microsoft's Themes. You can 'Get' other apps, from Microsoft or others, without a MS account.

12. Ztruker Win User
    When did they move themes into the store? Was it around Creator Update time (July of 2016)?

Ztruker, Jan 2, 2018
  13. Stigg Win User

I didn't know about that either. *Eek
    I don't use themes much.

Stigg, Jan 2, 2018
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jan 2, 2018
  15. Bree New Member
    Apparently so....

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...mOLfG0CFHFg.97

Thema:

1. Download a WIndows 10 theme using a Local account - Similar Threads - Download theme using

2. download themes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    download themes: download themes https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/download-themes/caef82cc-9fb3-4cff-a19a-cba83c6b2460
  3. download themes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    download themes: download themes https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/download-themes/caef82cc-9fb3-4cff-a19a-cba83c6b2460
  4. Windows 10 Calendar entries using a local account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Calendar entries using a local account: My friend has a Windows 10 system which uses a local account. He does not have a Microsoft account. He has entries in the Windows Calendar. If he now sets up a Microsoft account will the entries in Calendar be saved under the Microsoft account? Or will he have a blank...
  5. Windows 10 Calendar entries using a local account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Calendar entries using a local account: My friend has a Windows 10 system which uses a local account. He does not have a Microsoft account. He has entries in the Windows Calendar. If he now sets up a Microsoft account will the entries in Calendar be saved under the Microsoft account? Or will he have a blank...
  6. use windows 10 with microsoft account or local account?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    use windows 10 with microsoft account or local account?: i rememebr it was a requirement to sign into my new pc with a microsoft account, so i made one, but i dont find a use for it and i saw one of my friends use a local account. i want to log out of my microsoft account on my pc and delete the account, i dont use any microsoft...
  7. Themes download

in Windows 10 Customization
    Themes download: I can't download new themes from the Microsoft Store, the page doesn't open and asks to "refresh this page" but it doesn't work. What might be wrong? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/themes-download/41883f1c-5aef-4cf2-9d59-4738a6ace4d5
  8. Is there a way to setup Windows 10 using a local account

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is there a way to setup Windows 10 using a local account: It has been a while since installing a fresh copy of Windows 10 and the new version seems to insist on using an email address or phone number for installing but I don't want them to have that information how do you set it up just using a local account like you used to? 152624
  9. Downloaded themes

in Windows 10 Support
    Downloaded themes: A simple query when I download and install themes for the background just where are they stored because if I hit Browse in the Personalisation > Background there are no pics to be found and I cannot even find them in Pictures. Any advice greatly appreciated. 130938
  10. Use Local account with Windows Store

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Use Local account with Windows Store: How to: Use Local account with Windows Store How to Use Store without Switching to Microsoft Account in Windows 10 [img] Information The Microsoft Store app in Windows 10 offers various apps, games, music, movies & TV, and books that users can browse through,...