Windows 10: Download contained a malware, Windows Defender blocked

Discus and support Download contained a malware, Windows Defender blocked in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I downloaded a file, and Windows Defender immediately popped up, saying a severe malware was found and quarantined, I deleted it. But, at first I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by mibaup, Jan 31, 2018.

1. mibaup Win User

Download contained a malware, Windows Defender blocked

I downloaded a file, and Windows Defender immediately popped up, saying a severe malware was found and quarantined, I deleted it.
    But, at first I didn't notice that the download itself contained the malware, so I downloaded it again (Who knew it can discover a malware while downloading, and not after executing*Huh) - So I actually downloaded it like 2-3 times.
    Now I know that in Windows Defender quarantined history there are 2 downloads.
    Am I safe? Or I should do a clean install on my PC? (Ever since I bought an SSD it's really easy and fast to do a clean install *Biggrin)

:)

mibaup, Jan 31, 2018
  2. Divio Win User

Winhlp32 for Windows 10

Hm... - on my computer, the download is blocked either by Windows Defender or by my Cyberfox browser saying that this file contains malware or spyware...

Divio, Jan 31, 2018
  3. Le Boule Win User
    windows defender

What is the exact message are you receiving regarding Windows Defender blocking downloads?

If you are running Malwarebytes Premium and want to turn off Windows Defender that's your option...

Note: If you are receiving a message that various downloads were deleted because they contained a virus then you might have a malware issue...

Le Boule, Jan 31, 2018
  4. Download contained a malware, Windows Defender blocked

Hi @mibaup

Windows Defender should have displayed the name of the malware infection can you post it for us.

Lets check your computer for malware infections please follow below instructions.

Make sure to scan your computer with one scanner at time.

Malwarebytes' scanner
    If this program is already installed: Skip the installation and run only the scan!
    Download and install: Please download Malwarebytes' scanner to your desktop.

• Double-click mb3-setup-consumer-3.x.x.xxxx and follow the prompts to install the program.
    • Click Finish.
    • On the Dashboard, click the 'Check for Updates' button.
    • After the update completes, click the 'Scan Now' button.
    • A Threat Scan will begin. Please allow it to progress through the scanning process.
    • When the scan is complete, if there have been detections, click Quarantines Selected button to allow the program to clean what was detected.
    • In most cases, a restart will be required.
    • Wait for the prompt to restart the computer to appear, then click on Yes.

How to get logs: (Export log to save as txt)

• After the restart once you are back at your desktop, open Malwarebytes once more.
    • Click on the Reports tab > Scan Report. (if you have done more than one scan in the past, select the most recent that shows the Date and time of the scan just performed. Press View Report button.
    • Click 'Export'.
    • Click 'Text file (*.txt)'
    • In the Save File dialog box which appears, click on Desktop.
    • In the File name: box type a name for your scan log.
    • A message box named 'File Saved' should appear stating "Your file has been successfully exported".
    • Click Ok
    • Find the log on your Desktop and Attach that saved log to your next reply.

(Copy to clipboard for pasting into forum replies or tickets)

Download the right Windows bit version (32-bit or 64-bit) of RogueKiller

• Quit all running programs
    • Once done, move the executable file to your Desktop, right-click on it and select
      Download contained a malware, Windows Defender blocked [​IMG]
      Run as Administrator (for Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 users)
    • If the program is blocked, do not hesitate to try several times. If it really does not work (it could happen), rename it to winlogon.exe
    • Click on the Start Scan button in the right panel, which will bring you to another tab, and click on it again (this time it'll be in the bottom right corner)
    • Wait for the scan to complete
    • On completion, the results will be displayed. Click on the Open Report button in the bottom left corner, followed by the Open TXT button (also in the bottom left corner)
    • This will open the report in Notepad. Copy/paste its content in your next reply

FreeBooter, Jan 31, 2018
Thema:

Download contained a malware, Windows Defender blocked

1. Download contained a malware, Windows Defender blocked - Similar Threads - Download contained malware

2. Any malware that could uninstal windows defender and block win updates?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Any malware that could uninstal windows defender and block win updates?: The title says it all, my friends laptop just got its windef uninstalled and all the winupdates are blocked, I'm thinking the only solution here's a clean install, any thoughts? submitted by /u/hidden-47 [link] [comments]...
  3. I created a small program and Microsoft defender is saying that it contains malware! why ?

I created a small program and Microsoft defender is saying that it contains malware! why ?: [ATTACH] https://preview.redd.it/bufml6n3g4661.png?width=552&format=png&auto=webp&s=188b4d88bb619c4fe8217475dad9874cfde7f57f submitted by /u/TechieNikhil [link] [comments]...
  4. Windows 10 now blocks malware from disabling Microsoft Defender

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 now blocks malware from disabling Microsoft Defender: Windows 10 update is making it much harder for users to disable the Windows Defender and this is a good move on Microsoft’s part, according to the updated support documentation. By default, Windows Defender is installed on all versions and editions of Windows 10. It always...
  5. Downloads from this website are Contain Malware

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Downloads from this website are Contain Malware: I hope, you are all good when I download a software on this <Removed> then try to install the software my all files corrupted and convert into browser extension Please tell me how I resolve this problem because i have a lot of important data on my pc. [Original Title:...
  6. Block at First Sight: Windows Defender blocking malware in SECONDS!

Block at First Sight: Windows Defender blocking malware in SECONDS!: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/TeamsMe [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gptphp/block_at_first_sight_windows_defender_blocking/
  7. Windows Defender Blocking FileZilla 3.41.2 Downloads

Windows Defender Blocking FileZilla 3.41.2 Downloads: Windows Defender is continually blocking me from downloading Filezilla 3.41.2 We have quite a few users who require Filezilla installed, so this is going to cause an issue. This is a new issue for us as Defender has always allowed Filezilla to be downloaded and installed...
  8. Defender blocking file download.

Defender blocking file download.: I am unable to download photos or other files into folders unless I disable Defender Real Time Protection. I cannot properly run FreeFileSync, KeePass2, O&OSU.exe, and am unable to download photos form my Canon camera. Desperately need help!...
  9. Windows Defender is blocking a download from Lumen 5

Windows Defender is blocking a download from Lumen 5: I would like to use Lumen 5 to create videos for social media, however Windows Defender will not allow me to download them to my desktop, here is the error message. How do I get around this?[ATTACH]...
  10. windows defender blocks downloads

windows defender blocks downloads: says has virus alert avg was just uninstalled on sons computer through revo uninstaller 102996