Windows 10: Enable or Disable Enhanced PINs for BitLocker Startup in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable Enhanced PINs for BitLocker Startup in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Enhanced PINs for BitLocker Startup in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Enhanced PINs for BitLocker Startup in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enable or Disable Enhanced PINs for BitLocker Startup in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable Enhanced PINs for BitLocker Startup in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Enhanced PINs for BitLocker Startup in Windows 10

Enable or Disable Enhanced PINs for BitLocker Startup in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information When you TPM, you can choose to unlock the OS drive at startup with a PIN.

The turn on BitLocker for the OS drive.

If you enable this policy setting, all new BitLocker startup PINs set will be enhanced PINs.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable if enhanced startup PINs are used with BitLocker in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable enhanced PINs for BitLocker startup.

Note editions.

Warning Not all computers may support enhanced PINs in the pre-boot environment. It is strongly recommended that users perform a system check during BitLocker setup to verify that enhanced PIN characters can be used.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Enhanced PINs for BitLocker Startup in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Enhanced PINs for BitLocker Startup using a REG file

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable Enhanced PINs for BitLocker Startup in Local Group Policy Editor
    1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\BitLocker Drive Encryption\Operating System Drives

3. In the right pane of Operating System Drives in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Allow enhanced PINs for startup policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Enhanced PINs for BitLocker Startup
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

6. To Disable Enhanced PINs for BitLocker Startup
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

NOTE: Not Configured is the default setting.

7. When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable Enhanced PINs for BitLocker Startup using a REG file

Note The .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\FVE

UseEnhancedPin DWORD

(delete) = Disable
    1 = Enable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Enhanced PINs for BitLocker Startup
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_enhanced_PINs_for_startup_with_BitLocker.reg

Download

3. To Disable Enhanced PINs for BitLocker Startup
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_enhanced_PINs_for_startup_with_BitLocker.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Feb 18, 2016

2. BitLocker won't enable on Windows 10 after update on Aug 9

Hi Brenda,

I would be happy to assist you.

Before I assist you I would like to know the information below,

• Do you have a Windows 10 copy of the operating system?

I suggest you check whether the Bit locker is ON or OFF using the steps below.

Can you verify if BitLocker is enabled or disabled on your device? You can Enable/disable BitLocker by going to Desktop and follow these steps:

• Swipe Right to Left to bring up the Charm.

• Choose Settings.

• Choose Control Panel.

• Select BitLocker Drive Encryption.

• Verify whether BitLocker is on or off on each device.
    Also I suggest you to enable the WinRE so that you can enter the bit locker key and proceed.

When WinRE is disabled, you cannot enable BitLocker, and you receive an error message that resembles the following.

This PC doesn't support entering a BitLocker recovery password during startup. Ask your administrator to configure Windows Recovery Environment so that you can use BitLocker.

The solution would be to manually enable the windows recovery environment:

• Copying the winre.wim file from c:\windows\system32\recovery\ to a folder on a recovery partition. (The partition need to have a drive letter at this point.)

• Set the RE Image path. Example: reagentc /setreimage /path r:\recovery\windowsre

• Enable RE with command: reagentc /enable

• (You may remove the drive letter for the recovery partition after you have done this.)

• Bit locker will be enabled.
    If the issue still persists, suggest you to post your query on the below link.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831507(v=ws.11).aspx

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Thank you.

Vidyashree_C, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Bitlocker

Bitlocker uses PIN only but there is a feature called enhanced PIN which allows you to enter chracaters also.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/96833-enabl...

Disclaimer - This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product
    advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Vijay_Verma, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Enable or Disable Enhanced PINs for BitLocker Startup in Windows 10

CANNOT USE ENHANCED BITLOCKER PIN

Hello,

I am having problem with creating complex passwords while activating BitLocker drive encryption at win10.

It only lets me to put numeric password but I want to use complex password with characters, letters and symbols.

I already enabled

- "System cryptography: Use FIPS compliant algorithms for encryption, hashing, and signing”

- "Choose drive encryption method and cipher strength"

- "Allow Enhanced PINs For Startup"

policies before I start encryption but nothing changed. Is there a way to use complex passwords?

