Windows 10: Drive from old computer shows up as System Reserved

Discus and support Drive from old computer shows up as System Reserved in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have been able to successfully access my old hard drive from a different computer in the past. Now when I plug it in, it shows up twice in This PC.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by code3boots, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Drive from old computer shows up as System Reserved

I have been able to successfully access my old hard drive from a different computer in the past. Now when I plug it in, it shows up twice in This PC. Once as System Reserved (D) and Local Disk (E) NTFS. If I click on local disk E, it says location not available, E:\ is not accessible, access is denied. If I click on System Reserved, it goes to another page that says this folder is empty.

Advanced warning, I am not computer literate and am not sure if I am in over my head trying to fix this myself or not.

Thank you

:)

code3boots, Mar 16, 2018
  2. HKW8067 Win User

Getting data off a ssd

Hello, I have a smaller work computer that SSD seem to had failed which homed the OS, so I replaced it and reinstalled Win 10 on the new drive, I tried hooking the old SSD up with a USB connector but every time the computer tries to read it nothing comes
    up but the drive letter (named System Reserved) and no files, after a min windows says there is a problem with the drive and can't access it.

During my attempt to repair the old SSD thru they system recovery windows said the drive with the OS on it was locked, I had tried to unlock it with help from info I looked up online but nothing worked.

Is there anything that can be done to access this drive?

Old SSD OCZ Agility 3 240gb: Windows 10 Pro 64bit (System Reserved)

HKW8067, Mar 16, 2018
  3. New computer shows up as PC 2, can't sync old phone stuff with new computer.

Absolutely! Just remove the partnership from your device. It may give a message indicating on the next sync items may be removed but it will not happen since you are not using that PC anymore. BTW, when a partnership is established, you can change the name
    to a more friendly name by opening activesync on the device clicking on Menu/Options and highlight the current name. Then click on Settings and give a new friendly name.

Jack Cook

http://www.experiencemobility.net

http://www.mobilitysite.com

Jack Cook - aka Help_Line, Mar 16, 2018
  4. Bree New Member

Drive from old computer shows up as System Reserved

Welcome to TenForums @code3boots

Each partition on the old drive has been assigned a new drive letter, including the system reserved partition which would never have had a letter when the old PC's Windows was running from this drive. It has nothing of use in it, the E: drive is the old C: drive with your files on it.

Access denied means ntfs permissions are the problem. You don't have permission, only accounts on the old PC will have - and they don't exist on the new PC.

Take ownership of E: and you should then have access. In My PC, right-click on the E: drive and select Properties. On the Security tab click the Advanced button, you can change ownership there.

Don't worry, TenForums has some excellent tutorials - you'll be 'computer literate' before you know it *Smile

Here's a relevant one to start with: Change Owner of File, Folder, Drive, or Registry Key in Windows 10

5. Thank you Bree for the reply. I just tried this and received a new little box that says windows security, unable to set new owner on local disk E., Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

code3boots, Mar 16, 2018
  6. Bree New Member
    The drive may be failing then. Check its SMART data, that should indicate any hardware problems. I use the Portable Apps version of CrystalDisk Info for that (portable apps don't require an install).

https://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/crystaldiskinfo_portable

If the drive is healthy then run chkdsk /f E: from a command prompt (Admin). That can fix CRC errors. If you've been able to access this drive before, then that may be all you need to do to be able to read it again.

7. I'm not sure if this related but may be relevant information. under disc management, there are several entries in disc management and the status is listed as healthy. I have tried to attach a screen shot

code3boots, Mar 16, 2018
  8. Drive from old computer shows up as System Reserved

I ran crystaldisk and it only accessed the computers drive it didn't give any options to check the other drive. I tried to run a disk check from the computer by right clicking on the problem drive and got a box stating "the disk check could not be performed because windows can't access the disk.

code3boots, Mar 17, 2018
  9. Bree New Member
    It accesses all the disks, but the data for your system drive is shown first. You can view any other disk(s) bu selecting it from the 'Disk' menu at the top.

Just below the menu bar you'll see the health, temperature and drive letters for all drives. You can also view the other drive(s) by clicking on them here.

