Windows 10: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION BSODs and freezes on clean W10 install

Discus and support DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION BSODs and freezes on clean W10 install in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have been running a Windows 10 for some time mostly without problems (although it seemed to me that it was not working as fast as it should be, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by yse, Feb 11, 2017.

1. YSE
    yse Win User

DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION BSODs and freezes on clean W10 install

I have been running a Windows 10 for some time mostly without problems (although it seemed to me that it was not working as fast as it should be, I recalled application startup for example to be much smoother on Windows 8). I decided to do a clean reinstall of Win 10 a couple of days ago and then I started getting a blue screen with error "DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION". First just at times of higher workload (debugging programs in Visual Studio) but now quite often and often on startup. Additional symptoms which are present before the bluescreen are general system unresponsiveness and System Interrupts process taking a high percentage of CPU time (the 2nd symptom does not seem to be always present). Also about 30 % of startups result in a complete system freeze and I have to do a hard reset.

I have now done several clean installs of W10 (even on different HDDs) and the problem keeps reappearing.

What I've tried:
    • Chkdsk - PASS. I have also tried 2 different HDDs and the problem is the same on both, so this is not a drive failure.
    • BurnInTest application - PASS.
    • Windows Memory Diagnostic - PASS without issue but every time after it finishes and Windows starts it freezes and I can't even login.
    • Memtest86 - PASS after 2 hours of testing with 0 errors. However after Windows starts it freezes like with Windows Memory Diagnostic.

:)

2. PC having a dpc_watchdog_violation bluescreen when trying to launch games

Hello,

Since a couple of days now,I couldn't be able to launch any games via Steam or from the desktop. Each time I try,the game loads,the PC freezes and it shows a BSOD with a DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION. I tried multiple things such as updating my graphics card drivers,making
    a clean installation of my Nvidia drivers,checking the content of the hard drive etc. It works for like a day or two and then the problems happens again.

Please answer quickly

LorenzoFerry, Feb 11, 2017
  3. Recurring DPC watchdog violation BSOD after recent Windows 10 update

Hi,

I recently installed the latest Windows 10 update, after which I have been getting BSOD with DPC_watchdog_violation error , preceded by loud buzzing and screen freeze, for a few weeks now.

I have updated all drivers and tried most solutions available online, but I am still getting the error with increasing frequency. The computer also freezes and makes a loud buzzing noise just before the BSOD.

I have uploaed minidump and msinfo at the following OneDrive location:

OneDrive

Please help.

Asmita

AsmitaDatar, Feb 11, 2017
  4. philc43 Win User

Hello and welcome to TenForums *Smile

All the crash dumps I looked at refer to the graphics card driver as the problem. Please reinstall the NVidia driver. The best way to do this is to uninstall everything of Nvidia using Display Driver Uninstaller and install new drivers from your Graphics card manufacturer or from the NVidia website. When you do this be sure the "clean install" box is checked and only install the Graphics driver and the PhysX driver.

philc43, Feb 12, 2017
  5. YSE
    yse Win User
    Hello philc43, you were exactly right! I was getting desperate and thought that I would have to take the notebook to a repair shop because I was starting to suspect hardware. The problem was that the new NVidia driver 378.49 did not work well with my GPU (GTX 860M). Obviously I am not the only one having this problem:
    https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...date/?offset=4

So thank you very much for your help and thanks a lot for the warm welcome too *Smile.

Thema:

1. DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION BSODs and freezes on clean W10 install - Similar Threads - DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION BSODs freezes

2. random DPC_watchdog_violation BSOD freeze

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    random DPC_watchdog_violation BSOD freeze: Hello everyone. Really hoping there is some help out there for this random freezing issue I am having. It is not associated with any particular software or function. I have tried numerous things: removing and resetting the RAM and drives; removing my video card driver using...
  3. BSOD DPC_WatchDog_Violation Freezes and Restarts Randomly

BSOD DPC_WatchDog_Violation Freezes and Restarts Randomly: ```Microsoft R Windows Debugger Version 10.0.22415.1002 AMD64Copyright c Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.Loading Dump File [C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP]Kernel Bitmap Dump File: Kernel address space is available, User address space may not be available.************* Path...
  4. Constant DPC_Watchdog_Violation BSOD, Frequent Freezes

Constant DPC_Watchdog_Violation BSOD, Frequent Freezes: For some reason, my computer recently started experiencing DPC_Watchdog_Violation BSODs but could not create dump files. My Computer would also experience screen freezes that would leave my mouse still moving for a little while. Sometimes, during these freezes, my audio will...
  5. DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION after Win10 clean install

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION after Win10 clean install: So, recently, I’ve had problems with Windows 10. It began right after the setup finished. When I close the lid, and it goes to sleep, I would get a flickering screen with the lockscreen before just turning solid white, and a solid white screen with my cursor. After...
  6. BSOD preceded by computer freezing, DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

BSOD preceded by computer freezing, DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION: Happens about once a day. Doesn't seem to matter what I'm doing, although recently it has been while using Brave. I had a similar issue before which would happen while using Firefox or Chrome. I had installed Windows 10 on this machine as soon as it was available - BSODs...
  7. bsod while installing skyforge dpc_watchdog_violation

bsod while installing skyforge dpc_watchdog_violation: was installing the game and my pc decided to freeze within 2 minutes of the games install, can reproduce the results easily. 73843
  8. Unexpected BSOD - Clean Install of W10 - BSOD's still Reoccurring.

Unexpected BSOD - Clean Install of W10 - BSOD's still Reoccurring.: Heya, I've been experiencing BSOD's for the better part of 7-9 months. I've tried to combat these doing Driver Updates, etc.. And I've come as far as last week, completely reinstalling Windows10 from scratch several times (with BSOD's happening within several hours of a...
  9. W10 clean install. Booting from USB freezes before installation page

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10 clean install. Booting from USB freezes before installation page: I have set up my usb using rufus and UUI. When I boot my pc with the usb its freeze in windows 10 blue logo screen, i've tried to create bootable using 2 different software but still freeze. Here a picture where its freeze [img] My current OS windows 10 32bit and i like...
  10. Clean W10 install on an OEM W10 machine

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean W10 install on an OEM W10 machine: My new Dell Inspiron laptop should arrive this coming Monday. I've been doing some research on doing a clean install. I read where MS won't activate a fresh install over an OEM key. So my Dell with OEM W10 will be activated as such and if I understand correctly if I download...