Windows 10: "Downloads" folder icon missing

Discus and support "Downloads" folder icon missing in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello all,I'm Aaron and I'm new in here. Nice to meet you all! xDI was at Google searching for a solution for my problem when I found you, guys. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by aaronlucato, Jan 3, 2017.

1. "Downloads" folder icon missing

Hello all,I'm Aaron and I'm new in here. Nice to meet you all! xDI was at Google searching for a solution for my problem when I found you, guys. I looked everywhere, searched all tenforums.com, but couldn't find an answer. :SMy "Downloads" folder (C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Downloads) icon has gone missing, turning "Downloads" folder into a normal folder (at least in the appearance, since the folder remains the same in all other aspects).I have attached below two screenshots:1º screenshot: how the "Downloads" folder presents itself when I browse to "C:\Users\%USERNAME%" through the desktop, by clicking on my name's icon below the recycle bin;

"Downloads" folder icon missing [​IMG]
    2ª screenshot: how the "Downloads" folder presents itself inside "This PC" (the icon, then, looks normal);

"Downloads" folder icon missing [​IMG]

Any tip would be grateful, guys!Thanks a lot and a happy new year for we all! *SmileAaron

:)

aaronlucato, Jan 3, 2017
  2. musum Win User

" SOFTWARE UPDATE FAILED "

SO HERE'S THE LINK TO THAT PIC

http://i26.tinypic.com/2ihbdco.jpg

CAN U PLZ CHECK IT ACTUALLY I HAVE USED THE NOKIA SOFTWARE UPDATER B4 ... BUT I DONT KNW WHY I M GETTING THIS ERROR NOW

musum, Jan 3, 2017
  3. musum Win User
    " SOFTWARE UPDATE FAILED "

i have installed windows xp sp2

previously i was using windows media center i thought i might b facing this probs due to that but then i changed it to windows xp ! n moreover i have also shown to nokia service center executives but they were not having the latest updates available ......
    my pc suite is showing that new update version of firmware is available but i cudnt download it "Downloads" folder icon missing :(

oh gawd wat to do ? "Downloads" folder icon missing :(

i tried in another pc then again i got an error u need to have minimum 256 ram "Downloads" folder icon missing :(

please cant it b rectified ? there must b any solution to this probs please help me guyz

god bless all of u thanx "Downloads" folder icon missing :)

musum, Jan 3, 2017
  4. smirnovAl Win User

"Downloads" folder icon missing

Not sure if you tried it/would work, but access the Downloads folder, right-click anywhere and then on Properties. Go to the "Customize" tab and click on "Restore default". This will ensure that no other icon is being shown on that folder than the default one.

smirnovAl, Jan 3, 2017
  5. Hi, smirnovAl, and thanks for your reply! I have tried it already and tried again when I saw your reply, but no success. *Sad

Thanks a lot,
    Aaron

aaronlucato, Jan 3, 2017
  6. smirnovAl Win User
    Have you performed any changes before it occurred?

smirnovAl, Jan 3, 2017
  7. tracit99 Win User
    User folders are not your normal everyday folders. They are special folders and they have special properties.
    Look inside the Downloads Folder for a file called desktop.ini. The contents of the desktop.ini file should look something like this:

[.ShellClassInfo]
    LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21798
    IconResource=%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-184

This is the information that tells it which icon to display. If this file is missing or corrupt then the icon will not show properly. It also very possible that your Downloads folder has lost its special properties. You might want to Google how to Repair User Folders. I thought I had this bookmarked but I cannot find it at the moment. Hopefully this will get you pointed in the right direction to solve this issue.

tracit99, Jan 3, 2017
  8. "Downloads" folder icon missing

Thanks a lot for the reply, tracit99! You were absolutely right about everything, though something a little strange has happened. Despite my desktop.ini seemed to be corrupt, I have fixed it by copying it and then replacing it with it's copy! "Downloads" folder icon missing o_O

I'll mark the post as solved and then post a step-by-step guide for the ones who need it. *Smile

aaronlucato, Jan 3, 2017
  9. =======================================================================================
    Restore default "Downloads" user folder icon in Windows 10 through the desktop.ini file
    =======================================================================================

Note: this option will be for all of the user folders in "C:\Users\%USERNAME%" folder, except for the %USERNAME% folder itself. This guide is adapted and giving you instructions and download material purposely designed to fix the "Downloads" user folder, though it can be well done to fix all the other user folders in "\users\%USERNAME%" directory simply by replacing the "desktop.ini" file. Just follow the link at the bottom

