Windows 10: DPC Watchdog Violation at same point in boot process

Discus and support DPC Watchdog Violation at same point in boot process in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello blue screen gurus. I could use some help. The problem: Can't boot normally - computer freezes (drive light goes off and stays off) at point... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by rkl122, Jun 3, 2017.

1. rkl122 Win User

DPC Watchdog Violation at same point in boot process

Hello blue screen gurus. I could use some help.

The problem: Can't boot normally - computer freezes (drive light goes off and stays off) at point where desktop icons are filling in. Happens every time at about the same point

Facts: Dell XPS desktop about six years old, core i7, started on Win 7, upgraded to Win 10x64 about a month before the free install expired. Been working fine 'til now. The last thing I'd done was switch a USB game controller from one port to another, initiated Restart, and retired for night. In morning, BSOD reporting the DPC Watchdog Violation. I had not rebooted for several weeks before that. My WinVer is 1607 (Founders has not reached me yet.) Through the "abnormal shutdown route", I can get to Safe Mode which is entirely stable.

Things I've done (from safe mode), with observations:
    - Unplugged all usb devices except mouse and keyboard.
    - Did an uninstall on each of the usb drivers.
    - Ran SFC /scannow. No error.
    - Ran chkdsk C: /f /r No event log found (filtered for chkdsk and wininit)
    - Tried system restore, but got error (due to known AppXStaging issue)
    - Switched the SATA driver to windows generic.
    - Switched the video driver to windows generic.
    - After doing one of the last two - don't remember which - the BSOD stopped appearing on normal boot, but the the computer simply dies at the same point each time. Mouse cursor moves, and becomes "busy" when floated over the (empty) task bar, but the drive light stays out. Can only boot from power button.
    - Uninstalled Panda antivirus, at least as far as it would go from safe mode. Not sure if the required reboot completely cleared it, and couldn't run the generic removal tool from the Panda site in Safe Mode.
    - Tried to start Windows Security service but it wont start in Safe Mode (even though the services on which it depends are said to be running.) Now I'm not sure if it's safe to do a safe mode with internet.
    - Spoke with three different people at Microsoft Support. None appeared familiar with DPC Watchdog and had to look it up. They went through simple scripts with me, but in end referred me either to a Win 10 reinstall or a service technician. I'm really trying to avoid either of those. Got my eye on a new computer, and if I'm going to have to reinstall all my stuff - much of it with licenses - would rather only go through that once.
    - I set the dump facility to full kernel dump, and I know you guys would like to see that. I'm prepared to teach myself how to install and use the debugger, but here's the thing: in my Windows directory, the file MEMORY.DMP is dated a year ago July. ie. It appears no dump is occurring. Is that a clue?
    - I have a second internal hard drive (non bootable) and am running chkdsk /f /r on it now, just in case. Don't expect that to change the picture. EDIT - No file structure issue and no bad sector, and the log does appear in the Event Editor, which leaves me wondering harder why chkdsk C: /f/r did NOT leave an event log?

I'm prepared to accept that the boot drive is bad despite above efforts - I have Acronis and Macrium backups - but would that explain why the freeze occurs in just about the same spot each time?

Needless to say this is frustrating. I'd appreciate any help or advice. Be glad to supply additional info if instructed on how to acquire it. Many thanks, -Ron

EDIT - I just thought of something else in case it's relevant. There's a front panel on the Dell with several USB ports and an SD card reader. The ports stopped working couple years ago, so I've just been using those on the top or back of the case. But only recently, probably after the last normal boot, the card reader quit working also. Is there something I should do to ensure the boot process is not trying to "read from that bus" (or whatever the proper terminology)?

:)

rkl122, Jun 3, 2017
  2. VeraKh Win User

Bluescreen DPC Watchdog Violation

It did just crashed again. The same problem - DPC Watchdog Violation

VeraKh, Jun 3, 2017
  3. titan21 Win User
    blue screen

stop code : DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION

titan21, Jun 3, 2017
  4. axe0 New Member

axe0, Jun 3, 2017
  5. rkl122 Win User
    Sorry I missed that. I added the three files created by that routine - run in safe mode - to my initial post. There was no prompt to name the zip file - it named itself. Thanks for response.

rkl122, Jun 4, 2017
  6. axe0 New Member
    2 of the 3 are useless, only the zip file we need *Smile

Run the utility again and upload a new zip, the current zip is empty.

axe0, Jun 4, 2017
  7. rkl122 Win User
    Done. Sorry - I didn't notice the zip was empty and can't explain why.

Incidentally, I made a Win 10 install thumb drive and ran the repair component, hoping it might have improved routines. It went through the usual Diagnosing - Repairing cycle but still reported that Windows could not be repaired. The only change is that the blue screen is back... same point in bootup and same DPC Watchdog Violation error.

rkl122, Jun 4, 2017
  8. axe0 New Member

axe0, Jun 4, 2017
  9. rkl122 Win User
    rkl122, Jun 4, 2017
  10. axe0 New Member
    I recommend to replace the hard drive, the errors chkdsk find are too consistent.

11. rkl122 Win User
    I was afraid of that. Thank you very much for looking at the files.

I increased the pagefile size to a max of 2x memory, but still no MEMORY.DMP after BSOD.

I notice that the SMART data for the drive contain an "end to end" fail, whatever that means. So the drive fails to boot in normal mode, but not in safe mode. Any logic to that?

Some questions if I may. I have recent backups but not a disk image. (I also have a Macrium Free rescue CD.) If I can manage a Macrium disk image from Safe Mode, would the image be healthy for restoration of the new drive?

While I plan to buy a new computer, I'd like to keep this one too, so will get a new drive. I've never actually had to install to a clean drive before. I did make the USB stick as instructed elsewhere in these forums. It has the proper settings as far as they go (English, Win 10x64). I read that there are Win 10 ISO's out there for different builds. But there was no choice of build in preparing the stick. Is that an issue of concern?

