Windows 10: Downloaded documents opening in a wrong file

Discus and support Downloaded documents opening in a wrong file in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Greetings tenforums I've recently updated to windows 10 and I'm encountering a problem with downloaded word documents opening in Wordpad instead of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Copycat, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Copycat Win User

Downloaded documents opening in a wrong file

Greetings tenforums

I've recently updated to windows 10 and I'm encountering a problem with downloaded word documents opening in Wordpad instead of Microsoft word.

A few details: The documents in the site in downloading from has always used microsoft word documents, which I've always been able to download as such in the past. I use Office 2003, I know it's old, but it has always worked until now.

When I download the document it's done in wordpad, which can't see all the stuff in the document that microsoft word can. Opening the wordpad with microsoft word only make the document unreadable with alot of weird and random characters.

Changing file association through the "Default apps" does not work for me either as the downloaded document at ones just goes to the problem mentioned above. Again, these documents were readable by my microsoft word when I ran it on win7.

Hoping someone can help me. Thank you for your time.

:)

Copycat, Nov 21, 2016
  2. kml2 Win User

email attachment

I am reading on the MS How-to site:

How do I download an attachment from an email?

In the email, press the attached file . You should see an indicator that the file is downloading.

When the file has finished downloading, press it to open it and then do one of the following:

• If it's a picture, press and hold the picture and then press Save to phone. The picture will be saved to the Saved Pictures album.

• If it's a document, press More , press Save as, enter a name for the document and then press
        Save. The document will be saved to the Office hub.

Now, my question is that I don't see the MORE button show up when I have my document opened. It views the document in full screen and there is nothing to press. Is there something wrong with my phone? (Samsung focus)

3. Kate49z Win User
    how do I change downloads in windows 10 to open in another program

When I download a document, specifically a .dta file, why is windows 10 opening it in a default word unreadable document. How to change the default program a document opens in. Specifically, how to default a .dta file download in stata.

Kate49z, Nov 21, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hello, which particular extension does your document have which you are trying to open?
    E.g. txt, rtf, doc, docx ......

Here's how to set a default in Windows:
    Default Apps - Choose in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Note: you cannot do this from within a program.

You can go here, for example:

Downloaded documents opening in a wrong file [​IMG]

to see exactly what each extension opens with- and yo can change each one individually there too (but this is not the best way - see the Tutorial for how to assign a program to open all file types it can open).

Note too Office 2003 will not open docx files without also installing the appropriate MS Office compatibility pack, which you can find easily by searching.

dalchina, Nov 21, 2016
Thema:

1. Downloaded documents opening in a wrong file - Similar Threads - Downloaded documents opening

2. Files Downloading with the Wrong Extension

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files Downloading with the Wrong Extension: Whenever I download .zip files, they get saved as .bbz that is the extension that goes with the BrailleBlaster program I use for Braille transcription. It's not a huge issue because I can just change the extension in the downloads folder, and it works fine, but it's annoying...
  3. Downloaded document available in File Explorer, but can't be opened in the browser

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Downloaded document available in File Explorer, but can't be opened in the browser: Hello,I am currently having an issue with a Windows 10 computer that can start downloads through a browser, but the download is never able to be opened or saved through it. If I check the actual File Explorer Downloads folder, the document is there, indicating that the...
  4. Downloaded document available in File Explorer, but can't be opened in the browser

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Downloaded document available in File Explorer, but can't be opened in the browser: Hello,I am currently having an issue with a Windows 10 computer that can start downloads through a browser, but the download is never able to be opened or saved through it. If I check the actual File Explorer Downloads folder, the document is there, indicating that the...
  5. Downloaded document available in File Explorer, but can't be opened in the browser

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. "Open with" always open the wrong file

"Open with" always open the wrong file: Hello all, I have problems with my "Open With" option in the right-click menu. It always opens the wrong file. Not the wrong program but wrong file. If I right click any files, e.g. "D:/123.c" , choose "Open With", then choose Notepad, it will always open the file...
  7. files not opening in documents

files not opening in documents: None of my docs XLS etc files are connected tot he app and I cannot open them - what do I do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/files-not-opening-in-documents/2fa36e32-22d9-40d8-a6d8-f86294dbe757
  8. Problem with opening any documents or downloaded files

Problem with opening any documents or downloaded files: I am running Windows 10 and have done all the updates per schedule. I accessed an Excel file on June 7th, turned the computer off as we were gone for 2 days and now when I got back on June 9th, I get an error message on all document files and downloaded files - "Windows...
  9. Files downloading as the wrong type of file.

Files downloading as the wrong type of file.: I am trying to download .rar files they are mods for a game, The Sims to be specific and when they download, they become photoshop files. I cannot open them in photoshop either, and I want them to stop downloading as photoshop files. They're still .rar files technically, but...
  10. Unable to open documents in the DOWNLOADS and DOCUMENTS folders

Unable to open documents in the DOWNLOADS and DOCUMENTS folders: Since the past two days, after having downloaded a few documents, I am unable to open them. When I right click to open, it just gets stuck and I have to close it. I have tried moving the folder onto my desktop but once I open that and try to open a document inside, it just...