Windows 10: Drive letter for EFI system partition?

Discus and support Drive letter for EFI system partition? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; In Macrium Reflect (free), a Dell Optiplex 3046 running 6.3.1835 on Win 10 64 Pro, returns a Cluster run error Cluster run short error 21 when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by geoB, Sep 17, 2017.

1. geoB Win User

Drive letter for EFI system partition?

In Macrium Reflect (free), a Dell Optiplex 3046 running 6.3.1835 on Win 10 64 Pro, returns a
    when performing a backup that includes the EFI system partition. Macrium's suggested solution is to assign a drive letter to that partition. The EFI partition is required for a disk image.

Before I assign a drive letter I'd like to understand what risks there are in the assignment.

:)

2. Window 10 EFI System Partition and Recovery Partition Show Up In File Explorer

I had exactly the same problem after re-installing Win 10 Home. EFI partition kept up showing up as G: Drive and none of the tricks I found through Google worked. I was able to remove the drive letter with diskpart, but after reboot it came back. Microsoft
    Support solved the case for me and I want to document the solution here to help others.

1. Open Windows Powershell or Command line as Administrator

Start -> Powershell -> Runs as Administrator

2. Open Diskpart

diskpart

3. Identify the EFI partition showing up in Explorer

list volume

4. Select the EFI partition (Replace 'X' with the correct drive letter):

select volume X

5. Remove the EFI partition's drive letter (Replace 'X' with the correct drive letter):

remove letter=X

6. Exit Diskpart

exit

7. Open RegEdit

Start -> Type "regedit"

8. Find the right key/folder

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

9. If the EFI partitions drive letter is still in registry, delete the value.

For example: \DosDevices\X:

10. Close RegEdit and reboot.

Japelo_1976, Sep 17, 2017
  3. HP - Windows 10 - X:\sources>bootrec/fixboot ---> Access is denied.

I've tried this solution, but when I list the volumes, none of them match "EPS - EFI System Partition"
    so I went with Volume 3 which has no letter, no label, is FAT32 - Partition - 260 MB - Healthy - Hidden

I went ahead and assigned it drive letter "B" since I did not know if there was a specific letter I should be naming it.

Here is what happened:

DISKPART>sel vol 3

DISKPART>assign letter=B:

DiskPart successfully assigned the drive letter or mount point.

DISKPART>exit

Leaving DiskPart...

X:\sources>cd/d B:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\

B:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot>bootrec/fixboot

Access is denied.

BreakingDallas, Sep 17, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

The only risk is that it will give the user and programs access to the EFI System Partition through the drive letter to make changes. I doubt that assigning a drive letter will fix the issue because we do backups all the time with no drive letter assigned to the EFI System Partition, but you can try, and just remove the drive letter after the backup is done.

The good news is that it is extremely easy to rebuild the EFI System Partition.

NavyLCDR, Sep 17, 2017
  5. geoB Win User
    I've finally gotten around to assigning drive letters - to no avail. chkdsk /r did not help.

More detail:
    One of the partitions in the attempted image is display in red in Reflect:
    Drive letter for EFI system partition? [​IMG]

There is nothing of note when viewing the disk in either Disk Management or diskpart.

Still stuck. Is there a Macrium solution (so we can keep its installation) or should we go elsewhere?

6. Word Man Win User
    The red coloration just means the partition is nearly full. Did you run chkdsk /r on every partition or only the EFI system partition? Or do you know the error is being thrown while imaging the EFI system partition rather than another?

Word Man, Oct 24, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    It's pretty easy to rebuild the EFI System Partition. You just have delete the corrupt one. Create a primary partition where it used to be, format it as FAT32, assign it a drive letter. Run the command:

bcdboot C:\Windows /s F: /f UEFI

Make sure the drive letter in Red is the drive letter currently assigned to the Windows partition, and the orange drive letter is the letter assigned to the new EFI System partition.

Then remove the drive letter from the EFI Partition and change the partition ID to: c12a7328-f81f-11d2-ba4b-00a0c93ec93b

All of that can be done in an admin Command Prompt with diskpart commands (and exit diskpart to run bcdboot command).

If you know what you are doing, takes less than 2 minutes to accomplish.

NavyLCDR, Oct 25, 2017
  8. geoB Win User

@Word Man:
    "Did you run chkdsk /r on every partition or only the EFI system partition? Or do you know the error is being thrown while imaging the EFI system partition rather than another?"

I did not run chkdsk /r on every partition - I only ran it once, assuming that it ran on the entire disk. This sounds like in inaccurate assumption. Does chkdsk need to be run against every volume?

@NavyLCDR:

I may eventually get to rebuilding EFI once I learn where the error is. That appears to be the harder part right now.

