Windows 10: download file location

Discus and support download file location in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; how do i specify the folder i want a downloaded file to be placed? 57334 Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Don Jacobs, Jul 24, 2016.

1. download file location

how do i specify the folder i want a downloaded file to be placed?

:)

Don Jacobs, Jul 24, 2016

2. E63-LOCATING DOWNLOADED FILE

The locations you mentioned are for the installed apps, not for the downloaded files. As for the default (built-in) browser, only God and Nokia know where the file you downloaded went. You're a user, so you do not get to choose where you need to save your
    downloads.

Install Opera Mini or Opera Mobile, feel the difference and the control and freedom you get. They are faster and more feature packed than the default browser.

algotechie---01, Jul 24, 2016
  3. E63-LOCATING DOWNLOADED FILE

Thank you all for your coopearation.:smileyhappy:

SnehanjanSarangi, Jul 24, 2016
  4. pyramid10 Win User

download file location

Welcome to the forums!

Each browser has its own settings to navigate to set the download folder.

Are you using Edge? I use a different browser.

pyramid10, Jul 24, 2016
  5. I am using Chrome as my browser. I just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. When I downloaded using windows 7 they would a where I wanted it saved. Does not seem to be the case with 10.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Don Jacobs, Jul 24, 2016
  6. Hi:

Yes, it would help to know which browser you are using.

I do not use Edge, but this tutorial explains the default downloads destination folder for Edge and -- if desired -- how to change it: Microsoft Edge Downloads Folder - Change in Windows 10

If you are referring to another browser, please tell us, so that we can provide the instructions for that browser.

Cheers,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Jul 24, 2016
  7. pyramid10 Win User
    There should be a hammer icon with Google Chrome to get to the settings; unless that has changed.

pyramid10, Jul 24, 2016
  8. download file location

Am not familiar with the "hammer" icon. What does it look like and where on the screen might it be.

Don Jacobs, Jul 24, 2016
  9. Browser is Google Chrome. Sorry for the omission. Don

Don Jacobs, Jul 24, 2016
  10. We'll need to wait for someone more facile with Edge to weigh in, but....

Microsoft Edge Downloads Folder - Change in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    According to the tutorial, the only way to change that now is with a regedit.

If I read the tutorial correctly, I think there *will* be a way to change the location -- perhaps through a group policy? -- after the Anniversary Update (aka "Redstone") in a few weeks.
    Perhaps someone will be able to add to this information or to correct me, if I am wrong.

Cheers,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Jul 24, 2016
  11. OOPS!

My bad -- I thought you were using Edge.
    Alas, I do not use Chrome, either.
    But I'm sure someone who does can help you designate a download folder location.

Cheers,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Jul 24, 2016
  12. snoopy51 Win User
    On you Chrome browser:

Click on the three bars icon and select Setting.
    On Settings click Show Advanced Setting.
    On Downloads section inside Advanced Setting, Check "Ask where to save each file before downloading."

snoopy51, Jul 24, 2016
  13. download file location

That does it. Thanks for the help. I knew this but I think Windows 10 was fogging my mind. Not real pleased with it as yet but hopefully it will get better.

Don Jacobs, Jul 25, 2016
  14. snoopy51 Win User
    Don:
    Welcome to Tenforums and happy computing!

snoopy51, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

download file location

1. download file location - Similar Threads - download file location

2. Cannot locate Downloads Folder in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot locate Downloads Folder in File Explorer: I have Windows 11 Home.I cannot locate the Downloads Folder in File Explorer anymore.I accidentally unpinned it.How do I get it back?I want to pin the Desktop folder and the Downloads folder actually.Thanks...
  3. Cannot locate Downloads Folder in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot locate Downloads Folder in File Explorer: I have Windows 11 Home.I cannot locate the Downloads Folder in File Explorer anymore.I accidentally unpinned it.How do I get it back?I want to pin the Desktop folder and the Downloads folder actually.Thanks...
  4. How to change target location for download file?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change target location for download file?: Windows 11. Need to change target location for download files. So easy in WIN10, but cannot find change. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-target-location-for-download-file/2c8c2220-fed8-4937-9d6f-603b7cddcbef
  5. How to change target location for download file?

How to change target location for download file?: Windows 11. Need to change target location for download files. So easy in WIN10, but cannot find change. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-target-location-for-download-file/2c8c2220-fed8-4937-9d6f-603b7cddcbef
  6. LOCATION OF DOWNLOADED FILES FROM WINDOWS UPDATE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    LOCATION OF DOWNLOADED FILES FROM WINDOWS UPDATE: Hi! I think I accidentally clicked on something while setting up my laptop when I updated to windows 11. Now, all the files from software updates keep on saving in my drive D This PC:DataD. Can u guys teach me how to change the default location of these files so that whenever...
  7. LOCATION OF DOWNLOADED FILES FROM WINDOWS UPDATE

LOCATION OF DOWNLOADED FILES FROM WINDOWS UPDATE: Hi! I think I accidentally clicked on something while setting up my laptop when I updated to windows 11. Now, all the files from software updates keep on saving in my drive D This PC:DataD. Can u guys teach me how to change the default location of these files so that whenever...
  8. Change download location.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Change download location.: Hi everyone! My C drive storage is full so I didn't have enough storage to dowload a game Sea of Thieves. Is it possible to change the location of my next downloads? I have other hard drive. Thanks, Movido de: [PT-BR]...
  9. Downloaded file not getting stored at desired location.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Downloaded file not getting stored at desired location.: Whenever I am logging in as a user and try to download and store a file at a particular location I get a message " C:\User\User1\Appdata\Local\Temp\HafrCLJ.pdf.part could not be saved , because you cannot change the contents of that folder. Change the folder properties and...
  10. Change download location

in Browsers and Email
    Change download location: Hi, I have a fresh install, dual booting with Windows 7 and I just notice that my default download location folder for Windows 10 is set to my download folder in Windows 7. How can I change it to be set to Windows 10. Hopefully screen shot can explain better . 22148