Windows 10: Drive Letter

Discus and support Drive Letter in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have automatic updates for windows 10. I have a separate drive normally connected to one of my windows devices. For many years this drive now... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by RobertJessop1, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Drive Letter

I have automatic updates for windows 10.

I have a separate drive normally connected to one of my windows devices. For many years this drive now identifies 100's of folders and many more files. When first installed it was allocated letter 'F' which since my latest update has now been referenced letter 'G'. when trying to change the drive letter back to 'F' the letter is not available. My files are referenced throughout all my systems and devices (also emails and remote) using drive 'F'. This is almost an insurmountable problem. I hope there is a simple solution available. Help!

Regards Bob Jessop.

:)

RobertJessop1, Jul 4, 2018
  2. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Jan 29, 2020
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Problem with letter drives confusing Sony Vegas

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Open Disk Management (press [Win] +[R], type "diskmgmt.msc", and press [Enter]).
    • In the lower pane, right-click on the partition that you want to change drive letter, and click "Change Drive Letter and Paths"
    • A dialog should come up, showing the partition's current drive letter. Even if it is correct, click [Change].
    • From the dropdown, select any new letter, and then [OK] your way back to Disk Management. And check if it helps.

Hope this information is helpful. Do let us know if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Arun B J, Jan 29, 2020
  4. Drive Letter

Cannot change drive letter

Hello,

I request you to try the steps below:

• Press "Windows" + "R" on the keyboard.
    • Type "diskmgmt.msc" and press Enter key.
    • Now right click on the drive and select Change drive letter or path.
    • Select the drive and click on Change.
    • Now select the drive letter and click on OK.

If you have any further queries, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), Jan 29, 2020
Thema:

Drive Letter

1. Drive Letter - Similar Threads - Drive Letter

2. USB Storage devices can not have Drive Letter assigned - Disk Management Console View Is...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Storage devices can not have Drive Letter assigned - Disk Management Console View Is...: Recently I realised I can no longer use USB storage devices on my Windows 11 pc.On investigating, I realised that the USB storage devices are appearing in "Disk Management", but they don't have a drive letter assigned.When I try to assign one using "Change Drive Letter and...
  3. USB Storage devices can not have Drive Letter assigned - Disk Management Console View Is...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB Storage devices can not have Drive Letter assigned - Disk Management Console View Is...: Recently I realised I can no longer use USB storage devices on my Windows 11 pc.On investigating, I realised that the USB storage devices are appearing in "Disk Management", but they don't have a drive letter assigned.When I try to assign one using "Change Drive Letter and...
  4. BSOD after removing drive letter of my second windows install.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD after removing drive letter of my second windows install.: Hi, I have 2 SSDs. one with a windows 11 22h2 and manjaro linux installed and the second drive has windows 11 23h2. i wanted to make it so that these two don't communicate with each other, so I followed this post,...
  5. BSOD after removing drive letter of my second windows install.

BSOD after removing drive letter of my second windows install.: Hi, I have 2 SSDs. one with a windows 11 22h2 and manjaro linux installed and the second drive has windows 11 23h2. i wanted to make it so that these two don't communicate with each other, so I followed this post,...
  6. Drive letter assignments in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drive letter assignments in Windows 11: Is there any way to freeze drive letter assignments for network mapped drives? I just setup a W11 machine and everytime I reboot, my card readers take over the F and G spots knocking me off the network. Is the only option to make the network drives higher/lower in the...
  7. Drive letter assignments in Windows 11

Drive letter assignments in Windows 11: Is there any way to freeze drive letter assignments for network mapped drives? I just setup a W11 machine and everytime I reboot, my card readers take over the F and G spots knocking me off the network. Is the only option to make the network drives higher/lower in the...
  8. SATA RAID Drives lost drive letters after BIOS update for X670 AORUS Elite AX flash

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SATA RAID Drives lost drive letters after BIOS update for X670 AORUS Elite AX flash: Hello, I updated my BIOS using the Gigabyte Control Center Tool in Windows 11. My SATA RAID 0 configuration was drives E and F, 2 2TB SATA SSDs, now Windows seems them in Computer Management but does not have the previous drive letters assigned to them.Processor AMD Ryzen 7...
  9. SATA RAID Drives lost drive letters after BIOS update for X670 AORUS Elite AX flash

SATA RAID Drives lost drive letters after BIOS update for X670 AORUS Elite AX flash: Hello, I updated my BIOS using the Gigabyte Control Center Tool in Windows 11. My SATA RAID 0 configuration was drives E and F, 2 2TB SATA SSDs, now Windows seems them in Computer Management but does not have the previous drive letters assigned to them.Processor AMD Ryzen 7...
  10. Blue question mark on new SSD drive and can not find "Assign Drive Letter" option

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Blue question mark on new SSD drive and can not find "Assign Drive Letter" option: This nooby decided to swap one secondary SSD drive with a new one in my laptop. But i got a blue questionmark. I started doing some Googling and released it was something to do with windows not able to to assgin a drive letter to the drive.I have check the connection which...