Windows 10: Download folder shows old deleted files when search for needed file

Discus and support Download folder shows old deleted files when search for needed file in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I chose not to put this in the virtualization section because I don't think this problem is VirtualBox. I'm trying to run another os on VirtualBox so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by whynow, Aug 27, 2018.

1. whynow Win User

Download folder shows old deleted files when search for needed file

I chose not to put this in the virtualization section because I don't think this problem is VirtualBox.

I'm trying to run another os on VirtualBox so I download the iso image. All my downloads are found in the downloads folder and the iso I download is shown along with a few other recently downloaded files. I get to the point in VirtualBox where I choose the iso image, hit search for iso and navigate to the downloads folder. Oddly, there are no iso files in folder and none of the recent downloads that are shown in explorer are there. Instead, the search in the downloads file through Virtualbox shows all files that had been deleted more than 24hours ago.

So basically explorer shows the proper recently downloaded files including the iso's in the downloads folders but when I look for the iso in the downloads folder using another program for use with that program the downloads folder is full of old deleted download files and no recent files including the iso's exist. Why and how would searching the downloads folder show old deleted files and not find files in that location that were just downloaded there (probably 4 files) and those files are there when searching from the computer?

User "Download folder" and system "Download folder" both contain the same data as shown by windows explorer. I'm not sharing any folders with any other os. I have no backups where the old files could have come from.

I'm using a Microsoft Windows 10 Home model Q504UAK i5-7200U @2.50GHz 12GB RAM

:)

whynow, Aug 27, 2018
  2. dark2099 Win User

Generating a .txt based file list in Windows 7

I want to be able to generate a .txt file that lists all the files and folders in a specific folder on my PC, but don't know the name of any programs that do that. Searched on google a bit and came up with this guide, but it's for XP and I can't seem to find some of the folder options to modify the .bat file. Any suggestions? Thanks

http://www.theeldergeek.com/file_list_generator.htm

EDIT: The .bat file will do what I want if it is in the folder I want to do it in, but the option I want to add is having the right click option that it shows.

dark2099, Aug 27, 2018
  3. Jetster Win User
    Show / hide files HELP..

Open folder/Organize/folder and search options/view check show hidden files

Jetster, Aug 27, 2018
  4. teachermark Win User

Downloaded files disappear

When you download a file through any browser, there's an option somewhere to 'Open Containing Folder.'

In Windows, to find a file you have downloaded...

• Open your personal folder by clicking the Start button and then clicking your user name at the top of the Start menu's right pane.
    • Double-click one of the following folders:
      • Downloads
      • Documents
      • Pictures
      • Videos
      • Music

If you do not see the file you are looking for, but know its file name, you can search for it by following these steps:
    To search for a file you have downloaded...

• Click the Start button
    • Type all or part of the file name into the Search box.
      The file you are looking for will appear in the list of results.

teachermark, Aug 27, 2018
Thema:

1. Download folder shows old deleted files when search for needed file - Similar Threads - Download folder shows

2. Deleting Windows Old Files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Deleting Windows Old Files: My Tablet just updated to Version 1803 Build 17134.81 As strange as it sounds, Windows Disk Cleanup says I have 11.5 GIGS! of "Old Windows Installation." Is this safe to delete/remove? 111537
  3. Searching for files and folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Searching for files and folders: I seem to remember that in Windows 8 and 8.1, if I searched for a file but didn't remember the exact name of the file, I could type part of the name and the file would be found. But in Windows 10, if I don't type the whole name, and spell it correctly, it just doesn't find...
  4. How to delete old windows file/folder

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to delete old windows file/folder: Hi, I just upgraded my Windows 8 OS to Windows 10 and it has left : Old.windows folder with many included files on my Harddrive. I have already backed up and transferred all the files I wanted to keep from that old version and wish to delete that file and all that is...
  5. Search only showing files when search is filtered

in Windows 10 Support
    Search only showing files when search is filtered: Hi everyone, I'm running a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro on an XPS 13. I was convinced that search was broken, but it turns out my files WOULD show if I provided a filter. For example: Hit Windows key and type "Beatles" and I would only see suggested web searches and...
  6. Files deleted on old disk

in Windows 10 Support
    Files deleted on old disk: Hi All, Long time last visit 18 Aug 2015 23:19 Slartybart Re installing 4 tb drive..... For those that remember...I took out the 1 tb drive from my HP pavilion 23 that was running windows 10 it was fully working apart from not a lot of room left due to mainly photos,...
  7. Unable to delete files when searching in explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to delete files when searching in explorer: I cannot seem to delete files when I'm doing a regular search in windows. I can go to any folder and delete files, but I when I see the same files in a search result, pressing del does nothing and when I right click, I have no option to delete them like I do when I'm just...
  8. Search Files and Folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Search Files and Folders: In previous versions of Windows, one could press the start button and at the bottom of the column there was a blank space where you could enter a filename and locate it on the hard drive. I can't find this tool on Windows 10. Is it there? Peter 69103
  9. searching for files and folders

in Windows 10 Support
    searching for files and folders: I seem to remember that in Windows 8 and 8.1, if I searched for a file but didn't remember the exact name of the file, I could type part of the name and the file would be found. But in Windows 10, if I don't type the whole name, and spell it correctly, it just doesn't find...
  10. Folders and files that will not delete

in Windows 10 Support
    Folders and files that will not delete: I recently deleted some mp3 files and folders, then when I emptied the Recycle Bin I inadvertently answered "no" to the "are you sure you want to delete these files" question. Now they are sitting on my recent files / frequent folders page and will not delete again. When you...