Lastly, would it be gauche to ask for opinions on the quality of a PC I have my eye on - say in the hardware forum?

rkl122, Jun 4, 2017
  12. axe0 New Member
    Caused by the hard drive. While the BSOD process is gathering information, it is performing a few checks to make sure the memory.dmp does not get corrupted data, if any of these checks fail no dump is generated.

In safe mode only the minimum stuff is enabled, likely chance that no disk problems are present in safe mode.

I would not recommend to image a system with disk problems, these problems are partly in the file system of Windows. Copying those problems will result in the next OS where you use the image to be unstable too.

When you download an ISO, you download the build installation files that is at that moment the most recent.
    It is not a true concern, because you can always update the build *Smile

In the Windows 10 Forums I have yet to see something that is gauche, I did the same thing with my custom build before I bought all the parts *Smile
    See my thread My 1st pc Solved - Windows 10 Forums

13. rkl122 Win User

Even though sfc /scannow reported no problem? Ok, point taken.

Many thanks for your advice. And for the gentle attitude. *Smile

Incidentally, condolences on your recent loss.

rkl122, Jun 4, 2017
  14. axe0 New Member
    Yes, even when SFC reports no errors.

SFC, System File Checker, only checks if the hashes of the system files are what they should be.
    Chkdsk scans the file system for errors, it is different in the way that it interacts with the hard drive like that it also reallocates bad sectors whereas SFC does nothing like that.

Thank you.

15. rkl122 Win User
    Thought I'd update. I've installed Win 10 on a new drive and indeed, I can boot normally with no blue screen. So thanks again to Axe0 - it'd have taken days longer for me to reach that realization without your help. There have been a couple of freezes after leaving computer for a while, but no dumpfile, no BSOD. There are event warnings ID of 10010 from the Restart Manager, so I think it's due to incomplete configuration or some such. Will start new inquiry if the freezes continue.

I installed Win 10 from thumb drive using the technique described elsewhere in these forums, and got the added bonus of going to Winver 1703(Founders?). Cool. Lady Cortana walked me through part of it out loud. In fact, she seduced me into defining my user account in terms of an MS id, so it took me a while to figure out how to convert to a personal desktop account (including changing the username folder.)

Also, I've now learned that a Macrium backup displays as a virtual disk, and I can drag files & folders directly to new drive. Way cool! I just wish recovering program settings, etc. were as easy for most programs as it is for the Firefox profile or those few programs that don't use the registry.

Seems like I have managed to screw up one small thing. The event view contains a default custom view called "Administrative Events". I filtered it for warnings, etc., intending to save as a new definition, but in fact managed to apply the filter to the default definition itself. Now, I can't unfilter or delete it - the options are greyed out in the editor. Anyone know how to reset that item to default?

Anyway, these forums are great. Thanks again. -Ron

rkl122, Jun 7, 2017
Thema:

1. DPC Watchdog Violation at same point in boot process - Similar Threads - DPC Watchdog Violation

2. DPC Watchdog Violation and then can't boot.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DPC Watchdog Violation and then can't boot.: Hello! I have a PC running Windows 11 that keeps BSODing or won't POST. It had previously been rock solid for five months, and there've been no significant changes to it. I did grab all the minidump files I could find, but I am lost. Any help would be appreciated.Logs here....
  3. DPC Watchdog Violation and then can't boot.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DPC Watchdog Violation and then can't boot.: Hello! I have a PC running Windows 11 that keeps BSODing or won't POST. It had previously been rock solid for five months, and there've been no significant changes to it. I did grab all the minidump files I could find, but I am lost. Any help would be appreciated.Logs here....
  4. DPC Watchdog Violation

DPC Watchdog Violation: I have been having this issue for quite some time and I have tried a variety of different fixes that I have found in other forums. The one thing that has seemed to work for others is if they share their memory dump files and have someone qualified analyze them and see what...
  5. DPC watchdog violation

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    DPC watchdog violation: Hi, I've had this issue before and fixed it by asking the community but I'm not sure if the same thing is causing it this time. My windows 10 pc freezes every once in a while and sends me to a screen that says "your device ran into a problem and needs to restart." along with...
  6. DPC Watchdog Violation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DPC Watchdog Violation: I've been getting a lot of this BSOD and I thought it was because of my Nord VPN but after switching it's not gone away. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance!https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1gzvlzr7Y0K3v1zWhSQePtIN2vsB75S9v?usp=sharing...
  7. DPC Watchdog violation

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    DPC Watchdog violation: Hi, i did The procedure for finding and uploading the DMP files and in the link bellow you can find the .rar with my fileshttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1byH4npZPObG4HUowp-0fRtaOZev2ESpz/view?usp=sharingim having this DPC watchdog violation everytime, everyday, i dont know...
  8. DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION

DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION: SATAsfc /scannowdebugger toolminidump, minidumphttps://anonfiles.com/f0O9u2E8x1/minidump_7z==============Eng=================The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000133 0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000001e00, 0xfffff80068cfb320,...
  9. DPC Watchdog Violation

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    DPC Watchdog Violation: Need help with DPC Watchdog violation; pc was just kind of idle and suddenly BSOD. I'm running windows 10 version 1909 Build(18363.720) 2 of the latest updates have been giving me random bsods as well and I have felt that the KB4551762 update has been the most stable for me...
  10. DPC Watchdog Violation

in Windows 10 Support
    DPC Watchdog Violation: hi recently I have a problem that I have blue screen (dpc watchdog violation) sometimes happens to me especially when I open the overwatch game sometimes I can play all day and without problems and other times just start the game I get the error of dpc watchdog violation blue...