Windows 10: DPC Watchdog Violation. Laptop won't boot up.

Discus and support DPC Watchdog Violation. Laptop won't boot up. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Howdy, Working on a Dell latitude 6520 laptop and all of a sudden I get a DPC_Watchdog_Violation when the machine boots up. I get the spinning dots... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Kelemvor, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Kelemvor Win User

DPC Watchdog Violation. Laptop won't boot up.

Howdy,

Working on a Dell latitude 6520 laptop and all of a sudden I get a DPC_Watchdog_Violation when the machine boots up. I get the spinning dots thing as the boot starts, then they freeze, then I get the BSOD. I've seen all kind sof things onlien about removing certain drivers, and other things but haven't had any luck so far.

I've tried sfc scannow, manually removing drivers via Safemode, and running a chkdsk. I started the chkdsk last night and it got to 11% and sat there for a long time so I went to bed. When I got up this morning I was back at the Watchdog error screen. I rebooted into Safemode and it took me back into running a chkdsk again. Not sure if that means it didn't actually finish last night or what.

The last thing I did was install new drivers for the wireless NIC card but I've since removed them via Device Manager but I still can't boot.

Anyone have any experience with this error and know what I might do to fix it? I CAN boot into Safe Mode and was going to do a system restore but it tells me I don't have any restore points (yea Windows 10).

Thanks!

:)

Kelemvor, Sep 25, 2016

2. DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION

I have been getting DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION on my laptop.

Msi laptop

i7-7700

16gb ram

Nvidia 1060

Pls help

AdityaKolsur, Sep 25, 2016
  3. titan21 Win User
    blue screen

stop code : DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION

titan21, Sep 25, 2016
  4. Steve C Win User

I suspect you have some residual driver files which are casing problems. You could delete the NIC card in Device Manager then let W10 find it again and auto search for the NIC card drivers and let W10 choose what to install. Else, in Device Manager, try reverting to a previous driver configuration. If this fails, you might need to use one of the device driver cleaners recommended on the forum then repeat the above.

Steve C, Sep 25, 2016
  5. Kelemvor Win User
    Thanks. Chkdsk is still stuck at 11% so I'll let that do whatever it's doing and try more driver stuff whenever it gets done.

Kelemvor, Sep 25, 2016
  6. Steve C Win User
    chkdsk can take a while - I found a tip on this forum to use chkdsk <drive> /spotfix

Steve C, Sep 25, 2016
  7. Kelemvor Win User
    Well, chkdsk sat at 11% for a couple hours and then went right to the BSOD.

Kelemvor, Sep 25, 2016
  8. Kelemvor Win User

Went into the Driver area and all the options for rolling back and such were grayed out. Opted to just delete the NIC from device manager and let Windows put it back on. Rebooted and appeared like Windows was loading up OK and then it froze up and eventually brought back to the same stupid error.

I will try to find a driver cleaner type thing.

Kelemvor, Sep 25, 2016
  9. Steve C Win User
    You could install Autoruns to see what is loading, what services and what drivers are loaded. You might find something loading which is screwing up your PC and be able to disable it. Does a clean boot work OK?

Steve C, Sep 25, 2016
  10. Kelemvor Win User
    Well, couldn't find any way to get it to boot into anything other than Safe mode. So, instead of screwing around with it I just tossed in a new HDD and reinstalled Windows.

Kelemvor, Sep 26, 2016
  11. I am having the exact same issue with the same model laptop and it started two days ago. I have tried disabling the Nic cards as well as running a chkdsk. I have been unable to get in other than safe mode. I am a systems admin and I am at a loss.

Thanks so much!

James

jdbrady441, Sep 28, 2016
  12. spunk Win User
    this is an indication of a failing HDD with too many bad sectors. The Drive needs to be replaced.

spunk, Sep 28, 2016
  13. DPC Watchdog Violation. Laptop won't boot up.

I think the reason for the is i did chkdsk /f /r which scans the entire hard drive. two much of a coincidence for two people to have the issue on the same day and same laptop. I think it was an update. There were a bunch of items updated on 9/26/16

jdbrady441, Sep 28, 2016
  14. spunk Win User
    If the Check Disk (chkdsk /R) stalls at 11% then it is trying to move data from a Bad Sector to a good sector near by. If there are too many bad sectors, Check Disk will stall for long periods of time, possibly overnight or Fail. A Drive with no Bad Sectors, updated or not, will finish within an hour or two.

spunk, Sep 28, 2016
  15. I also ran it from the safe mode command prompt and it showed me each step of the way. it came up with no bad sectors and wasn't trying to move anything. It just scanned everything

jdbrady441, Sep 28, 2016
Thema:

1. DPC Watchdog Violation. Laptop won't boot up. - Similar Threads - DPC Watchdog Violation

2. DPC Watchdog Violation and then can't boot.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DPC Watchdog Violation and then can't boot.: Hello! I have a PC running Windows 11 that keeps BSODing or won't POST. It had previously been rock solid for five months, and there've been no significant changes to it. I did grab all the minidump files I could find, but I am lost. Any help would be appreciated.Logs here....
  3. DPC Watchdog Violation and then can't boot.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DPC Watchdog Violation and then can't boot.: Hello! I have a PC running Windows 11 that keeps BSODing or won't POST. It had previously been rock solid for five months, and there've been no significant changes to it. I did grab all the minidump files I could find, but I am lost. Any help would be appreciated.Logs here....
  4. DPC watchdog violation

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    DPC watchdog violation: Hi, I've had this issue before and fixed it by asking the community but I'm not sure if the same thing is causing it this time. My windows 10 pc freezes every once in a while and sends me to a screen that says "your device ran into a problem and needs to restart." along with...
  5. DPC Watchdog Violation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DPC Watchdog Violation: I've been getting a lot of this BSOD and I thought it was because of my Nord VPN but after switching it's not gone away. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance!https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1gzvlzr7Y0K3v1zWhSQePtIN2vsB75S9v?usp=sharing...
  6. DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION: SATAsfc /scannowdebugger toolminidump, minidumphttps://anonfiles.com/f0O9u2E8x1/minidump_7z==============Eng=================The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000133 0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000001e00, 0xfffff80068cfb320,...
  7. Laptop won't boot after receiving DPC Watchdog Violation

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop won't boot after receiving DPC Watchdog Violation: Last Saturday, I decided to update my Windows 10 laptop, in an attempt to help fix my Qualcomm Wifi Driver. But unfortunately, my laptop crashed during the process of updating, displaying a DPC_Watchdog_Violation caused by Qcamain10x64.sys my wifi driver. This was the last...
  8. DPC Watchdog Violation

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    DPC Watchdog Violation: Need help with DPC Watchdog violation; pc was just kind of idle and suddenly BSOD. I'm running windows 10 version 1909 Build(18363.720) 2 of the latest updates have been giving me random bsods as well and I have felt that the KB4551762 update has been the most stable for me...
  9. Boot up loop. DPC Watchdog Violation

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Boot up loop. DPC Watchdog Violation: I can’t get into my pc. Long story short, I was using my pc and needed to unplug my wall adapter for my phone behind my desk, because my regular one used was broken. I bumped my surge protectors and shut off my pc. It’s stuck on a loop of showing the manufacturer splash...
  10. DPC Watchdog Violation

in Windows 10 Support
    DPC Watchdog Violation: hi recently I have a problem that I have blue screen (dpc watchdog violation) sometimes happens to me especially when I open the overwatch game sometimes I can play all day and without problems and other times just start the game I get the error of dpc watchdog violation blue...