Windows 10: Download folder takes an age to load

Discus and support Download folder takes an age to load in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Every other folder in File Explorer opens virtually immediately to show all contents but why does the Download folder have to reload the contents,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by WightWalker, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Download folder takes an age to load

Every other folder in File Explorer opens virtually immediately to show all contents but why does the Download folder have to reload the contents, which takes quite some time, the first time the folder is accessed after switching on.

Download folder takes an age to load [​IMG]

:)

WightWalker, Jul 13, 2015

2. Slow Green progress bar in File Explorer - possible solution

My Downloads folder was taking ages to load, even though I have deleted just about everything.

Decided to try changing Properties, right click on the Download folder, select Properties/Personalise. I just changed the "Optimise this file for" from videos to documents and now Downloads appears instantly.

Hope this helps!

ScienceRetreat, Jul 13, 2015
  3. Microsoft 640 phone not playing video

Hi,

my windows phone 640 is not playing videos recently purchased from the xbox store. I was able to purchase and download. Upon download, it takes an age to load then errors with format not supported!

I connected phone to computer, in the sd card folder, video, xbox, there are no files.

thanks for

your help Abi

AbiHawkins, Jul 13, 2015
  4. besb Win User

Download folder takes an age to load

I have not checked this yet but I guess it is checking whether to sync with one-drive
    if using an ms account.

5. Try removing the 'global' downloads folder from quick access and replace it with a link that points at your Downloads folder.

C:\Users\\Downloads versus "This PC > Downloads"

It's essentialy the same folder, but there seems to be a lag - indexing is scanning the 'global' downloads folder every time. You might try adding the 'global' downloads folder to the index - simple way -> create a new Library called Downloads and add your Downloads folder to the new Library

Please report your experience to MS

Slartybart, Jul 13, 2015
  6. Ztruker Win User
    How do you do this?

Ztruker, Jul 14, 2015
  7. Ztruker Win User
    Some fixes that help some times:

Disable Windows Search:
    Open a Run box and enter services.msc, press Enter.
    Scroll down to Windows Search and double click on it.
    Click on Stop then set Startup to Disabled.
    Slow Explorer progress bar on large folder

Ztruker, Jul 14, 2015
  8. Download folder takes an age to load

Right click on Downloads the Quick Access list in the navigator pane of File Explorer,
    Select Unpin from Quick Access

Navigate to your User Profile
    (ex: C:\User\)
    Right Click your Downloads folder
    Select Pin to Quick access

Side notes:

• I've also replaced all of the pinned user folders in the Taskbar File Explorer with Libraries. I really like the organizational power of of Libraries, so I've been using them exclusively since they were introduced.

• I've found that items pinned to File Explorer also show up in Quick access - I fed MS because I believe the two should be maintained as separate lists. There is either a bug in quick access or there is a limit on items pinned there. I have about 15 things pinned to Explorer, but only eight show up in quick access.

Slartybart, Jul 14, 2015
  9. After several day, the Download folder contents now seem to display just the same as any other folder, so don't know what was going on - can't believe that Windows 'learns' the contents so that if there's no change it just displays the last search.

UPDATE: Switched PC off & back on after a couple hours. Download folder contents taking ages to show. The green progress bar reaches the end with still no folder contents shown, then repeats process for second time before eventually displaying folder contents.

Will try suggestions above but surely this is basic stuff, not rocket science!

WightWalker, Jul 14, 2015
  10. Boozad Win User
    I'm not sure if this is relevant but I've noticed that some of my HDDs power down when not being used, the power light for the relevant bay in my Icy Docks goes out suggesting the drives are powered down and folder contents or that drive/s take a while to show as the drive powers back up again. This doesn't happen when booted into Windows 7. I'm wondering if 10 powers down drives that aren't currently in use? That obviously wouldn't make sense if your Downloads folder is on your C: drive.

Boozad, Jul 14, 2015
  11. At first I thought that you might be onto something until I realised that my other partitions are also on the same HD & these can be read instantaneously.

It isn't consistent, sometimes there is no delay is accessing the Download partition after switch on & other times there is.

WightWalker, Jul 14, 2015
  12. The Download Folder is part of my Archive Partition.

CD Burn & Temp can be accessed immediately whereas the Download Folder takes in excess of a minute to display contents.

Still haven't resolved this issue yet.

WightWalker, Jul 15, 2015
  13. Elderwand Win User

Elderwand, Nov 27, 2015
  14. vjacobie Win User
    Hey there WightWalker,

Not sure if you have found your solution yet, but I was struggling with this particular issue since installation of Windows 10. A number of my folders took forever to sort by Date, size or anything except the standard Windows Explorer Display.
    Luckily, there is an exact solution that works like a charm!!
    Step 1: Open Explorer
    Step 2: Go to the folder that you have issues with (but don't go into the folder)
    Step 3: Right click on the folder, and select Properties
    Step 4: Click on the "Customize" tab
    Step 5: Under the "Optimize this folder for:" drop down, change this to "General Items"
    Step 6: Tick the box that says include subfolders
    Step 7: Click Apply and OK
    Step 8: Done, move on to your next problem folder and repeat *Smile

vjacobie, Jun 20, 2016
  15. bobkn Win User
    For no obvious reason, my downloads folder was optimized for "pictures". That caused it to open slowly, even if there were no pictures in it. Setting it to "general" fixed it.

bobkn, Jun 20, 2016
Thema:

1. Download folder takes an age to load - Similar Threads - Download folder takes

2. WSL does not load and takes ages

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WSL does not load and takes ages: Hi I have been using WSL from more than an year however from last few weeks my WSL does not launch . I am using the Microsoft Terminal to launch . I have tried updating WSL and restarting windows several times but no luck . Can anyone please help how to fix it ? I dont want...
  3. WSL does not load and takes ages

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    WSL does not load and takes ages: Hi I have been using WSL from more than an year however from last few weeks my WSL does not launch . I am using the Microsoft Terminal to launch . I have tried updating WSL and restarting windows several times but no luck . Can anyone please help how to fix it ? I dont want...
  4. Downloads folder taking forever to load

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Downloads folder taking forever to load: Hello, I've been having a problem with my downloads folder ever since I got a new laptop.I've tried everything, I optimized it for general items, put it on read only, and the problem still occurs over and over....
  5. Downloads folder taking forever to load

Downloads folder taking forever to load: Hello, I've been having a problem with my downloads folder ever since I got a new laptop.I've tried everything, I optimized it for general items, put it on read only, and the problem still occurs over and over....
  6. Downloads folder taking forever to load

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Photos taking ages to download

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Photos taking ages to download: While on the internet, I try to save an image by right-clicking on it. When the menu appears, I left-click "save image as". Then it takes about 6 seconds for the image to download. While it's downloading my browser freezes and stops freezing when the image has downloaded. It...
  8. Photos taking ages to download

Photos taking ages to download: While on the internet, I try to save an image by right-clicking on it. When the menu appears, I left-click "save image as". Then it takes about 6 seconds for the image to download. While it's downloading my browser freezes and stops freezing when the image has downloaded. It...
  9. Photos taking ages to download

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  10. Outlook takes ages to load

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook takes ages to load: Hi all. Ever since I synced my email I have had a problem with all Microsoft sites taking ages to load. Can someone tell my what I can do about this? thanks 25624