Windows 10: Drive Letters, will they be overwritten or reassigned?

Discus and support Drive Letters, will they be overwritten or reassigned? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hey Everyone, Good day to all of you! I bought 2 new 3tb WD My Books that I will getting next week. First, the two that I have currently have a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by mrje1, Nov 28, 2016.

1. mrje1 Win User

Drive Letters, will they be overwritten or reassigned?

Hey Everyone,

Good day to all of you!

I bought 2 new 3tb WD My Books that I will getting next week. First, the two that I have currently have a Drive letter of E and F. I am doing a wipe and a clean install of Windows 10 pro x64 once I get the new drives. After the wipe and clean install, I will be plugging one at a time the new HDD's. Once I start plugging in the hard drives I had previously what will happen? Does windows reassign them automatically the drive letters or will they override the new drives? Because I don't want them to override the new hard drives.

Thank you for your help and assistance!

:)

mrje1, Nov 28, 2016
  2. RPMM Win User

Just did a hard reset - pictures will be overwritten?

I just did a hard reset of my windows phone 7. I just realized that the pictures and videos I take on the phone are now again wp_00000, wp_00001, etc.

I already have such files on my desktop under Pictures > My Focus > Camera Roll folder.

The next time I sync, will those pictures on the PC get overwritten or will the new images get written to the PC as wp_00000-1.jpg, etc.?

3. Entegy Win User
    Just did a hard reset - pictures will be overwritten?

As someone in the same situation, the files will simply be named "WP_0001(1).jpg". It will not overwrite existing pictures synced to your desktop.

Entegy, Nov 28, 2016
  4. Drive Letters, will they be overwritten or reassigned?

if you want to assign new letters to the new drives and keep you current drive letters assigned like they are now i suggest you take a screenshot of pc so you can manually reassign the various drive letters. i have the following saved in a folder on my backup drive called post os install. hope this helps.

Drive Letters, will they be overwritten or reassigned? [​IMG]

fyi after fixing the drive letter assignments i hide the drive letters so everything lines up numerically and alphabetically

xXWhacerXx, Nov 28, 2016
  5. mrje1 Win User
    Thank you for your help and assistance xXWhacerXx! If you can clarify this first, because I believe I saw a warning on this that by changing the drive letter can ruin other things that are mapped to it. I would like to not change the drive letters once they are assigned, but if you are not having any problems I guess that could be something that I saw wrong.

Also, do you think that having the drive letters as explained before and plugging in the other ones that had the same drive letter will overwrite the new ones or change them automatically?

mrje1, Nov 28, 2016
  6. now if you have items that are mapped as in another computer on the network seeing the drive, then yes when you click on the item from that computer and the drive letter has changed it won't find it. but as far as just accessing secondary drives on the same computer no the drive letters changing won't have any adverse effect, unless say you have various files from you main drive stored on a secondary drive. for example some people move their programs to a second drive to save space on c and c accesses the files on that drive to run the installed program(s).

if i understand you correctly you want to rerun your os, hookup the new drives and not have their drive letters automatically changed? if that's the case then they will keep whatever letter windows or you assigned to them no matter how many drive you attach after them.

xXWhacerXx, Nov 28, 2016
  7. mrje1 Win User
    Thank you again xXWhacerXx for your response, time and assistance. You are understanding correctly. To reiterate to make sure I am understanding. When I start afresh, by rerunning or installing a clean install of Windows and then start to plug-in the hard drives one by one, Windows will assign the drive letter that is first available and go down the list of other drives I plug-in there after, but any previous drive letters that were assigned before the clean isntall will be forgotten?

How am I doing so far?

Thank you again!

mrje1, Nov 29, 2016
  8. Drive Letters, will they be overwritten or reassigned?

you my friend are spot on

xXWhacerXx, Nov 29, 2016
  9. mrje1 Win User
    Excellent xXWhacerXx! You are da best! I am really appreciated of your help. You never know what questions come up and if they do I will post again, so keep following the thread if you can!*Smile For now, it looks like I am ready to go on this.

