Windows 10: Downloads Folder takes forever to open - tried everything!

Discus and support Downloads Folder takes forever to open - tried everything! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hallo,My downloads folder takes forever to open, sometimes minutes before it has loaded every item.It is a common problem, and I've googled for answers... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Riaan26, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Riaan26 Win User

Downloads Folder takes forever to open - tried everything!

Hallo,My downloads folder takes forever to open, sometimes minutes before it has loaded every item.It is a common problem, and I've googled for answers but none of them seem to help. I've tried to right click on properties, and under customize set to general items, didn't work. I clicked on File Explorer and changed "show or hide" File extensions, but didn't work.Any suggestions?! Thanks!!

:)

Riaan26, Mar 14, 2018
  2. rob2e Win User

.exe files are taking a LONG time to open.

For the life of me! I open as an administrator, or not. I've tried everything. The .exe file opens, but it just takes forever.

I have a new PC, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB SSD HD, Windows build 10.0.16299 Pro

Why would this be happening?

rob2e, Mar 14, 2018
  3. 10 is making my computer sluggish. Super frustrated!

Everything is moving slow. Every page I open has to be recovered several times. And they take forever to open. It takes an hour to read a few articles. What gives? It feels like there's processes happening slowing everything down

thomrichart, Mar 14, 2018
  4. pyramid10 Win User

Possibly the volume (the number of files) needs to be trimmed or divided among several sub-folders.

The volume could also be complicated by a file or two with non-standard naming protocols.

pyramid10, Mar 14, 2018
  5. Check the folder attributes of that Downloads folder.
    Right-click the folder, choose Properties, and in the popup go to the Customize tab.

It asks "What kind of folder do you want?"
    You can choose General Items, Documents, Pictures, Music, or Videos.
    I've found that Documents works well sometimes, but General Items works better at other times.

Someone else here might be able to describe how and why this makes a difference.
    But even without knowing why, it might solve your problem just by changing the folder type.

If that doesn't help there is a last-resort possible fix.
    Open the Downloads folder in Explorer (and, because yours is slow, you wait a while).
    Then, in the View menu ... pull down the Options menu and choose "Change folder and search options".
    In the popup choose the View tab.
    In the checkbox area, checkmark the circle called "Show hidden files, folders, and drives".
    Farther down uncheck the box called "Hide protected operating system files".
    Click OK. Press the F5 key to refresh the Explorer window.
    You should now see a file called "desktop.ini" in the Downloads folder.
    Delete it (or change its name).
    Then, to put things back ... repeat the "Change folder and search options" activity, and put the checkboxes back the way they were:
    --> "Don't show hidden files" and checkmark on "Hide protected operating system files"
    This might solve your slowness problem.

margrave55, Mar 14, 2018
  6. Riaan26 Win User
    Thanks margrave55, the dektop.ini suggestion worked once, but upon return to the laptop this morning there still is no change. I am going to empty out the downloads folder, and start over again, i will report back.

Riaan26, Mar 15, 2018
  7. CountMike New Member
    I usually make a Download folder in another disk/root partition and point browsers to it. Much easier than to dig thru to get default place.

CountMike, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Downloads Folder takes forever to open - tried everything! - Similar Threads - Downloads Folder takes

2. creating a shared folder takes forever

in Windows 10 Gaming
    creating a shared folder takes forever: HiI am trying to create a shared network folder on one of our office PCs, but the process is taking forever. It is not complete yet and has taken 1 hour so far.How i did itcreate a new folderright click and go to properties and under sharing tab click shareThe i just click...
  3. creating a shared folder takes forever

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    creating a shared folder takes forever: HiI am trying to create a shared network folder on one of our office PCs, but the process is taking forever. It is not complete yet and has taken 1 hour so far.How i did itcreate a new folderright click and go to properties and under sharing tab click shareThe i just click...
  4. Downloads folder taking forever to load

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Downloads folder taking forever to load: Hello, I've been having a problem with my downloads folder ever since I got a new laptop.I've tried everything, I optimized it for general items, put it on read only, and the problem still occurs over and over....
  5. Downloads folder taking forever to load

Downloads folder taking forever to load: Hello, I've been having a problem with my downloads folder ever since I got a new laptop.I've tried everything, I optimized it for general items, put it on read only, and the problem still occurs over and over....
  6. Downloads folder taking forever to load

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. mp4 downloads take forever!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    mp4 downloads take forever!: Hello. I have a 2020 Lenovo PC adn I'm trying to download short mp4 files but it takes up to 6 hours. If I play the mp4 before downloading it, it plays for a few seconds then loads for a few seconds, the plays for a few seconds etc.. Help!...
  8. Microsoft store takes forever to download

Microsoft store takes forever to download: I have been trying to download some games but it is taking forever. I can't believe it has download on 700kb in 1 hour. Anyone got a fix for this so please let me know....
  9. Regular Updates are taking FOREVER to download

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Regular Updates are taking FOREVER to download: Fresh brand new install of Windows 10 build 1809 17763.107. Several windows updates were detected. They all say Downloading 0% and that's where they've been for four days. I changed my active hours to 8:00 am to 9:00 am. I ran the Windows Update troubleshooter. The ONLY...
  10. Windows Updates Taking Forever to Download

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Updates Taking Forever to Download: Is it just me, or are Windows 10 updates slowing down? Getting KB4051033 to download is like watching paint dry. I'm on a fibre network connection and Win 7 updates download like lightning, but Win 10 updates take forever. I've been sitting at 9% for the past half hour....