Windows 10: Downloads goes into another user account folder

Discus and support Downloads goes into another user account folder in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I have initially created a user account for a new laptop lets call this user 'A'. Later, I created another user account "B" and deleted the A user... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by beisong, Apr 28, 2016.

1. beisong Win User

Downloads goes into another user account folder

I have initially created a user account for a new laptop lets call this user 'A'. Later, I created another user account "B" and deleted the A user account. However right now, I am logged into account B but whenever I download files, it will be saved into c:/user/A/downloads.

:)

beisong, Apr 28, 2016

2. Windows 10 - Wrong Microsoft Account linked to local admin account - no Sign in with local account instead link available

To work around this issue, I would suggest transferring your data from the main user account (the one that your son's Microsoft account attached itself to) to the other user account (your Microsoft account). To transfer your files from one account to another,
    log in using your son's user account and go to the account folder. Keeping your son's user account folder open, open a new
    File Explorer window and go to your user account folder. You can easily find it by typing
    C:\Users. Return to your son's user account folder, copy all files and folders, then paste them in your account folder.

After everything's done, you can now use your user account as the main account.

Let me know how it goes.

Aileen Alf, Apr 28, 2016
  3. FE_975 Win User
    Windows 10 - New PC, move user accounts from SSD to HD, securely

I started with one Admin account, the three user accounts ( user 1,2 & 3 )
    are
    standard users already, they are not admin.

From a quick search, this is basically what I did -
    http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-move-desktop-downloads-documents-to-another-drive-in-windows-10/
    it moved the folder but the security did not appear to go with the folders. Should it? (I moved the users folders from within the user account, should I
    have moved them from the admin account?).

FE_975, Apr 28, 2016
  4. AndreTen Win User

Hi beisong and welcome to Tenforums!

Is it only downloads folder, or are other user folders affected too?

Have you tried to move location? If it doesn't work, you can try to reset folder location. Best to follow tutorial by Brink.

AndreTen, Apr 28, 2016
  5. CountMike New Member
    Which browser ? Most let you set download folder anywhere you want to.

CountMike, Apr 29, 2016
  6. RolandJS Win User
    Some downloads only go to user folder. What I did was put the shortcuts to all possible download folders into my desktop's utility folder, that way, I can instantly check download folders when even the browser setting is over-ridden by certain downloads.

RolandJS, Apr 29, 2016
  7. beisong Win User
    You are right. other user files are affected as well, including desktop, documents etc. I have not tried the solution you have given. anyone else has an idea how to fix this? Thanks

beisong, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Downloads goes into another user account folder - Similar Threads - Downloads goes another

2. Tried to move Users folder and Downloads folder to another SSD to clear storage, instead,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tried to move Users folder and Downloads folder to another SSD to clear storage, instead,...: I tried to move my users file and my downloads file to another 1 TB SSD and now my actual downloads file is useless and now my D: has turned into my downloads file and I have tried using Registry editor to change my Downloads folder registry like 5 times but nothing has...
  3. Tried to move Users folder and Downloads folder to another SSD to clear storage, instead,...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Tried to move Users folder and Downloads folder to another SSD to clear storage, instead,...: I tried to move my users file and my downloads file to another 1 TB SSD and now my actual downloads file is useless and now my D: has turned into my downloads file and I have tried using Registry editor to change my Downloads folder registry like 5 times but nothing has...
  4. My file path goes to another folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My file path goes to another folder: I installed Dropbox on my computer and synched all documents so I can access them on a different computer. However, the path on my screen was showing now C:\Users\AbrahamJ\Dropbox\MyPC\Desktop\file_name instead of C:\Users\AbrahamJ\Desktop\file_name. I don't know what...
  5. My file path goes to another folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My file path goes to another folder: I installed Dropbox on my computer and synched all documents so I can access them on a different computer. However, the path on my screen was showing now C:\Users\AbrahamJ\Dropbox\MyPC\Desktop\file_name instead of C:\Users\AbrahamJ\Desktop\file_name. I don't know what...
  6. My file path goes to another folder

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Copy user unknown account to another user.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Copy user unknown account to another user.: Hello, I need a way to copy or merge an unknown account user with another user account. This issue arose when I disconnected my work or school account under the settings - accounts - access work or school. I was having issues as the Azure account was limiting some control...
  8. Accidentally renamed User folder to Downloads after trying to move User folders to another...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Accidentally renamed User folder to Downloads after trying to move User folders to another...: I tried to move my User folders to another drive but when the first folder showed up as not being in a folder the same as what would be in C:\Users\Pete\ I ried to move the files back. I tried following...
  9. Another users is using this account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Another users is using this account: Ok so I have a local account thier a couple of users on my pc that I only use. My gaming account and my main account but I had an issue with the users folders because it wasn't the name of my microsoft email address that I use for normal non gaming things. So I go to...
  10. Moving an account to another user

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving an account to another user: I rebuilt a computer for my girlfriend and I and when I loaded two new copies of windows 10 on each computer I used my account to set them up. Is there a way I can move the windows key on her computer to her windows account after the fact?...