Emre.Bayram, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Bitlocker Blank blue screen at PIN screen

Our organization requires Laptops to be Encrypted with a PIN #. One of our Laptops is giving me trouble. I have Bitlocker turned on and fully encrypted and have require Startup PIN with TPM in the Require additional authentication at startup in GPEDIT. I also have the Enable use of Bitlocker Authentication Requiring preboot Keyboard input on Slates enabled. When turning on the Laptop Bitlocker comes up with the light blue screen where you enter the PIN but the screen is blank. It doesn't say Bitlocker or have a box to enter the PIN #. Now I can just type the pin # and press enter and it works and loads windows as normal. I obviously can't give this Laptop to a user like this.

Anybody have any suggestions as to a resolution to this issue.
    Thank You.

drew22to375, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Clone Bitlocker enable drive to SSD

Keitaro

My name is Andre Da Costa; an Independent Consultant, Windows Insider MVP and Windows & Devices for IT MVP. I'm here to help you with your problem.

Heed the advice of the software, you must disable BitLocker before cloning. This is highly recommend if you ever want to get access to the drive.

There is nothing wrong with having to re-enable it after restoring the clone.

Step 1: disable BitLocker.

Step 2: clone drive

Step 3: restore the cloned image to the new drive.

Step 4: Re-Enable BitLocker.

Andre for Directly, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Enable or Disable Enhanced PINs for BitLocker Startup in Windows 10

1. Enable or Disable Enhanced PINs for BitLocker Startup in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Enhanced

2. windows 10 not disabling password/pin on startup?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    windows 10 not disabling password/pin on startup?: I used NetPlWiz to uncheck 'password required' and applied it entering my password, but now it still asks for pin/password and in addition shows a second account (with a white background instead of my account pic) but it has the same name, when I select it, it asks me to put...
  3. How to enable or disable Enhanced PINs for BitLocker Startup in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to enable or disable Enhanced PINs for BitLocker Startup in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Enhanced startup PINs for BitLocker permits the use of characters including uppercase and lowercase letters, symbols, numbers, and spaces. This policy setting is applied when you turn on BitLocker for the OS drive. In this post, we will show you [...] This...
  4. Enable or Disable PIN Reset at Sign-in in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable PIN Reset at Sign-in in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable PIN Reset at Sign-in in Windows 10 [img] Information PIN (Personal Identification Number). You can use this PIN to sign in to Windows, apps, and services. One important difference between a password and a Hello PIN is that the PIN is tied to...
  5. Enable or Disable Standard Users Changing BitLocker PIN or Password

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Standard Users Changing BitLocker PIN or Password: How to: Enable or Disable Standard Users Changing BitLocker PIN or Password How to Enable or Disable Standard Users from Changing BitLocker PIN or Password in Windows 10 [img] Information BitLocker Drive Encryption is a data protection feature that integrates with the...
  6. Change BitLocker Startup PIN in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change BitLocker Startup PIN in Windows 10: How to: Change BitLocker Startup PIN in Windows 10 How to Change BitLocker Startup PIN in Windows 10 [img] Information BitLocker Drive Encryption is a data protection feature that integrates with the operating system and addresses the threats of data theft or exposure...
  7. Enable or Disable Startup Delay in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Startup Delay in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Startup Delay in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Delay of Running Startup Apps in Windows 10 signs in to Windows. Startup items can be added by either the programs or drivers installed, or manually by you. By default, Windows will run...
  8. Enable or Disable PIN History in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable PIN History in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable PIN History in Windows 10 [img] Information PIN (Personal Identification Number). You can use this PIN to sign in to Windows, apps, and services. One important difference between a password and a Hello PIN is that the PIN is tied to the...
  9. Enable or Disable PIN Expiration in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable PIN Expiration in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable PIN Expiration in Windows 10 [img] Information PIN (Personal Identification Number). You can use this PIN to sign in to Windows, apps, and services. One important difference between a password and a Hello PIN is that the PIN is tied to the...
  10. Enable or Disable Require Digits for PIN in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Require Digits for PIN in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Require Digits for PIN in Windows 10 [img] Information PIN (Personal Identification Number). You can use this PIN to sign in to Windows, apps, and services. One important difference between a password and a Hello PIN is that the PIN is tied to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Enable or Disable Enhanced PINs for BitLocker Startup using a REG