Windows 10: Downloads Folder Keeps Opening in New Window...

Discus and support Downloads Folder Keeps Opening in New Window... in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So "This PC" has a series of folders: Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, etc... I have my preferences to "Open each folder in the same window".... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Jaxel, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Jaxel Win User

Downloads Folder Keeps Opening in New Window...

So "This PC" has a series of folders: Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, etc...

I have my preferences to "Open each folder in the same window". For most folders, this works exactly as it should.

However, whenever I open a sub folder in the Downloads folder, it opens up in a new window.

Anyone else having this issue?

:)

Jaxel, Sep 3, 2015

2. When opening folder in downloads window, a new explorer window of folder is opened

I started a new user profile and although it worked. It is a solution, although inconvenient. I suppose you can mark this as answered then.

angryunibrow, Sep 3, 2015
  3. When opening folder in downloads window, a new explorer window of folder is opened

When navigating to the downloads folder from "This PC", any folder opened will have a new window opened. Sometimes two open as shown in the picture. When navigating from the user folder, I have no problem. The only thing that fixes this issue is creating
    a new user profile. I have tried multiple commands with no change. This problem only exists with the download folder, every other folder works fine.

Downloads Folder Keeps Opening in New Window... [​IMG]

angryunibrow, Sep 3, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

No, mine is okay.

In File Explore, right click on the Downloads folder and select Properties.
    Click the Customize tab and see what Optimize this folder for is set to. Mine is set to General items.

Ztruker, Sep 4, 2015
  5. Jaxel Win User
    That doesnt make a difference.

Jaxel, Sep 4, 2015
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Hmmm, what is the default action (the top highlighted one) when you right click on a sub folder? MIne is Open, not Open in new Window.

Ztruker, Sep 5, 2015
  7. Jaxel Win User
    On most folders it's "expand". However, on sub folders of the "downloads" folder, the "expand" option is greyed out.

Jaxel, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Downloads Folder Keeps Opening in New Window... - Similar Threads - Downloads Folder Keeps

2. Downloads Folder - New Download Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Downloads Folder - New Download Files: When I download a file to Downloads Folder, I cannot see the file, unless I refresh F5 the Downloads Folder.Is there an option / feature available to automate this? So whenever new files are downloaded, they are listed at top of the list based on Date Modified....
  3. Downloads Folder - New Download Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Downloads Folder - New Download Files: When I download a file to Downloads Folder, I cannot see the file, unless I refresh F5 the Downloads Folder.Is there an option / feature available to automate this? So whenever new files are downloaded, they are listed at top of the list based on Date Modified....
  4. Downloads folder keeps crashing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Downloads folder keeps crashing: Hello All!I have Windows 10 PRO. I got a 32GB, Intel i9 I was trying to download a PDF doc from my Google drive. The PDF doc was a few papers that I scanned myself. It was not some random doc from the internet The file name was VoltageB.pdfIt had 8 pages. I just needed pages...
  5. Downloads folder keeps crashing

Downloads folder keeps crashing: Hello All!I have Windows 10 PRO. I got a 32GB, Intel i9 I was trying to download a PDF doc from my Google drive. The PDF doc was a few papers that I scanned myself. It was not some random doc from the internet The file name was VoltageB.pdfIt had 8 pages. I just needed pages...
  6. File explorer keeps opening folders in new windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer keeps opening folders in new windows: I'm currently on windows 11 latest public build, and every time I try and open folders in explorer, it opens in a new window. This is super frustrating and to get to the folder i need, I end up with 10 or more explorer windows open.I've tried the basics such as going into...
  7. File explorer keeps opening folders in new windows

File explorer keeps opening folders in new windows: I'm currently on windows 11 latest public build, and every time I try and open folders in explorer, it opens in a new window. This is super frustrating and to get to the folder i need, I end up with 10 or more explorer windows open.I've tried the basics such as going into...
  8. File Manager keep opening a folder in a new window

in Windows 10 Support
    File Manager keep opening a folder in a new window: Hi guys, First of all thanks to everybody to help newbies like me. I have problem when i'm working with the file manager in windows 10, when i'm inside the "Downloads" folder, if i try to open a subfolder, then open a new window. I'm not english navite speaker so i...
  9. How to open new folder but keep the existing one open?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to open new folder but keep the existing one open?: Now in my third week with Windows 10 after 15 years using XP. After much googling and several posts in various newgroups and forums I still have no answer to the subject question. In XP, if you wanted to open a new folder (e.g. move up to the next one in the tree) you...
  10. Folders inside Downloads folder open in new window

in Windows 10 Support
    Folders inside Downloads folder open in new window: It only happens when I open the Downloads folder from Quick Access and This PC. [img] I've already checked the Folder Option. Launch folder windows in separate process and Open each folder in its own windows both are unchecked [img] [img] and I also tried everything...