I hope you had a great Thanksgiving and hope you have a great rest of the week.

mrje1, Nov 29, 2016
  10. thanks dude hope your turkey day was great too.

xXWhacerXx, Nov 29, 2016
  11. mrje1 Win User
    *Thumbs

mrje1, Nov 29, 2016
  12. CountMike New Member
    It's important to remember that drive letters are assigned by OS and don't stay with same drive if moved to another position, OS or computer.

CountMike, Nov 30, 2016
  13. Drive Letters, will they be overwritten or reassigned?

really dude i'm pretty sure mrje1 got that.

xXWhacerXx, Nov 30, 2016
  14. CountMike New Member
    Yes, really "Dude".

CountMike, Nov 30, 2016
  15. mrje1 Win User
    Hey CountMike,

Thank you so much for your response, time and asstance! One more twist to the plot, It might be redundant to what you said or what was said earlier, so sorry.

Let's say I plug the brand new hard drives before I do a clean install. For example, I already have 4 external HDD's assigned drive letters E, F, G & H. The new ones I have will get drive letters I and J. That is 6 drives with letters.
    Now, once I do a clean install and plug in the new drives first. From what was said here I am guessing that the newly installed Windows will start from the beginning and label the new hard drives drive letters E & F instead of I and J. Am I right on?

mrje1, Dec 1, 2016
Thema:

Drive Letters, will they be overwritten or reassigned?

1. Drive Letters, will they be overwritten or reassigned? - Similar Threads - Drive Letters overwritten

2. Windows in second drive overwritten frist drive bootloader

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows in second drive overwritten frist drive bootloader: I've installed an second drive with windows without disconnect the first one.As i read on this thread Prevent Windows from overwriting other OS's bootloader after the instalation, i know i overwrited the boot load from the first drive.I still have access to any file but i...
  3. Windows in second drive overwritten frist drive bootloader

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows in second drive overwritten frist drive bootloader: I've installed an second drive with windows without disconnect the first one.As i read on this thread Prevent Windows from overwriting other OS's bootloader after the instalation, i know i overwrited the boot load from the first drive.I still have access to any file but i...
  4. Overwritten USB drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Overwritten USB drive: Dear Community, I really bred your help. I just tried to install Windows 11 through USB drive but didn't notice that IT would delete everything on it. There are a lot of important files such as travel photos etc. Is there any possible way to restore these files ? Best regards...
  5. Overwritten USB drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Overwritten USB drive: Dear Community, I really bred your help. I just tried to install Windows 11 through USB drive but didn't notice that IT would delete everything on it. There are a lot of important files such as travel photos etc. Is there any possible way to restore these files ? Best regards...
  6. Reassign location of "Documents" folder to secondary Drive??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reassign location of "Documents" folder to secondary Drive??: My laptop has two drives, Drive C: is a Solid State drive w/ 118 GB capacity which is nearly full. Drive D: is a disk that has over 900 GB. Since I am running low on space for Drive C:, I would like to know if its possible to change the location of the "Documents" folder to...
  7. Windows 10 reassigns drive letter on every reboot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 reassigns drive letter on every reboot: For decades now I've been using USB ports on Windows computers to mount portable disk drives. While they are portable i.e., can be easily mounted on other computers they tend to remain on a given computer somewhat permanently. There are lots of reasons why it is desirable...
  8. Removable drives not automatically reassigned drive letters when unplugged and switch around.

Removable drives not automatically reassigned drive letters when unplugged and switch around.: I have an external card reader and a few USB drives, and they are all stuck assigned to the same drive letters that Windows automatically assigned them when first used. I have unplugged them all at one point or another without ejecting them from Windows, and though they all...
  9. Already assigned and active drive letters being reassigned

Already assigned and active drive letters being reassigned: I have many systems in house that have dual USB hdd docks. These normally have two drives installed. I have assigned specific drives letters via disk manager. However when another USB storage device is added the drive letters for the two active drives in the dock will...
  10. Win 10 mixes up hard drives and reassigns drive letters

Win 10 mixes up hard drives and reassigns drive letters: Got a problem using shared data disks with windows 10. Win10 insists on reassigning drive letters for my hard drives, I started off with : a 1 Tb drive as C: a 2Tb drive split into 2 volumes drives D: and E:, a further 1Tb drive as drive F:, a DVD drive as drive G:...