9. Word Man Win User
    Well, you need to know which partition/drive the error occurred on to correct the error. I imagine chkdsk without a drive letter specification just runs on the system drive (c: in your case), it runs on a specified volume/partition not across an entire physical disk.

I know that there is a thread at the Macrium support forum discussing the case where a cluster error occurred processing the EFI system partition (ESP) - was that perhaps your reference to "Macrium's suggested solution"?

If nothing wrong with your ESP, chkdsk on that with a drive letter assigned would come up good and you would still be looking for the error.

So, perhaps you need to run "chkdsk d: /r" (substitute the target drive letter for d: ) on each partition to find out which is bad - i.e., if the Macrium error message during the backup dialogue doesn't indicate which partition it is.

Word Man, Oct 25, 2017
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Macrium Reflect will tell you which partition it is failing on. One thing you can do is to select the option to image one partition only. Start with your smallest partitions and work your way up in size. Then you know for sure which partition is failing.

NavyLCDR, Oct 25, 2017
  11. geoB Win User
    The procedure that enabled creating a system image:

With diskpart, selected disk and volume containing the ESP partition. Assigned a drive letter with assign letter=E. Exited diskpart and opened an admin shell. Called chkdsk E: /r. Declined to dismount and accepted running chkdsk on restart. Restarted. Opened Reflect and successfully created a system image. Interestingly, the drive letter assignment disappeared.

Thanks to Word Man & NavyLCDR my wife can now image and back up her system.

Thema:

1. Drive letter for EFI system partition? - Similar Threads - Drive letter EFI

2. Multiple EFI system partitions on C drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple EFI system partitions on C drive: Been trying to do a dual boot with windows 11 & 10 on my c drive by running a windows 10 usb boot drive to install.It didnt work, windows 10 failing to create a boot setup and i`m left with lots of small 100MB partitions on my c drive. Any idea which i can remove, i`m trying...
  3. Multiple EFI system partitions on C drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multiple EFI system partitions on C drive: Been trying to do a dual boot with windows 11 & 10 on my c drive by running a windows 10 usb boot drive to install.It didnt work, windows 10 failing to create a boot setup and i`m left with lots of small 100MB partitions on my c drive. Any idea which i can remove, i`m trying...
  4. Changing the Drive Letter of a System Partition.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Changing the Drive Letter of a System Partition.: I recently performed a custom installation of Windows to get rid of another problem I was having. It left a SYSTEM D: drive in my files that I can't access. When I tried to plugged in my external hard drive, it defaulted to an E: drive letter. This messed with some paths for...
  5. Changing the Drive Letter of a System Partition.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing the Drive Letter of a System Partition.: I recently performed a custom installation of Windows to get rid of another problem I was having. It left a SYSTEM D: drive in my files that I can't access. When I tried to plugged in my external hard drive, it defaulted to an E: drive letter. This messed with some paths for...
  6. Changing the Drive Letter of a System Partition.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. EFI System Partition and Recovery Partition are not located on C: drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    EFI System Partition and Recovery Partition are not located on C: drive: I noticed that my main Windows SSD does not have an EFI System Partition and Recovery Partition. These two partitions are located on my HDD. I would like to know if it is possible to create these two partitions on the SSD disk and remove them on the HDD disk without losing...
  8. System, EFI System Partition

in Windows 10 Customization
    System, EFI System Partition: Two questions please -1] I had installed UBUNTU on my desktop PC, operating with Windows 10 PRO version 21H1; OS Build 19043.1202, and later removed the UBUNTU software. UBUNTU was installed on a separate SSD i.e., not on the SSD where the Windows OS is installed.The UBUNTU...
  9. Assigned Drive letters for EFI partitions.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Assigned Drive letters for EFI partitions.: Basically, I've tried cloning my windows to a bigger drive with AOMEI Partition Assistant following jayz2cents' video but I think I messed it up because my EFI partitions showed up in File Explorer. I've tried a couple of solutions online like command prompt to remove...
  10. SYSTEM is the EFI partition and how do I remove the drive letter and make it inaccessible?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SYSTEM is the EFI partition and how do I remove the drive letter and make it inaccessible?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Madesh1326 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/irtvrl/system_is_the_efi_partition_and_how_do_i_remove/

Users found this page by searching for:

1. efi partition does not have drive letter

2. windows keeps mounting a letter to the efi partition

3. change drive letter efi partition

4. efi system partition change drive letter,
  5. windows uefi partitions assign letter,
  6. assign letter to efi drive,
  7. add letter to.efi win 10,
  8. i have assigned a letter to system partition,
  9. assign letter to efi partition hodden,
  10. windows cant assign drive letter to efi partition,
  11. uefi assign letter,