Windows 10: Drive F with question mark and disk space mysteriously decreasing

Discus and support Drive F with question mark and disk space mysteriously decreasing in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi to all! I just upgraded to Windows 10 just 3 days ago. Everything was smooth until I noticed a drive named "F". However, there are no usb or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Romulusremus, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Drive F with question mark and disk space mysteriously decreasing

Hi to all! I just upgraded to Windows 10 just 3 days ago. Everything was smooth until I noticed a drive named "F". However, there are no usb or external hdd that are being used by my laptop. The drive F could not be right-clicked in order to see and an error message appears when I click on it. Another problem is my hdd space is mysteriously decreasing, from 463gb yesterday to 459gb today. How can I solve this? Thanks.

:)

Romulusremus, Apr 8, 2016

2. Disk Space on C drive increases and decreases

hello over the last i noticed the disk space increases and decreases on my main drive (c drive) it generally at 64gb space but some times in/creases/decreases by 200-300mb and today it dropped by about 2GB briefly I'm running windows 10 pro (64 bit)

ARSENALTASTIC, Apr 8, 2016
  3. SamSam77w Win User
    Moving Free Space between Hard Drive Volumes

This is all on the SAME physical drive (Disk 0):

I have HDD partitioned into multiple extended partitions: D, E, & F.

I need to move free space to my primary C drive from my F partition.

I've created free space from F.

So, here's my question:

I know this free space needs to be next to the C drive, but how do I move that free space to allow me to extend my C drive from that Free Space (on F)?

SamSam77w, Apr 8, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Drive F with question mark and disk space mysteriously decreasing

Hi, welcome to the mysterious and sometimes confusing world of Win 10.

F: - suggest you post a screenshot of Disk Management
    (Windows key + R, type
    diskmgmt.msc)
    - maybe something odd related to your media card slot?

As regards your disk space, first make sure your data is separate from your OS - on a separate partition or disk. I would imagine you have quite a lot of personal data on C: looking at the size of it.

Second, having just installed Win 10, you will receive updates. However, the number of updates after each major build is quite limited, as many updates are cumulative, so not 100s as in Win 7. So you might see some change initially. Some drivers may be delivered later - so for example, you might find your graphics driver takes space.
    (Apps (the universal apps) are also regularly updated according to a scheduled task but should not result in loss of space).

Clearly that should all stabilise quite quickly, and you should not see a progressive reduction in space.

Suggest you check to see what is newer on your drive if yuo want to try to find out what's happening.
    E.g. install Everything by void tools, free, let it index (quick) and search for (say) files > 10Mb and newer than your installation date.

dalchina, Apr 8, 2016
  5. Thank you for your reply, Dalchina. I opened the disk management but I could not fine the drive "F". Is this a virus or something? Thank you in advance *Smile Here is the screeshot of the disk management.
    Drive F with question mark and disk space mysteriously decreasing [​IMG]

Romulusremus, Apr 8, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Apr 8, 2016
  7. Edwin New Member
    The 'mysterious' drive, (most likely from a thumb drive), should not keep showing in This PC, just in Quick Access, (as it is, per screenshot), if it's been 'Pinned' there.
    Simply right click the entry and choose 'Unpin from Quick Access', or leave it and the question mark will disappear the next time the device is attached again.

Edwin, Apr 8, 2016
  8. Drive F with question mark and disk space mysteriously decreasing

Hi Edwin, I bought a new cable for my external hdd then I plugged it in. The F Drive with question mark was gone however it appears again once I remove my external hdd and there is no option to "unpin" it from the quick access.

Romulusremus, Apr 9, 2016
  9. Thank you dalchina, I'll check it out.

Romulusremus, Apr 9, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
Thema:

Drive F with question mark and disk space mysteriously decreasing

1. Drive F with question mark and disk space mysteriously decreasing - Similar Threads - Drive question mark

2. Disk space available randomly decreased

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disk space available randomly decreased: Hello,I woke up today to find out my computer had only 550 MB left. I didn't add any files. Before, I had 3 GB left. I have a lot of PowerPoint files How can I fix this?Computer Specs:Dell Lattitude 3120 running Windows 11 Pro x64Intel Celery Celeron at 1.10 GHz4.00 GB of...
  3. Disk space available randomly decreased

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk space available randomly decreased: Hello,I woke up today to find out my computer had only 550 MB left. I didn't add any files. Before, I had 3 GB left. I have a lot of PowerPoint files How can I fix this?Computer Specs:Dell Lattitude 3120 running Windows 11 Pro x64Intel Celery Celeron at 1.10 GHz4.00 GB of...
  4. My F Drive has a blue question mark over it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My F Drive has a blue question mark over it: I cannot access the external storage plugged into my USB drive and the F Drive has a blue question mark over it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-f-drive-has-a-blue-question-mark-over-it/69c28b0b-825a-463a-ac51-bf0586fb23cb
  5. My F Drive has a blue question mark over it

My F Drive has a blue question mark over it: I cannot access the external storage plugged into my USB drive and the F Drive has a blue question mark over it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-f-drive-has-a-blue-question-mark-over-it/69c28b0b-825a-463a-ac51-bf0586fb23cb
  6. My F Drive has a blue question mark over it

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Blue Question Mark on Drive

Blue Question Mark on Drive: Hello everyone,I have a Windows Datacenter 2019 Server and yesterday after the update, my C:\ Partition shows up fine but my D:\ partition with the Virtual Machines has a Blue Question Mark. I cannot find the partition under Disk Management. Is there a way to fix it?Please...
  8. Hard drive with question mark

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard drive with question mark: [NOTICE: I posted this twice, once with the "Files, folders, and storage" topic and once again with "Devices and drivers" topic]I found an old hard drive of mine and was wanting to get some old video footage off it. When I plugged it into my pc it came up as "F:\" with a blue...
  9. Hard drive with question mark

Hard drive with question mark: [NOTICE: I posted this twice, once with the "Files, folders, and storage" topic and once again with "Devices and drivers" topic]I found an old hard drive of mine and was wanting to get some old video footage off it. When I plugged it into my pc it came up as "F:\" with a blue...
  10. F drive question mark

F drive question mark: Hello i m having a problem with my F drive, can somebody give me a little help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/f-drive-question-mark/78dd9b62-4a00-41ce-b602-18204b70e6f0

Users found this page by searching for:

1. f disc drive with question mark