Just for good measure, there's a third way to switch disks, there are left/right buttons on title line with the disk's name.

10. I did check there and the only disk that shows up in the drop down is the computer hard drive.

code3boots, Mar 17, 2018
  11. Bree New Member
  12. Sorry about the picture, I didn't realize it would degrade so much. I attempted to attach the snipping tool result.

code3boots, Mar 17, 2018
  13. Drive from old computer shows up as System Reserved

I am also adding a shot of This PC. It shows the old driving listed twice as system reserved and drive E. I thank you for the assistance you are providing.

code3boots, Mar 17, 2018
  14. Bree New Member
    Thanks for the screenshots. There's nothing in Disk Management to suggest anything is wrong.

It's odd that CrystalDisk couldn't see the drive while Disk management can, though. At you sure it was plugged in before opening CrystalDisk Info? Try again, perhaps with the drive in another usb port if you are accessing it using an external drive enclosure.

Have you tried chkdsk /f yet?

PS: if you want to stop the System Reserved partition appearing as D: then just remove its drive letter using Disk Management.

15. I did and I got a box that said disk check cant be performed because windows can't access the disk. I also shut everything down and restarted and tried crystaldisk again with the same results as before.

code3boots, Mar 17, 2018
Thema:

Drive from old computer shows up as System Reserved

1. Drive from old computer shows up as System Reserved - Similar Threads - Drive old computer

2. Restoring Documents from Old Computer's Back-Up Drive to New Computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restoring Documents from Old Computer's Back-Up Drive to New Computer: My Old Windows 10 computer died. Fortunately, I had been using File History to back-up the Documents, Pictures, and Videos onto an external hard drive.I bought a new Windows 11 computer and wanted to restore my Documents, Pictures, and Videos. When I turned on File History on...
  3. System Reserved Drive D

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Reserved Drive D: I am just wondering what the system reserved drive is. I googled it, and it shouldn't be showing up, let alone have a letter assigned to it. When I open it, its completely empty and it says it is System Reserved D: Will this drive cause any problems and why is it even showing...
  4. System Reserved Drive D

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Reserved Drive D: I am just wondering what the system reserved drive is. I googled it, and it shouldn't be showing up, let alone have a letter assigned to it. When I open it, its completely empty and it says it is System Reserved D: Will this drive cause any problems and why is it even showing...
  5. Is it safe to get rid of System reserved disk from old HDD?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is it safe to get rid of System reserved disk from old HDD?: A while ago, my old PC died. I got its HDD with windows and put it in a new PC with windows preinstalled I got later, figured out how to access the old HDDs files and everything works fine, just that there are two disks showing up in the This PC window. It doesn't cause any...
  6. System Reserved partition just showed up after installing hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System Reserved partition just showed up after installing hard drive: So I just installed the hard drive of my past PC into my new one. This is where I'm going to sound like a complete idiot. I decided to just format the drive once it's installed in the new computer. I did NOT take windows off of it before installing it. My intention was not to...
  7. System Reserved drive showing up on windows explorer

System Reserved drive showing up on windows explorer: I have recently updated to the newest version of Windows 10 which is 2004. What is weird is that I noticed that the System Reserved drive is showing up, which by default before was just a partition that Windows makes. Can i delete this partition, and if i delete it, would...
  8. Delete Old System Reserved Partition?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Delete Old System Reserved Partition?: Hi, I have just built a new PC and have installed a new installation of Windows on an NVMe drive. I then took out my old hard drives from my previous PC and installed them in my new one, I want to be able to use them all for storage. When I go into Disk Management I see all...
  9. Windows Explorer showing System Reserved drive

Windows Explorer showing System Reserved drive: Ever since I did a clean installation of Windows 7 on my system it started showing a System Reserved Drive of size 100MB. Even after upgrading to Windows 10 it didn't go away. How can I hide it?[ATTACH]...
  10. Boot drive from my old computer won't show up as external drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Boot drive from my old computer won't show up as external drive: Windows 10 version 1903 I recently decided to finally upgrade my Windows 7 system to Windows 10. I bought a new SSD, removed my old SSD, and installed Windows 10 on the new one. This way I'd be able to go back to my old system if I forgot to back something up or just didn't...