1. Press and hold Windows key and then press "R" key to open the "Run" dialog

2. Type in the shell command:

"shell:downloads" (without quotes)

Note: this will open the personal user folder "Downloads"

3. In Folder options, set protected operating system files to show

4. Download the file "desktop.zip" containing the "desktop.ini" file
    Note: step 3 must be done before downloading and extracting the contents of this zip file, or else you'll see just an empty archive when you open "desktop.zip", since the content is a hidden system file called "desktop.ini")

===========
    desktop.zip
    ===========

5. Extract the contents of "desktop.zip" containing the "desktop.ini" file related to the "Downloads" folder icon that you want to restore
    Note: the desktop.ini file is a .txt file that contains the user folder settings in it

6. Right click the desktop.ini file in the extracted folder and click on "Properties". In the "General" tab, click the "Unblock" button and then "OK"
    Note: If there's not an "Unblock" button, then it's already unblocked. Proceed to step 6

7. Replace the "desktop.ini" file in "C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Downloads" with the one you have extracted from the "desktop.zip" file and then close the folder. Confirm any aditional dialog boxes that may appear, including the ones alerting about the dangers of moving system files
    Note: don't worry and replace the file even if the size and other attributes are the same. This is important!

8. Open an elevated command prompt and type:

"attrib +r -s -h %USERPROFILE%\Downloads /S /D" (without quotes)

Note: this will set the user folder as read-only

9. Close the command prompt and restart Windows

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Adapted by Aaron (from: User Folders - Restore Default Icon - Windows 7 Help Forums)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

aaronlucato, Jan 3, 2017
  10. ariogiov Win User
    Thanks, worked like a charm!

Just wanted to point out two more things, maybe can help someone else:
    1 - if you moved the download folder to another drive, when using the cmd you need to write the full path
    2 - you can set the folder to read-only also right clicking on the folder and going in properties

ariogiov, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

"Downloads" folder icon missing

1. "Downloads" folder icon missing - Similar Threads - Downloads folder icon

2. Download Folder when missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Download Folder when missing: At first I switch download location from C drive to E in properties, then I tried to revert to C again but it denied.Then, after watching some videos on YT, I opened up the registry editor and follow the video. After restarting my PC, the download folder disappear while other...
  3. Download Folder when missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Download Folder when missing: At first I switch download location from C drive to E in properties, then I tried to revert to C again but it denied.Then, after watching some videos on YT, I opened up the registry editor and follow the video. After restarting my PC, the download folder disappear while other...
  4. PCs icons missing in Network Folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    PCs icons missing in Network Folders: Hi, I have 4 PCs on my Home network. Every PCs can access each others. However the PCs icons are missing in the Network folder in file explorer. To access a PC I have to type \\PC1, or \\PC-2, or \\PC-3, \\PC-4 to access each PC shared folders in the address bar or click...
  5. Missing Download folder

in Browsers and Email
    Missing Download folder: I cannot download programs. I continually get the message that the download folder cannot be accessed when I select the Run button. I'm using Winver 1909 and Edge. [img] [img] [img] [img] [img] 156622
  6. Missing download folder

Missing download folder: I cannot download programs. When sellecting “run” i get the message that the download directory cannot be accessed. Anyone know a fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/missing-download-folder/6e633736-43b5-48b0-bcbc-33e8ce941757
  7. desktop icons folders missing

in Windows 10 Customization
    desktop icons folders missing: I accidently pushed something all my icons on desktop are not visible https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icons-folders-missing/527a04e5-6679-4ef3-9c15-69ae680eed23
  8. Missing Download folder

Missing Download folder: Just upgraded to a new PC. SSD for OS and programs and D drive for storage. My user folders were on the C drive so have successfully relocated these to D drive. However somewhere my Download folder has disappeared. I have tried all methods to search and restore that I have...
  9. Download Folder Missing

Download Folder Missing: My Downloads Folder and all its contents dissappeared. I did not delete it at all, but i press CTRL + J and it tells me all the data is deleted. My virus protection is up to date and not saying thereis an issue, it alot of data i need. Please help !!...
  10. New folder icons missing

in Windows 10 Support
    New folder icons missing: Hey Guys, I was using Folder Marker for sometime and then i decided to uninstall it. Upon which some of new folder icons were missing. I tried rebuilding Icon Cache and thumbnail cache but it didnt help much. Ive posted the screenshot below. I'm on Windows 10 Home...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. desktop.zip containing the desktop.ini