Windows 10: Download folder shows old deleted files when search for needed file

Discus and support Download folder shows old deleted files when search for needed file in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I chose not to put this in the virtualization section because I don't think this problem is VirtualBox. I'm trying to run another os on VirtualBox so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by whynow, Aug 27, 2018.

1. whynow Win User

Download folder shows old deleted files when search for needed file

I chose not to put this in the virtualization section because I don't think this problem is VirtualBox.

I'm trying to run another os on VirtualBox so I download the iso image. All my downloads are found in the downloads folder and the iso I download is shown along with a few other recently downloaded files. I get to the point in VirtualBox where I choose the iso image, hit search for iso and navigate to the downloads folder. Oddly, there are no iso files in folder and none of the recent downloads that are shown in explorer are there. Instead, the search in the downloads file through Virtualbox shows all files that had been deleted more than 24hours ago.

So basically explorer shows the proper recently downloaded files including the iso's in the downloads folders but when I look for the iso in the downloads folder using another program for use with that program the downloads folder is full of old deleted download files and no recent files including the iso's exist. Why and how would searching the downloads folder show old deleted files and not find files in that location that were just downloaded there (probably 4 files) and those files are there when searching from the computer?

User "Download folder" and system "Download folder" both contain the same data as shown by windows explorer. I'm not sharing any folders with any other os. I have no backups where the old files could have come from.

I'm using a Microsoft Windows 10 Home model Q504UAK i5-7200U @2.50GHz 12GB RAM

:)

whynow, Aug 27, 2018
  2. dark2099 Win User

Generating a .txt based file list in Windows 7

I want to be able to generate a .txt file that lists all the files and folders in a specific folder on my PC, but don't know the name of any programs that do that. Searched on google a bit and came up with this guide, but it's for XP and I can't seem to find some of the folder options to modify the .bat file. Any suggestions? Thanks

http://www.theeldergeek.com/file_list_generator.htm

EDIT: The .bat file will do what I want if it is in the folder I want to do it in, but the option I want to add is having the right click option that it shows.

dark2099, Aug 27, 2018
  3. Jetster Win User
    Show / hide files HELP..

Open folder/Organize/folder and search options/view check show hidden files

Jetster, Aug 27, 2018
  4. Download folder shows old deleted files when search for needed file

Downloaded files disappear

When you download a file through any browser, there's an option somewhere to 'Open Containing Folder.'

In Windows, to find a file you have downloaded...

• Open your personal folder by clicking the Start button and then clicking your user name at the top of the Start menu's right pane.
    • Double-click one of the following folders:
      • Downloads
      • Documents
      • Pictures
      • Videos
      • Music

If you do not see the file you are looking for, but know its file name, you can search for it by following these steps:
    To search for a file you have downloaded...

• Click the Start button
    • Type all or part of the file name into the Search box.
      The file you are looking for will appear in the list of results.

teachermark, Aug 27, 2018
Thema:

Download folder shows old deleted files when search for needed file

1. Download folder shows old deleted files when search for needed file - Similar Threads - Download folder shows

2. when we search anything in the folder, it is not showing full name of the file when file...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    when we search anything in the folder, it is not showing full name of the file when file...: when we search anything in the folder, it is not showing full name of the file when file name is too long, and we can't adjust the description column size also....
  3. when we search anything in the folder, it is not showing full name of the file when file...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    when we search anything in the folder, it is not showing full name of the file when file...: when we search anything in the folder, it is not showing full name of the file when file name is too long, and we can't adjust the description column size also....
  4. Old Pictures not showing in File Explorer search

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old Pictures not showing in File Explorer search: So when i use the file explorer search function, sometimes it just doesnt show old pictures and im not sure why. It started doing this a few months ago but before that it worked fine. Any idea how to fix this?...
  5. Deleted file showing in search in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleted file showing in search in File Explorer: Hi all,I am running Win 10, 64 bit home, latest update. I have deleted a large number of files and also emptied the recycle bin. They hav e been deleted from my backup drives.However, when I run a search in File Explorer for one of those files, it shows in the search but will...
  6. Deleted file showing in search in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleted file showing in search in File Explorer: Hi all,I am running Win 10, 64 bit home, latest update. I have deleted a large number of files and also emptied the recycle bin. They hav e been deleted from my backup drives.However, when I run a search in File Explorer for one of those files, it shows in the search but will...
  7. Deleted file showing in search in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Storage Sense is not deleting old files in the Downloads folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Storage Sense is not deleting old files in the Downloads folder: Here are my settings for Storage Sense. However I have waited for 2 days now and files older than 1 day are still in the recycle bin (see below). [ATTACH] Downloads folder: [ATTACH] The files can be deleted manually and are also deleted when running storage sense...
  9. Folder "Search" not deleting old file names

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder "Search" not deleting old file names: For some reason my computer isn't deleting old file names. Example: I have a picture named "Bob 1.0". I then change the name to "Bob 2.0". I then move that picture from Folder 1A to Folder 2B. When I do a search for "Bob" I get three results: I get "Bob 1.0", "Bob 2.0" in...
  10. Old files not showing up in Windows Search

in Cortana
    Old files not showing up in Windows Search: Hello everyone! Recently I have bought a new SSD drive and I decided not to clone the old drive, but to install a new system (Windows 10). Everything is fine, except that when I try to use Windows Search for old files that are on my other two drives they don't appear (also...