Windows 10: Drag and Drop txt to Notepad won't work

Discus and support Drag and Drop txt to Notepad won't work in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; SO you know how after I uninstalled Objectdock, Photoshop allowed me to do the drag-n-drop feature.. Well, a day or two later, it stopped allowing me... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by varxtis, Sep 5, 2015.

1. varxtis Win User

Drag and Drop txt to Notepad won't work

SO you know how after I uninstalled Objectdock, Photoshop allowed me to do the drag-n-drop feature..
    Well, a day or two later, it stopped allowing me again. So I uninstalled photoshop, no change. Despite my deep apprehension, I wen ahead and followed your instructions to a point that I can confidently say was to a "T". Tried to restart... after 30mins of not restarting I hit the reset button on the case. It restarted and came up with the log in screen in a flash. After I logged in however, it took about 10 times the usually amount to load everything up.
    I accidentally forgot to do Step 3: Win+X->Command Prompt (Admin). Copy and paste into the command Windows the following and run: Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup&dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth&sfc /scannow&pause"
    and instead tried photoshop Drag-ndrop. It worked, the realize I was supposed to do step three. Close ALL applications/files/programs and followed step 3.
    Results:
    Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10240]
    (c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>
    C:\Windows\system32>Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup&dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth&sfc /scannow&pause

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.10240.16384

Image Version: 10.0.10240.16384

[==========================100.0%==========================]
    The operation completed successfully.

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.10240.16384

Image Version: 10.0.10240.16384

[==========================100.0%==========================]
    The restore operation completed successfully.
    The operation completed successfully.

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
    Press any key to continue . . .

Hit "Enter".
    Photoshop still supports Drag-n-Drop
    Note pad still does not.

I feel back for the trouble, but Im some what obsessed now and need to figure this out. Any other suggestions?

varxtis, Sep 16, 2015

2. Notepad and all functionality working here. win10

lopedoggie, Sep 16, 2015
  3. Are you running notepad as administrator? Did you change UAC settings? This would account for the issue. Running notepad or any application as administrator will effectively block drag and drop. This is because Explorer never runs as administrator even if you set UAC to a lower level.

Just to clarify, you cannot drag files from explorer to a program if it is running as administrator. An application with a lower privilege cannot talk to a higher (admin) one.

logicearth, Sep 16, 2015
  4. varxtis Win User

"logicearth: Are you running notepad as administrator? Did you change UAC settings? This would account for the issue. Running notepad or any application as administrator will effectively block drag and drop. This is because Explorer never runs as administrator even if you set UAC to a lower level.

Just to clarify, you cannot drag files from explorer to a program if it is running as administrator. An application with a lower privilege cannot talk to a higher (admin) one."

IT Worked!!! Thank you Logicearth. Currently everything is "disabled" do you think that would still have an influence on it or would it be safe to start re-enabling programs? The only problem is, I purposely went though and started changing all the right of all the main programs I used to "run as administrator" on purpose because If I didn't and tried to save, it would say I don't have rights or some crap like that. I figured it was windows 10 issue and just needed to change everything to "Run as administrator". Any thoughts?

varxtis, Sep 17, 2015
  5. If the locations you are trying to save to are on a different HDD or in a location you created you need to fix the NTFS permissions as they are tied to the previous installation. Folder > Properties > Security > Advance. If the locations are Windows' system directories (Windows, Program Files) then you need to use Run as Admin.

Other then changing files in system locations there should be no need to run notepad as Admin.

logicearth, Sep 17, 2015
  6. varxtis Win User
    Heres a screenshot of Program Files. I have no clue what any of this means. Just to note, I never touched System folders like Program Files or Windows or anything.
    Drag and Drop txt to Notepad won't work [​IMG]

varxtis, Sep 20, 2015
  7. varxtis Win User
    So, IDK why all the sudden its letting me control where I save the documents, but Notepad is working just as it should. Lets me drag-and drop and save wherever. I want to thank you very much for your time and patience.

varxtis, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Drag and Drop txt to Notepad won't work - Similar Threads - Drag Drop txt

2. Drag and Drop Stops Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drag and Drop Stops Working: I am running windows 10 Pro Version 22H2 OS Build 19045.3086 Computer specs belowAny time I boot up my computer, the drag and drop works like normal for a while. However, when I leave my computer idling for a period of time uninterrupted screen on and everything, and/or when...
  3. Drag and Drop Stops Working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drag and Drop Stops Working: I am running windows 10 Pro Version 22H2 OS Build 19045.3086 Computer specs belowAny time I boot up my computer, the drag and drop works like normal for a while. However, when I leave my computer idling for a period of time uninterrupted screen on and everything, and/or when...
  4. Drag and Drop Stops Working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Drag and drop not working properly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Drag and drop not working properly: Hello,I've just noticed that I can't drag and drop properly; IE: Right click and hold on a file or folder, then drag to destination; release right button and context menu will come up, then select. What I'm getting is a red circle with a red slash through it if I try to drag...
  6. Drag and drop not working properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drag and drop not working properly: Hello,I've just noticed that I can't drag and drop properly; IE: Right click and hold on a file or folder, then drag to destination; release right button and context menu will come up, then select. What I'm getting is a red circle with a red slash through it if I try to drag...
  7. Drag and drop not working properly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Drag and drop not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Drag and drop not working: Can somebody help me how to fix drag and drop cuz i'm having some difficulties trying to fix it submitted by /u/tinki_vinkiii [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j08xv2/drag_and_drop_not_working/
  9. drag and drop stopped working

drag and drop stopped working: drag and drop suddenly stopped working. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drag-and-drop-stopped-working/b73e4938-ca25-420d-a822-f9025fd39090"
  10. drag and drop does not work

drag and drop does not work: drag and drop does not work why? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drag-and-drop-does-not-work/57c0cb22-5019-4867-8a78-2d9a4d5d05e4"