Windows 10: Downloading game of 43 Gigas from Steam,discovered only 36 left on SSD

Discus and support Downloading game of 43 Gigas from Steam,discovered only 36 left on SSD in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hello. Got this gaming machine with W10 just this week. Very confused, looking back fondly to W7. Anyway, I installed the software I'm used to,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Another Tyro, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Downloading game of 43 Gigas from Steam,discovered only 36 left on SSD

Hello. Got this gaming machine with W10 just this week. Very confused, looking back fondly to W7. Anyway, I installed the software I'm used to, Firefox, Thunderbird, plus Malwarebytes. Wanted to make room for game being downloaded. Found out I can't delete Microsoft's stuff I don't want to use. So a game from Steam of 43 Gigas is downloading it's slow way onto my machine. But only 36 Gigas free on the SSD C: drive, which is evidently according to Parameters the place for applications. The SSD drive C: (nor the D: drive) shows no sign of augmenting so I assume what has downloaded so far is being cached somewhere, and not so far on the drive. But when all 43 gigas have arrived, will they try to find room on C:? In other words, what's going to happen? Is there anything I can do?
    Thanks

:)

Another Tyro, Oct 19, 2017
  2. BossDweeb Win User

Installing Windows 10 on free DOS from beginning

"...particularly games which can be large but really benefit from the speed of SSD. "

While Windows does benefit a lot from being on an SSD, games don't really .

The only benefit is slightly quicker loading time.

Having said that. I do now have a 1TB SSD (on a new/second hand machine I bought recently),

and about half my games are now on that. The rest (Steam download ), are still on a 7200rpm HDD .

The difference is that negligible I had forgotten I had games on an SSD, and had to re-write part of this post.

- I keep music on the HDD as well, and if I had a videos or other similarly large files they would also be on the HDD.

BossDweeb, Oct 19, 2017
  3. UmarAS Win User
    SSD windows C: keep eating up space on its own

Hello, i just bought a laptop yesterday with windows 10 installed.

Recently, i downloaded steam gaming app on the windows C: solid state drive.

The space of my windows C: ssd is 118 gb. After downloading and

installing the steam app it took quite a lot of space in my C: drive

then i decided to remove it to data D: .

I cut and pasted all the steam folders to D:

it could not transfer all the file to data D: because of certain problems,

so i pressed the skip button.

After transfering all the steam files to data D:, the steam app and the

games could not be opened because some of the files were untransferable

during the transfer process.

Then i decided to uninstall all the steam and games on the control panel/

program/programs and features.

after uninstalling, i dowloaded back all the games.

After reinstalling all steam and games on my D: drive, i found out that

my windows C: ssd keep filling up space with no reason. i have tried the disk

clean up several times but it does not work and the space keep filling up.

I do not know much about computer systems and programs.

Can anyone please help me solve this problem because i may not be able

to install anymore software on the ssd windows C: when its all filled up.

UmarAS, Oct 19, 2017
  4. Downloading game of 43 Gigas from Steam,discovered only 36 left on SSD

Steam allocates space before downloading, if it would be insufficient, it would not start downloading.
    A game usually states, that it needs like 50GB, but in reality, it needs only 35GB or something like that.

TairikuOkami, Oct 19, 2017
  5. Plankton Win User
    Your SSD looks to be 120 GB in size. Which is just big enough to hold your OS an Office suite and a few other programs. Everything else should be stored on your 1TB HDD. This is done in 2 ways....in windows 10, go to settings, system, storage, change where new content is saved.....change all those to your D drive. The other way is in your browser settings...and they're a tad bit different for each browser.

Plankton, Oct 19, 2017
  6. I appear to have been able to get rid of Office, later I will import my own favourite and put it on D: disc. For the moment, isn't it the point of the SSD disc, C:, that programs will run very fast? If so, I would like to put the game on C: Would it be possible for me to move something already on C:, such as malwarebytes or a Windows programme to D:, so as to clear a bit of space?
    I have done the new content settings so all goes to D:, except reluctant to do so for applications for the moment so the game goes on C: Thanks for that advice.

7. I have just noticed I am in the Gaming forum; someone up above must have moved me from Installations. I thought the problem was more of that nature, installing a new programme than about gaming. Right, here I am.

8. Plankton Win User

Downloading game of 43 Gigas from Steam,discovered only 36 left on SSD

Bottom line is: Your C drive is too small. You can move files back and forth all you want.....but your still left with a C drive that is too small. You will have to get a larger SSD to permanently fix your issue.

Plankton, Oct 19, 2017
  9. Oh. Well I am not going to do that; this machine has already cost me a fortune. I think the game download will have to be suspended for the time being while I try to delete stuff. However, to pursue a question: do applications run faster on C; the D is only a 5400 rotation hard disc?

