Windows 10: Downloading and saving Windows updates

Discus and support Downloading and saving Windows updates in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have two laptops operating on rather slow internet connections. I find that downloading the regular Windows updates are a necessary pain in the neck.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by garyasta, Oct 4, 2016.

1. garyasta Win User

Downloading and saving Windows updates

I have two laptops operating on rather slow internet connections. I find that downloading the regular Windows updates are a necessary pain in the neck.

As I have two machines, this is a double pain.

Is it possible to download and save the update once so that the both laptops can be updated from the single download?

:)

garyasta, Oct 4, 2016

2. downloading music and saving it

Ok people I am wanting to download music using my lumia 800 and save it to my phone am woundering which app will be best to use

bigbull---01, Oct 4, 2016
  3. musica31 Win User
    musica31, Oct 4, 2016
  4. Bree New Member

Two ways, one automatic, the other manual. Automatic is the preferred method because it will only download those parts of each cumulative update that are new since the last update. The manual method downloads the whole of the cumulative update each time. With your slow connection that's probably going to be no less painful for you.

Automatic

Go to Settings - Update & Security - Windows update - Advanced options - Choose how updates are delivered
    Set both PCs to...

Downloading and saving Windows updates [​IMG]

Manual

Set both PCs to 'Metred connection' . This will still allow them to check for updates, but stop them downloading them. Either check for updates yourself, or wait for windows to notify you an update is waiting but can't be downloaded over a metered conection.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html

When you know an update is waiting, look up its KB number in Settings - Update & Security then follow the instructions here to download it direct from the Microsoft Update Catalog.
    http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/do...g-any-browser/

Bree, Oct 4, 2016
  5. garyasta Win User
    Hi Guys
    Thanks for the replies.
    Because of the data cap situation, both laptops have the "metered connection" switched on and we check manually for any updates using the "check for updates" process.
    My enquiry relates to the ability to download the update once to a file and then use that file to update both laptops individually at different times.
    From the replies, I gather that it is possible to get a cumulative (larger) file from MS that includes all the previous updates, whereas using the laptop to select the update, downloads an update on changes specifically for that machine.
    Both laptops are meant to be at the same stage of platform capability.
    TKS

garyasta, Oct 5, 2016
  6. EdTittel Win User
    You can search for updates by their related KB article name (e.g. KB3194496 has been popular lately: the most recent cumulative update). You will usually be able to find downloads for these updates in the Microsoft Update Catalog. In this case, other links are necessary, to wit:
    Download 32-bit
    Download 64-bit
    HTH,
    --Ed--
    Please refer to this article on how to install cab files.

EdTittel, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Downloading and saving Windows updates - Similar Threads - Downloading saving updates

2. Download files - Save As

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Download files - Save As: When I attempt to download a PDF file from a court website, the file Save As Type shows All Files *.* and there are no other choices in the drop down to change the file type to a PDF. When I go ahead and save the file type as All Files *.* I receive "Failed-Network Error"...
  3. Download files - Save As

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Download files - Save As: When I attempt to download a PDF file from a court website, the file Save As Type shows All Files *.* and there are no other choices in the drop down to change the file type to a PDF. When I go ahead and save the file type as All Files *.* I receive "Failed-Network Error"...
  4. Download attachments to save

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Download attachments to save: I think I've proably clicked on somthing which has caused me not to be able to downlaod and save attachments from an eamil, I can only open it, and I need to be able to download and save so I can send as an attachment. There is also another problem I have, is that when I want...
  5. Download attachments to save

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Download attachments to save: I think I've proably clicked on somthing which has caused me not to be able to downlaod and save attachments from an eamil, I can only open it, and I need to be able to download and save so I can send as an attachment. There is also another problem I have, is that when I want...
  6. downloads are not being saved

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    downloads are not being saved: Message from Windows 10: C:\Users\name\Downloads is unavailable. I have made no changes to anything on my computer but suddenly I am unable to access anything I saved to downloads.The above message appears or a message stating: file could not be found.Everything was working...
  7. Latest Windows 10 update broke downloading and saving files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Latest Windows 10 update broke downloading and saving files: I updated Windows 10 to the latest version. Doing so, it broke the ability to save files like in VEGAS, notepad, and download any files from the internet. Since this was more than 10 days ago, I can't rollback anymore. I would have reported this through the feed back hub but...
  8. saving downloaded files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    saving downloaded files: I am trying to save files to a folder and I get an error message saying it can not find the file. I am trying to save the file not find it. Had this problem before...
  9. Save me from Re-downloading the Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Save me from Re-downloading the Windows 10 update: I downloaded the 2.7 GB Windows 10 update. After which I was required to restart the PC. On restarting I am again being asked to download the same 2.7 GB Windows update file. What could be the reason and how can I avoid downloading it again.*Shock 15310
  10. Download / Save video

in Windows 10 Support
    Download / Save video: Hello,Some video clips locations, such as music (opera, concert), when I opened some to view on screen, I could with a right-clickto open a menu, there is a line "Save video as...", then I could save the video to the computer. Today I noticed this option became Gray, checked...