Windows 10: drive C is getting fatter

Discus and support drive C is getting fatter in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After I upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10, drive C (the system drive) shrink to less than 60GB. Now it grew back to 80GB. Disk cleanup (incl.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by zivshosh, Aug 15, 2016.

1. zivshosh Win User

drive C is getting fatter

After I upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10, drive C (the system drive) shrink to less than 60GB.
    Now it grew back to 80GB. Disk cleanup (incl. system cleanup) didn't change a bit.
    I already erased everything related to windows 7.
    Is there anything else I can do?
    thanks

:)

zivshosh, Aug 15, 2016

2. C drive is getting full automatically

You can use treesize, a freeware that would show you which files are taking so much of space.

TreeSize Free - JAM Software

Post back a screenshot of the same and run Treesize as admin as well.

Sumit Dhiman2, Aug 15, 2016
  3. BIPLAB27 Win User
    C drive is getting full automatically

Dear members,

After few updates it is observing that the C drive is getting full automatically day to day. After removing the windows old version file there was approximately 25 GB free space in the C drive but now it is only 1.32 GB.

I have selected all the files and folders in C drive then it is showing 37.9 GB occupied but the C drive is total 61 GB. So where is using the rest of memory? I have checked it by disc clean up also but there has no such big files. Here is few attachmentsfor
    your reference. Please help.

Thanking you,

Biplab

drive C is getting fatter [​IMG]

drive C is getting fatter [​IMG]

BIPLAB27, Aug 15, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hello, really hard to answer.. for example, C: might contain
    - lots of user data
    - programs you've installed and all their temporary files
    - Windows itself, current files
    - Windows.old and files related to a Windows upgrade (which will be deleted after 10 days in the case of the anniversary upgrade).
    - temporary files related to browsers
    etc etc

If you want to see what's taking space, try Windirstat (free).
    After it scans, it will create a rather cute picture for you.

Ccleaner is an extremely well-known cleanup tool, and safe to use.

dalchina, Aug 15, 2016
  5. zivshosh Win User
    thank you for your prompt answer
    Is ccleaner safe to use with windows 10?

it is all my mistake
    I don't know how I fell in this sudden momentary illiterate blindness...
    I have 80GB of free space which is almost 70%
    sorry.. next time I'll be more carefull
    thanks again

zivshosh, Aug 15, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    No problem .. do try Windirstat - interesting style.

Ccleaner is an extremely well-known cleanup tool, and safe to use.
    I use it prior to updating my disk image.

Never bother with registry cleaners.

dalchina, Aug 15, 2016
  7. zivshosh Win User
    of course I tried windirstat immediately only to remember that I used it in... windows 95!
    thanks for ccleaner tip
    will use it also

zivshosh, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. drive C is getting fatter - Similar Threads - drive getting fatter

2. Replacing C Drive - what is the process to get the PC to recognize the drive as the new C...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Replacing C Drive - what is the process to get the PC to recognize the drive as the new C...: I have a server with a failing C drive and also a RAID 5 set to E drive. I am replacing the C drive and have already created the USB boot drive and created a backup of the C drive. When I install the new drive, how does the computer recognize it as the new C drive or what do...
  3. C drive is getting full

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C drive is getting full: Hi Team,C drive is getting full without any files in it plz help to resolve the issueWindows 10.. C :/ Drive automatically full why.. Even if I free some Space again and again.. Best reason and Solution expected......
  4. C drive is getting full

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C drive is getting full: Hi Team,C drive is getting full without any files in it plz help to resolve the issueWindows 10.. C :/ Drive automatically full why.. Even if I free some Space again and again.. Best reason and Solution expected......
  5. C drive is getting full

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. C Drive is Getting Full Automatically.

C Drive is Getting Full Automatically.: Hello. Suddenly my PC's C drive is getting full automatically. When I start my PC it shows 78 GB free and then it's starts to slowly fill up and then storage sense notification comes up saying only 7 GB space is left. The bootup and shut down has become significantly slow. I...
  7. c drive getting filled.

c drive getting filled.: I don't what is root cause of this. "your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart " it happen twice and then C drive empty by 70 GB . but it filled 3 GB with in few hour. How to solve it ? what are the option ? should i format laptop or not ? if I format C drive...
  8. C Drive Getting Full for no reason

C Drive Getting Full for no reason: My C drive keeps getting full. Only around 45 MB is free out of 228 GB. The biggest folder I have in there is Windows 10 with around 3 GB. There are no large hidden files. I check the Windows/Logs/CBS. It is only around 150 MB. I removed all downloads, temporary files,...
  9. My C Drive is getting full and how to free up C Drive space?

My C Drive is getting full and how to free up C Drive space?: I don't want to use cleanup tool to free up C Drive space and I want to get more details about the useless files on C Drive. For example, I want to know what kind of files can be deleted without any negative effect. What is the location of junk files and how and why do they...
  10. Drive C getting Full automatically

Drive C getting Full automatically: i've noticed that my C Drive (which windows is installed on it) gets filled every minute automatically without me downloading or doing anything let me explain a situation so you can understand exactly what i mean : i don't turn off my PC because i work with it almost 18 hours...