10. Helmut Win User
    "isn't it the point of the SSD disc, C:, that programs will run very fast?"

Not really, they will load programs faster but they generally won't run any faster as that is much more the CPU, GPU and the amount of RAM and graphics RAM.

Only if you have a vast amount of data swopping to your SSD will there be a difference, like in a lack of RAM scenario.

With a 120 GB SSD there is not much you can install on that. Large fast SSDs are expensive.
    I currently only have 2 largish games installed 60 GB, and the Windows folder is 30 GB plus various windows bits and pieces, that would fill a 120 GB drive.

Helmut, Oct 19, 2017
  11. They will load faster, they will run the same from HDD, especially with pagefile disabled, mine HDD works at 210MB/s.

TairikuOkami, Oct 19, 2017
  12. sygnus21 Win User
    As one who has a 2TB Samsung 950 EVO SSD drive with a 1TB partition full of games, I can assure you (sadly) that games won't perform any better than they did on a traditional hard drive. What they'll do is load faster not run better.

That said, they are purported to help with hitching in open world games....
    How do SSDs affect gaming performance? | PC Gamer

I've yet to fully notice that part, but can confirm it did nothing for Deus EX: Mankind divided, where the game still stutters like madness in certain areas. But than again, I wouldn't call Deus EX: Mankind divided an open world game like say Skyrim or Fallout New Vegas.

sygnus21, Oct 19, 2017
  13. Downloading game of 43 Gigas from Steam,discovered only 36 left on SSD

Hi,
    Evo ssd's are not all that great
    Pro series is supposed to be a lot better.

ThrashZone, Oct 19, 2017
  14. swarfega Win User
    I have 3 evos and they're just fine. Unfortunately SSDs as mentioned above don't on the whole speed up game loading times.

swarfega, Oct 19, 2017
  15. Hi,
    Even the 850 pro is faster than the 960 evos or at least @AddRAM says :/

ThrashZone, Oct 19, 2017
Thema:

Downloading game of 43 Gigas from Steam,discovered only 36 left on SSD

1. Downloading game of 43 Gigas from Steam,discovered only 36 left on SSD - Similar Threads - Downloading game Gigas

2. PC Crashed on startup of steam games ONLY

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Crashed on startup of steam games ONLY: Hi,A really odd one here,I've been experiencing this odd occurrence, when I launch these games:CS2PUBGContent WarningPC just decides to give up..The only thing I could find after a crash was in the Event Viewer keyword: 0x8000400000000002And solutions proposed to such...
  3. PC Crashed on startup of steam games ONLY

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC Crashed on startup of steam games ONLY: Hi,A really odd one here,I've been experiencing this odd occurrence, when I launch these games:CS2PUBGContent WarningPC just decides to give up..The only thing I could find after a crash was in the Event Viewer keyword: 0x8000400000000002And solutions proposed to such...
  4. Tried to download a game from steam and now im in a BSOD Loop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Tried to download a game from steam and now im in a BSOD Loop: Hello, I tried to download a game called Counter-Strike Global Offensive on steam and for some reason my disk usage skyrocketed to 100% when i was downloading it, ofcourse everything went to hell and crashed and i got a BSOD, the stop code error was "Critical Process Died" or...
  5. BSoD when downloading steam games

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    BSoD when downloading steam games: I have just installed a new ssd to my pc. It was working fine till i started to download my games to new disc. I am usually leaving my pc open overnight if i am downloading a big sized game. I had no issue with my old drive. I still have no issue when i directly download...
  6. windows freeze when downloading games from steam

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    windows freeze when downloading games from steam: hello, this problem happens only when i download games from steam. when the games start to download, it runs fine for a while, and then the computer start to lag and finally freeze stand still, even the ctrl + alt + del didn’t work, so i have to shut my pc down using the...
  7. downloading games on steam - BSOD randomly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    downloading games on steam - BSOD randomly: When I'm downloading games on steam I have BSOD randomly. Windows 10 1909 GTX 1070 Here the minidump ************* Symbol Path validation summary ************** Response Time ms Location Deferred...
  8. Downloading help from steam

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Downloading help from steam: In my computer I have 2 hard drives. one small and one big. The small one was default when i got my computer. The game that needs updated is downloaded on my small drive and I'm wonder if i can make the update download on my bigger drive... If i need to do the update in the...
  9. BSOD when downloading games from steam and watching dvds on VLC

BSOD when downloading games from steam and watching dvds on VLC: Hello everyone, I have been getting BSOD multiple times since I built this pc, which is only about a couple weeks old. Everything was fine for the first week or so, then It started when I was attempting to download a game from steam (elder scrolls online). During BSOD it...
  10. BSOD when downloading games on steam

BSOD when downloading games on steam: I just got a new computer built and got a new monitor along with it but a problem has arose. I can use the computer but when something that required a lot of RAM or just a lot of priority to open for example "Steam" the software in which you can download games and such...