Windows 10: Download Through Smartphone Hotspot

Discus and support Download Through Smartphone Hotspot in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; For all the windows experts, something crazy happened to me yesterday! I got around 300$ of data usage expense on my mobile within minutes, I turned... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by hajjash, Oct 30, 2016.

1. hajjash Win User

Download Through Smartphone Hotspot

For all the windows experts, something crazy happened to me yesterday!

I got around 300$ of data usage expense on my mobile within minutes, I turned on the hotspot on my mobile and connected my laptop to it, was doing some regular emails and light stuff, all the sudden my internet connected on my mobile turned off because I consumed all my allowance data and even more, it seems windows downloaded about 1.5 GB through the network with out me knowing so, and it was a 4G network so it happened very fast!

is there a way to know exactly what was downloaded in that period?! Crazy!

thank you.

:)

hajjash, Oct 30, 2016

2. windows mobile hotspot is on but when connecting the hostpot from my smartphone it dosent conncet

windows mobile hotspot is on but when connecting the hostpot from my smartphone it dosent conncet

Vibhansh Agrawal, Oct 30, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Anniversary cant establish a Wi-Fi hotspot

That is not the way it is expected to work .

I mean : Internet comes from a cable into the laptop and the laptop servers as a mobile hot spot !

Why do I have to buy a mobile Internet and not to connect the smartphone directly !? No point ! If I have a mobile Internet , I will connect the smartphone directly to it . No need of laptop !

Also every smartphone can work as a mobile hotspot ! Why not Windows 10 ?

Edit : We had a cheap smartphone Alcatel Pop C3 . I used to connect it to the laptop over USB . the laptop has Windows 10 . Then turned the Alcatel into a mobile hotspot . And it worked great ! We gave that phone to a relative .

I dont buy a Wi-Fi router because I dont want radiation in the room . Just occasionally to connect smartphones to Internet over Wi-Fi

leopard_jumps, Oct 30, 2016
  4. Adalwar Win User

HI there,
    Look in Update History, there is the Date when Updates were installed.
    Maybe there is a Install Log on System.
    But the best chance will be the bill of your ISP. It would contain the IP´s and the Data Volume downloaded.
    You can use the "Whois" search Web Services to find out to whom those IP´s belong.
    I would send the Bill to MS for they pay it.
    The "Set as Metered Connection" should be set to "ON" as Default, to prevent such disaster.

Adalwar, Oct 30, 2016
  5. bro67 Win User
    If you did not set Windows to make the wifi to use a metered connection, yes it will start downloading any updates.

bro67, Oct 30, 2016
  6. Adalwar Win User
    even setting as "Metered Connection", in same situations, like Resetting Network, it will revert back to Default.
    So, it is advisable for people that have metered connections to disable Windows Update, to gain some control on Windows Updates.
    run>services.msc, roll down to "Windows Update" and set it to "Disabled".

Adalwar, Oct 31, 2016
  7. bro67 Win User
    You have to tell Windows what the limits are. Otherwise it is unlimited.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Download Through Smartphone Hotspot - Similar Threads - Download Through Smartphone

2. Smartphone hotspot stopped working properly with Win 11 Laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Smartphone hotspot stopped working properly with Win 11 Laptop: I've connected my Win 11 laptop to my smartphone Android hotspot without any issues until recently. Whenever I try now, it usually fails to connect with the error message "Unable to connect to this network" popping up. In the rare event it manages to connect, the speed is...
  3. Smartphone hotspot stopped working properly with Win 11 Laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Smartphone hotspot stopped working properly with Win 11 Laptop: I've connected my Win 11 laptop to my smartphone Android hotspot without any issues until recently. Whenever I try now, it usually fails to connect with the error message "Unable to connect to this network" popping up. In the rare event it manages to connect, the speed is...
  4. connecting smartphone

in Windows 10 Gaming
    connecting smartphone: Hello.I noticed the last d ays that when connecting via usb my smarpthone to laptop appears the window in the next screenshot.What is it?Did not appear at the past until now.Ι change some setting by mistake?How can stop it?...
  5. connecting smartphone

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    connecting smartphone: Hello.I noticed the last d ays that when connecting via usb my smarpthone to laptop appears the window in the next screenshot.What is it?Did not appear at the past until now.Ι change some setting by mistake?How can stop it?...
  6. Connected to smartphone's mobile hotspot and secured, but no internet access.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Connected to smartphone's mobile hotspot and secured, but no internet access.: Hello there, people! I have this problem right now in which my Acer Nitro 5 connects to my smartphone's mobile hotspot and is secured, but it provides no internet access. However, I am able to connect to my campus's wifi just fine, only my smartphone's mobile hotspot is...
  7. Mobile Hotspot from Smartphone not showing in available networks

Mobile Hotspot from Smartphone not showing in available networks: I am broadcasting a mobile data hotspot from my smartphone and it is not showing in my windows 10 PC, available wifi networks. My friend, with his phone, has successfully connected to my mobile hotspot, so I don't think this is an issue with the source, rather, the issue is...
  8. WIndows 10 crashes (blue screen) when connected to my Smartphone hotspot

WIndows 10 crashes (blue screen) when connected to my Smartphone hotspot: This is a problem that arises to many people I know too. The laptop works properly with every possible WiFi network, BUT when I have no WiFI available, or when the available WiFi has too many restrictions on their firewall I have to use my smartphone as a hotspot. When I do...
  9. hotspot through bluetooth

hotspot through bluetooth: How do I connect my iPhone to my windows 10 pro's hotspot by Bluetooth? It sees the device when looking in the Bluetooth section but doesn't see it in the hotspot area....
  10. MOBILE HOTSPOT THROUGH BLUETOOTH

MOBILE HOTSPOT THROUGH BLUETOOTH: In Win 10 April 2018 version there is an option to create mobile hotspot from pc to other devices through Bluetooth. How does it work? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/mobile-hotspot-through-bluetooth/edd19eac-c57f-4abc-9006-d4a6b61aceaf